Best choice for a second car?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatfische

My 2001 Volvo wagon appears to be in death throes and is back at the mechanic's for a second time in a week, so I'm seriously considering buying a new second car.

We've been some of the lucky ones; our RAV4 EV, with the exception of the 31st-of-the-month charge timer bug, has been problem free. We purchased the RAV4 EV cheap at the end of May, and it's been a great daily commuter for my wife, so it'll be our primary car for a while.

I don't put much mileage on our cars; I generally drive 2-3 times a week on fairly short trips, with 2-3 long trips each month. That's low enough mileage to consider a Zipcar or rentals for when we need a second car, and certainly saves on hassle with registration and parking, but we tried that before I bought the Volvo, and we found that dealing with rentals was aggravating and expensive enough to make it worthwhile to have a second car.

I can go and get another used beater like my old Volvo, but I've been spoiled by the smooth ride, cheap power and keyless features of the RAV4 EV; it's been a jarring experience getting into the Volvo after getting used to the RAV4. I'm considering getting a plug-in hybrid. But there are a few catches:

1) We have a single-car garage. This means that whatever car I get I'll need to street-park; it'll get a little beat up on the streets of SF, and if it's a plug-in, I'd need to "sneak it in" to the charger.

2) We're claiming the $7500 Federal credit for the RAV4 EV as well as the credit for our EVSE on our 2013 taxes, which will be great. I'm not sure we're going to make enough to be able to claim much more than that, though, so if I got a plug-in, I would probably lease rather than buy to take advantage of the federal credits.

3) I'm 6'5", and I just don't fit well in the Prius, not even the Prius V. (The RAV4 EV is great for me, with lots of headroom and good visibility.)

Thoughts on the best deal for complementing the RAV4 EV? I'm planning on looking at the Volt, the Fusion Energi and the Accord Plug-in, as well as conventional, larger, used cars with mileage >25mpg.

eschatfische said:
Thoughts on the best deal for complementing the RAV4 EV? I'm planning on looking at the Volt, the Fusion Energi and the Accord Plug-in, as well as conventional, larger, used cars with mileage >25mpg.
Your thought of an EV with an ICE extender is perfect. Of the ones listed, I think the volt is best since it's nearly purely electric for the first 40 miles (of course, I'm biased because I have one). The others to consider include the Mitshubishi Outlander EREV or perhaps the BMW i3 with extender (the i3 extender is somewhat limited). The deals on the Volt right now are amazing; you can get one for about 21K after incentives in California.

I would also take a look at the volt. You should be able to find some 2011 coming off their leases for a cheap price. I would say $20k range.

I am 6' and I cannot put the drivers seat all the way back. I need to bring it up a few notches. May be worth a look.

Honda Fit EV - $259 per month no money down lease for 3 years. Includes free charger and unlimited miles.

I would also consider the 2014 Mazda 3 which is all new designed and gets 40MPG. Around $20K base. Rave reviews as well.

All good suggestions but I thought the idea was to have a car that can go further with an ICE since he already had a Rav4 EV.

VW Golf TDI.

You're tall. I'm 6'7" and have more room and significantly better visibility in my VW Golf than any car I've ever owned (mine's a two door). Those rear view mirrors which are increasingly mounted too low to see out the windshield? Not a problem in the Golf.

You live in SF, the Golf is a great city car, easy to park, and annonymous enough to be left alone.

You want this car to be useful for long trips. The golf swallows loads of stuff and is a comfortable cruiser. The TDI is a diesel, which returns excellent highway fuel economy.

You're cheap. :) It's inexpensive and actually quite reliable, with excellent resale value.

You're spoiled by Tesla. The Golf TDI has lots of low end torque, which will help you not feel so let down when you forgo your awesome Rav4.

I also like the suggestion of the Mazda 3, but I can't vouch for fit, and I like the more mature styling of the VW both inside and out.

Good luck!

I wouldn't buy a VW due to their usually not very good reliability. And, diesel's usually more expensive than regular gasoline. Right now per http://fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/?redirectto=http://fuelgaugereport.opisnet.com/index.asp, it's nationally even more than premium.

Since this will only be a second car, and you ruled out the Prius..
i think a traditional ICE will do.
my vote is goes to a 2014 Mazda 6 or 3 with the new sky active technology. :D
Fun to drive, great gas milage ( up to 40mpg highway).

Other cars in our garage are 2013 Lexus RX 350 and 2011 Toyota Prius HB Four.

Back