RAV4 EV soundsystem upgrade?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

I know this not likely a hot topic, but has anyone given thought to a sound system upgrade that would improve the sound but retain the stock headunit/NAV system? It would likely be speakers that would need upgrading but I'm not sure.

swogee said:
I know this not likely a hot topic, but has anyone given thought to a sound system upgrade that would improve the sound but retain the stock headunit/NAV system? It would likely be speakers that would need upgrading but I'm not sure.
Look at the conventional rav4 forums. Plenty of people have done this.

I upgraded my sound system within the first month - see my signature below for details. I also had the doors dynamatted for sound insulation and it cuts down quite a bit of road noise (together with changing out the OEM tires to Continentals -tire details below).

But are those amps running off the speaker level outputs or does the head unit provide line level outputs in the back? that would be sweet if they did!

How do you like those Focal's? I guess I should have listened to your car while were were all sitting there charging! :lol:

LastEmp said:
I upgraded my sound system within the first month - see my signature below for details. I also had the doors dynamatted for sound insulation and it cuts down quite a bit of road noise (together with changing out the OEM tires to Continentals -tire details below).

Looks he is using a DSP to remix the speaker level outputs before the aftermarket amp. I have been researching on how to integrate an amp also but only thing I have found is the speaker level outputs on the JBL amp in the rear passenger side panel. If anyone has a line level output from the nav system I am all for it but it seems to be a digital connection to the amp/processor from JBL.

I was wondering if just speaker upgrade would help the sound?

An external amp and sub sound nice but more work/cost than I have time for.

I wasn't able to find a definite answer on rav4world if just a speaker upgrade would help the sound.

swogee said:
I was wondering if just speaker upgrade would help the sound?

An external amp and sub sound nice but more work/cost than I have time for.

I wasn't able to find a definite answer on rav4world if just a speaker upgrade would help the sound.

I am not sure what the ohm rating on the stock speakers. I am guessing 2 ohm as the amp is so small. That would be a real worry if you put 4 ohm speakers when replacing the speakers, the amp may be pushed too hard. Also the tuning currently is done in the amp so each speaker is not getting processed signal to it which will sound wierd if the cross over points are not match to the speaker you are planning to install.

LastEmp, how much does it roughly cost to have the doors dynamatted for sound insulation? Who did it for you? Thanks!

My unsophisticated understanding is that the Cleansweep digital signal processor connects to the factory head speaker outputs and strips away/removes the pre-set factory equalization to provide a "clean" signal to the 5 channel amplifier, which in turn provides signals/power to the 4 speakers and subwoofer. BTW, I also upgraded the rear speakers to Alpine SPS-610s and btw the Focals sound great, clear vocals and mid range with no distortion at higher volumes (note the door sound matting reduces reverberations). These Crutchfield links provide better explanations:
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/factory/upgrade_video2.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9vbxIKqbcuH/learn/learningcenter/factory/sound_processors.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BO6vjMunbh6/learn/2006-2012-toyota-rav4.html (note suggestion to replace stereo and not factory amplifier is probably more applicable to non-EV RAV4s without the integrated stereo/NAV touchscreen unit)

Regarding the question on most bang for the buck/least trouble audio upgrade, I can't speak firsthand since I had the complete upgrade done (although I went into the audio shop thinking ~$300 speaker upgrade was enough and walked out $1500 lighter lol). The RAV4 owner in the link below seemed to think the most bang for the buck is clearly upgrading speakers (esp. if you go with the Focals and sound deadening in the doors). The 4 speakers + noise dampening cost about $600 in my case. FYI, the amp was ~ $430, DSP ~ $220, subwoofer ~$120, labor ~$150 (including soundproofing). Bought the equipment and had it installed at Advanced Car Creations in Garden Grove (4.5 stars on Yelp) - they did a great job and were competitive with their pricing.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/119242-250-gives-great-sound-improvement.html

Thanks for the links and the info.

I read the post about the speaker upgrade and I got the impression the op had a 2013 RAV4 which may be slightly different than ours in terms of the sound system components.

I think a speaker upgrade is my preferred route, but I need to do more research on cost and effectiveness.

It looks like in Europe they actually sell a JBL upgrade kit for the RAV4. It isn't cheap though.

Do not go the route of just replacing the speakers. I did it and all bass is gone. I went through 3 sets of different brands which fit the rms power of our stock units. Yes, you will get clearer sound but NO BASS which make music sound terrible.

fusiondynamics said:
Do not go the route of just replacing the speakers. I did it and all bass is gone. I went through 3 sets of different brands which fit the rms power of our stock units. Yes, you will get clearer sound but NO BASS which make music sound terrible.
The Rav4 EV has the JBL optional amp installed. Which means each speaker is getting a signal that has been process specifically for the stock speakers. Replacing the speaker will definitely sound pretty weird. Only real path to upgrade and retaining the Nav unit is a processor such as a "Cleansweep" or Audison Bit (one or ten) to remix to a full sound signal off the speaker out and feed into a aftermarket amp.

Quick question, since the Rav doesn't have a CD player, how are you guys running the Cleansweep test tones and software? I just ordered one and still have a few old school SoundStream Ref 405 & 300 amps from back in the day ( :lol: ahhh the 90's!!!)

Convert it over to USB in mp3 format?

My plan is to BrownBread (now b-quiet http://b-quiet.com/) everything.. and since I'm an Infinity guy, probably load up on some Ref mids and tweets and I still have my original SaS bazooka 6.5/8" and 10" tubes sitting up in the garage that I'll have to throw a new driver into. The SS Ref 300 will be driving that. The SS Ref 450 everything else.

I would convert the test tones to Wav or Flac and run it throught the aux input to setup the clean sweep. I am going with a Audison Bit One but have not decided what amps to use. I am trying to make sure that I can get all the function of the Nav before I make a move. I have som B-quiet left from my prius project from a few years ago so I will do the same. Amp wise I think I may go with those new more efficient amp. I just want to setup a 2 way front and sub in the rear, super simple system.

Why not just insulate around the speakers first?

I insulated my van a few years back, the result was night and day with the speakers getting more solid thump. I guess I am not too old for 12" woofer setup now, but I like the clean bass for just doing insulation.

I wish this were all a lot easier - my wife would love to get the sound system upgraded (and lose the HD cutting in and out all the time) but its all too complicated for me. I may just have to put myself at the mercy of a car radio shop - :eek:

Alot of us don't like "average".. Plus I'm an audiophile myself and the Leaf/Rav are the only vehicles I've never touched. But now I'm going to do something about it.

Just a personal preference. I miss my sound system from my Hybrid Altima. But the stock system is better than most, I do agree.

I had the sound system modified on our 2013 RAV4ev and plan to do so on our newly purchased 2014 also.

Audio Control DQ61 used to convert speaker output to line level and equalize signals
JL AUDIO XD700/5 amplifier
Hybrid Audio 6.5" Stage III Unity components in the front
Hybrid Audio 6.5" Stage II Imagine in the rear
JL Audio CS110G-TW3 Pro-Wedge
Dynamat in the front and rear door panels.

Very clean sound. Love it!
Walnut Creek Customs did the install and moved the USB port inside the center console and the sport button to where the usb plug was located. Sub volume control was then installed where the sport button used to be located.

Cost just under $3K

Back