Longer Range Battery / Extra battery

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know of any dealers participating in the used EV tax credit program for these cars?

My understanding is a dealership has to register to participate in the used EV tax program.

I've read in other forums that some folks have had success claiming the federal used EV credit on an otherwise private purchase by going through Keysavvy:

https://www.keysavvy.com/pay-private-seller/ev

The first step should be trying a different charging station; your 110V cord may be dead. Plugshare.com shows three publicly available stations in Williams: the Hampton Inn, the Holiday Inn Express, and the Grand Canyon Railway hotel.

As Al mentioned, if you continue to experience problems, please start a fresh thread relevant to your situation.
That make sense and seems logical. thank you. I had a 220 40 amp circuit installed at my house also i will try that too. What is a good 110 charger i could buy if the one i have now is bad and not working?

Bear in mind that a 40a circuit will only support 32a continuous, per NEC ("code"). Be sure and configure your new EVSE accordingly. The RAV4 EV will theoretically draw 40a continuous if you let it (mine tops out at ~38.2a usually). Don't make the mistake of configuring your EVSE to allow 40a current, because while it'll work, it's not code-compliant and you could theoretically run into issues later. The car and EVSE won't care, but your wiring/panel/breaker/receptacle will.

I haven't used my Toyota-supplied portable EVSE four times in seven years, and it's always worked, though it charges at like 3 MPH. For home charging (at separate locations) I own three OpenEVSE units. I talk about my original one here. I believe they sell a 32a version (?).

Do you know of any dealers participating in the used EV tax credit program for these cars?
There must be brick & mortar dealerships participating all over the place. Keysavvy is an online dealership like Carvana and they act as a middleman for private EV sellers so their buyers can participate in the tax credit.

It is curious who or what in this situation will dock the exchange of data between the BMS board of the donor battery with the patient's Gateway ECU.

In addition, the RAV4 EV battery has 92 cells*, while the Toyota bz4x has 96.
* which are serviced with 16 BMB units
https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/bricks_v.png
bricks_v.png

Last edited:
Put another way, any replacement battery is going to have to be installed at the same time as a different BMS, and the BMS<->Vehicle integration will have to be modified or eliminated.

Replacing the battery has modification implications for the entire EV system, not just the battery. The Tesla BMS interacts with the OBC, DC-DC, battery heater (thermal management), etc. Replace the Tesla BMS with a generic BMS for the new battery modules, and then those other modules won't work on their own.

There is no simple battery upgrade path unless you roll your own on all the EV components.

Put another way, any replacement battery is going to have to be installed at the same time as a different BMS, and the BMS<->Vehicle integration will have to be modified or eliminated.

Replacing the battery has modification implications for the entire EV system, not just the battery. The Tesla BMS interacts with the OBC, DC-DC, battery heater (thermal management), etc. Replace the Tesla BMS with a generic BMS for the new battery modules, and then those other modules won't work on their own.

There is no simple battery upgrade path unless you roll your own on all the EV components.

That's why I suggested bZ4X (new RAV4) battery, to continue using the old BMS, etc.
I wonder if the design is the same, other than 92 vs 96 packs? (Tray size, battery size, cooling, etc).
If yes, is it possible to remove the 4 extra packs to make it the same capacity as the original, so that the old system accepts it?
Or, would it still need a new BMS? That'd make it impossible, as you said.

That's why I suggested bZ4X (new RAV4) battery, to continue using the old BMS, etc.
I wonder if the design is the same, other than 92 vs 96 packs? (Tray size, battery size, cooling, etc).
If yes, is it possible to remove the 4 extra packs to make it the same capacity as the original, so that the old system accepts it?
Or, would it still need a new BMS? That'd make it impossible, as you said.
Just because the BZ4X is in a round about way the new EV Rav4, that doesn't mean the BMS or battery pack are remotely related. Yes, they're battery packs, but that's about where the similarities end. Even if the BZ4X was called 'Rav4 EV,' the packs and BMS's would be entirely different. The BZ4X pack isn't made by Tesla, so any remote chance of the packs having similar communication involving the BMS is gone (there isn't an industry standard for communicating with and controlling EV battery packs).
Even the footprint of the BZ4X pack is probably far too large for the RAV4 EV (the Rav4 EV is quite a narrow vehicle compared to BZ4X).
So, unfortunately, that pack is no more likely to be a feasible 'easy' upgrade from the original pack.

You wouldn't replace the BMS, you'd create a bridge board to translate the BMS of the new pack to look like the RAV4EV BMS. Similar to the work done to adapt newer LEAF packs to older LEAFs. Of course, those LEAF packs are so similar that minimal effort is needed to get them to physically fit and translate the commands.

If I were to try to create my own electric SUV, I'd probably do as others have suggested. Pick a gas SUV I liked and transplant an entire Tesla drivetrain and battery.

You wouldn't replace the BMS, you'd create a bridge board to translate the BMS of the new pack to look like the RAV4EV BMS. Similar to the work done to adapt newer LEAF packs to older LEAFs. Of course, those LEAF packs are so similar that minimal effort is needed to get them to physically fit and translate the commands.

If I were to try to create my own electric SUV, I'd probably do as others have suggested. Pick a gas SUV I liked and .

How about transplanting an entire Tesla drivetrain and battery to an already electric RAV4 EV? ;)
I can use the cargo area for extra batteries..
Or, even better, with the new QS SS batteries, I wouldn't need extra space (availability wait time unknown)😁 By then, I'm sure there'll be upgrade kits for every EV.

How about transplanting an entire Tesla drivetrain and battery to an already electric RAV4 EV? ;)
I can use the cargo area for extra batteries..
Or, even better, with the new QS SS batteries, I wouldn't need extra space (availability wait time unknown)😁 By then, I'm sure there'll be upgrade kits for every EV.
I have many videos about this on my youtube channel.

People have been saying this since the Leaf debuted in 2011. Don’t hold your breath.

Agree. However, affordable Solid State batteries (SS) are not out yet. It needs another year or two..

The thing is; I love my RAV4 EV, but my new job requires a longer range. Sadly, I am looking for a new EV, because I cannot extend its range.

Back