Check EV system

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter

Hi all,

Looking for advice. Got the "check EV system immediately" warning a few weeks ago, and took it to a local dealer (Mossy Toyota). They've had it 3.5 weeks now and haven't figured out a single thing. They seem to get a Tesla tech to come only every 1-2 weeks, and so far they have not even been able to communicate properly with the car's computer. They scarcely return our calls or answer our emails, and haven't given any kind of estimate or explanation of how they plan to charge us for their unproductive time spent.

Is there any better dealer in SoCal for service we should move it to? Anyone with experience on this issue, or other advice?

Thank you!

scooter said:
Hi all,

Looking for advice. Got the "check EV system immediately" warning a few weeks ago, and took it to a local dealer (Mossy Toyota). They've had it 3.5 weeks now and haven't figured out a single thing. They seem to get a Tesla tech to come only every 1-2 weeks, and so far they have not even been able to communicate properly with the car's computer. They scarcely return our calls or answer our emails, and haven't given any kind of estimate or explanation of how they plan to charge us for their unproductive time spent.

Is there any better dealer in SoCal for service we should move it to? Anyone with experience on this issue, or other advice?

Thank you!

Hmm...that's the exact error I got before my EV died. I really hope you don't experience what I went through this week: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2499&p=29503

I also got this error message the other day. I was able to clear the error by turning the car off and on 4 times. So far it seems fine so hoping for the best. I also noticed my G48 coolant was down some so I bought a gallon at NAPA and topped it off.

My Rav4EV has been a great car (38K miles) but at some point I'm sure Ill need some repairs. Does anyone know of a good Toyota dealer in the Sacramento area that has Rav4EV knowledge?

thanks

If the coolant was low, it went somewhere. It does not evaporate.

Pull the speed sensor on the drive unit ASAP. if it has moisture on it, the drive unit has an internal leak and the drive unit's inverter is about to be scrap. Discontinue powering it on until repaired, or you'll be "rebuilding" the DU with inverter boards from some other donor DU.

Or, just budget for DU replacement.

I assume the speed sensor is located under the car. Any special tools required? Also, replacing the speed sensor (if wet) would not fix the problem of the internal leak, right? If the speed sensor isn't wet then why the drop of G48 coolant? I'm not sure what the next step would be. Sounds like I need to have the car serviced anyway. Right?

Thanks

You may want to read this thread for background. It's only six posts. The last post shows the area of the DU directly below the area where the speed sensor resides.

The speed sensor's on the passenger side of the Drive Unit. It plugs in horizontally on the side. Hopefully, somebody who's removed it can chime in with R&R info. It's approximately directly below the A/C compressor, and with a flashlight you can barely see it from underhood by shining the light under the coolant pump. But I have doubts it can be removed from there.

IMG_0175-Speed_Sensor_01d.png

IMG_0185-Speed_Sensor_01d.png

From http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2348:

speed_sensor1.gif
file.php
speed_sensor_fluid_.jpg

[later]

Oh! Tony's done a four-minute tutorial video. It's accessed from the passenger wheelwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfncTZcsSHM

Thanks, Great information. One more question.

I added G48 coolant to the traction battery reservoir, not the motor coolant reservoir. Does that make any difference? I would think that the speed sensor would be part of the motor coolant system.

Back