ALL POSTS Charging Sounds, Buzzing when Charging, Noises

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I noticed that after charging my Rav but still plugged in I occasionally hear noise. Charging lights not blinking. Does the Rav continue to circulate coolant when plugged in? If so, this would be good for the battery, right?

Anyone know?

thanks
James

james said:
Hi,

I noticed that after charging my Rav but still plugged in I occasionally hear noise. Charging lights not blinking. Does the Rav continue to circulate coolant when plugged in? If so, this would be good for the battery, right?

Anyone know?

thanks
James

Yes, the coolant pumps can operate any time, but generally only when it's plugged in.

Thanks Tony

I would think that having the coolant circulate when parked / plugged in would help the traction battery. Especially on very hot or cold days. I believe that I heard that Tesla's batteries do well over time because the coolant is constantly circulating. The Rav only when charging or driving.

I think I'll start keeping it plugged in all the time. Could make a difference over time

james

3503 buzzed for one year and 12,000 miles. I always charge on the level two between 6KW and 10 KW. During charging sometimes the buzz would stop for a moment and then continue, but it was always present during all the charges. Until last week when I drove my car down to the last bar of charge. I pulled into the charging station at work and charged for seven hours at 6KW. Since then I haven't heard a buzz regardless of when I charge. I'm concerned that maybe this means that I will have to replace the onboard charger at some point.

Well, the buzzing stopped for a while, but then came back. Then I got the recall firmware update a couple weeks ago and now it's buzzing when it is not charging (juicebox not indicating power draw). :?:

The buzzing charging sound is from the dehumidifier for the battery pack, to get rid of moisture from coolant system connections. An air pump in it made the noice. I cut a hole under driver seat to access it. The thermo fuse 152c for the electric heater was open, so I hear the noice for nothing. The heater was 12v 35w to heat the silica gel to vent humidity outside the battery. Now I got ride of the gut of the dehumidifier, replaced it with bag of blue silica gel, which required replacement one a year. I don’t have the buzzing charging sound anymore.
Both of my RAV4 EV had the thermofuse broken who know when, yours is likely broken too.
Tesla haven’t issued a recall, they were still in a learning curve when the battery were built. Every cell has venting holes, if moisture get in it’s life is shortened. Too much moisture could condensed in battery pack to cause a short.
I try to post photos here but don’t know how.

Samli said:
The buzzing charging sound is from the dehumidifier for the battery pack, to get rid of moisture from coolant system connections. An air pump in it made the noice. I cut a hole under driver seat to access it. The thermo fuse 152c for the electric heater was open, so I hear the noice for nothing. The heater was 12v 35w to heat the silica gel to vent humidity outside the battery. Now I got ride of the gut of the dehumidifier, replaced it with bag of blue silica gel, which required replacement one a year. I don’t have the buzzing charging sound anymore.
Both of my RAV4 EV had the thermofuse broken who know when, yours is likely broken too.
Tesla haven’t issued a recall, they were still in a learning curve when the battery were built. Every cell has venting holes, if moisture get in it’s life is shortened. Too much moisture could condensed in battery pack to cause a short.
I try to post photos here but don’t know how.

Mine is making similar noise now. I am 6 months on a new battery and it started after a recent rainstorm so I am assuming it is what was described here. I am a DIY guy for most anything else except cars, but would like to try this since I am in Arizona and the dealers here don't want to touch the car. Has anyone else tried this? Pictures would be helpful from anyone.

Back