Repair techs cannot communicate with onboard computer

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't take long after re-reading my post to see that I had it upside down. That's why I had CAN-H and CAN-L where RXP and RXM should have been. I should have trusted my initial instinct, which was that feeding a CAN signal into an Ethernet adapter was weird.

I built my adapter based on this image.

To my eye, this seemed as if the narrow side of the connector was at the bottom of the image.

However, comparing to this image, the error of my ways was pretty evident.

Anyway, long story short, I corrected my adapter and gave it another try. I needed to add a firewall rule specifically for network_configuration.exe, and execute that directly as Administrator to get the adapter configured in Vehicle Mode.

I've got the green indicator of success.

ddoxey said:
I took the CAN data collected on Pican2 and I was able to load it into Savvy CAN and make some really neat pictures.

I read a lot of activity on the Tesla owner forums about using this type of analysis to reverse engineer identifying the CAN signals by simply eyeballing the correlations between signal behavior and indications in the car.

Glad to see you were able to get CAN working, as well as ethernet too.

I'm curious about the screenshot you show above: is this taken from being connected to your RAV4? If so, there are several CAN ID's I'm surprised to see, because they haven't been present in the CAN stream of other RAV4's I've looked at (eg x200, x300, etc.)

RE:
If so, there are several CAN ID's I'm surprised to see, because they haven't been present in the CAN stream of other RAV4's I've looked at (eg x200, x300, etc.)

I took another look at my data. I used an awk script to transform the raw Pican2 dump to .gvret for import to Savvy CAN. I found a bug in my awk script. (The values are already hex and I formatted them with %08X.) So, those strange codes are wrong.

This is a great discussion. Can someone please tell me what has to be done to get the Tesla Powertrain Diagnostic software? I tried the thing I found that said it's free but not anymore. Service.Tesla.CN

Back