RAV4 EV Gateway ECU vs Supercharger Gateway ECU

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asavage

Supporting Member
A Gateway module just hit eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/314423314345), $2,000, though it looks like it's been underwater for a month. New, Toyota's price is ~$2800.

The RAV4 EV Gateway ECU bears a striking resemblance to the Tesla Gateway module used in the early Tesla Superchargers, which leads me to wonder if a Supercharger Gateway (eBay https://www.ebay.de/itm/234267863745, ~USD$325) could be re-flashed to operate in the RAV4 EV. Physically, they look identical.

For reference, here's mine (Tesla 1010386-00-C; Toyota 89881-10R011):

(The blue OBD-like DLC3 connector isn't part of the Gateway, physically or electrically.)

And the early Supercharger gateway (Tesla 1032183-00-A):

The early Supercharger Gateways don't come up available all that often, but then neither do the RAV4 EV version.

1. Only a practical test can confirm or deny the possibility of using this gateway.
Need / can / should try with the risk of losing money...

2. Only if this program
2022.jpg

is able to connect with this block*, it will be possible to find out about the possibility of updating to RAV4EV v.1.3.101.

* In addition, signals to DLC No.2, which are used to connect the diagnostic cable by this program, may NOT be output to its connector.
DLC3no2rav4ev.gif

asavage said:
A Gateway module just hit eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/314423314345), $2,000, though it looks like it's been underwater for a month. New, Toyota's price is ~$2800.

In case anyone's interested, the eBay Seller just made me an offer of USD$1900 for this. I declined, as that's not a whole lot less than a new one, and it does not appear to have been stored in the best of circumstances.

Nope, don't need one. I wanted to post here about the (visual) similarity of the Gateway module used in early Superchaargers, to our RAV4 EV Gateway modules. My car is OK . . . for now, though it's been in the body shop for three weeks -- another person changed lanes into me again. Their insurance is covering it, but it means I'm driving the old AWD Sienna for a while . . . and I got to re-use my TPMS tool and bead-breaker to change the TPMS sensors on the van . . . just as I predicted :/

[The same brand of sensors that worked successfully on the RAV4 did not work on the Sienna (though they're different part Nos.). While the TS508 could read them fine, the van would only recognize two of them. I had to but a different brand of TPMS sensor -- Autel 1-SENSORM -- and use the TS508 to be Sienna-compatible, then swap them in. Van liked those fine. So, I've gotten a lot of experience around TPMS sensors and tire bead-breaking this year.

Amazon took the bad set back, but the Autel's were four times the price of the Amazon-sourced ones. I am doing a lot of flying etc. for the next two weeks and didn't want to miss the Amazon return window on the bad set, so I just bought the Autel's locally, and paid the price.]

Back