Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: PV Solar sizing with and without EV
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:04 am 

montreid wrote:
The question now with the EV is WHEN to plug in and make the most of current overproduction. The way I'm reading this pay amount that SDGE gives, for anyone with access generation, it's worthwhile to use to Charge during that time period instead of super-off peak/non-peak times--except summer On-Peak times.

I don't understand what you're saying.

If you understand the concept of buy low and sell high, then you would produce at peak ( no choice), and consume at super off peak. During summer, it's a 3:1 ratio.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:19 am 

Ferdball wrote:
montreid wrote:
The question now with the EV is WHEN to plug in and make the most of current overproduction. The way I'm reading this pay amount that SDGE gives, for anyone with access generation, it's worthwhile to use to Charge during that time period instead of super-off peak/non-peak times--except summer On-Peak times.

I don't understand what you're saying.

If you understand the concept of buy low and sell high, then you would produce at peak ( no choice), and consume at super off peak. During summer, it's a 3:1 ratio.

Yes, concept is sound IF SDGE plays along with logical reimbursement/charges, which it doesn't for off-peak. The problem is it's NOT a 3:1 ratio cause SDGE buys generation rate only. Sells Generation + distribution. 0.19 for off-peak is ridiculously high. Other states is 0.04-0.06/kwH

Take a closer look at your Buy Low, Sell High concept:
Summer: Peak Sell: 0.35/kwH Buy: Off peak: 0.19 ---makes sense = don't charge.
SemiPeak Sell: 0.10/kwH Buy Off peak 0.19 --- doesn't make sense. = Charge during this time IF one is overproducing
OffPeak Doesn't matter since usually no sun. = Charge as usualy

Winter: Semi-Peak: Sell: 0.08 Buy: off peak 0.19 = Charge during the day if overproduction

--The point is IF one has overproduction either in the Semi-Peak Summer of Semi-Peak in the winter == Charge during that time instead of charging at night.

You'll save even more than the 'buy low' since SDGE 'buys even lower'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:14 am 

montreid wrote:
Yes, concept is sound IF SDGE plays along with logical reimbursement/charges, which it doesn't for off-peak. The problem is it's NOT a 3:1 ratio cause SDGE buys generation rate only. Sells Generation + distribution. 0.19 for off-peak is ridiculously high. Other states is 0.04-0.06/kwH

Take a closer look at your Buy Low, Sell High concept:
Summer: Peak Sell: 0.35/kwH Buy: Off peak: 0.19 ---makes sense = don't charge.
SemiPeak Sell: 0.10/kwH Buy Off peak 0.19 --- doesn't make sense. = Charge during this time IF one is overproducing
OffPeak Doesn't matter since usually no sun. = Charge as usualy

Winter: Semi-Peak: Sell: 0.08 Buy: off peak 0.19 = Charge during the day if overproduction

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. Are you on TOU2 and NEM? Do you have a bill from your 12th month? If so, let's see it.

Otherwise, everyone on this thread is under this assumption:

smkettner wrote:
If you sell 100 kWh at 48 cents you get $48 credit, then use 100 kWh at 22 cents you have $22 in charges.
The net bill has a credit of $26 for zero net usage. (simplistic example)
You will not get a check at the end of the year. But you can save a bundle by installing about 30% less solar.

This is verified from an SDGE employee:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthre ... post349829

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:26 am 

I'm on NEM and DR-SES.

The problem with SDGE bills is that the bill grid is setup for simple Net Metering and doesn't break down the true delivery/generation #s that arrives at the Applied Credit column--one can't simply take the applied credit and divide the negative # unfortunately because there is production in off-peak times too that's factored into the applied credits but not reflected on the left side of the bill grid.

These are the current rates.
http://www.sdge.com/regulatory-filing/2227/time-use-tou
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/file ... 0Table.pdf

My understanding on OVER generation credit on TOU is based on the second to last column which reflects retail generation costs (not the distribution costs--UDC). If this is true, then the credit of OVER Generation on semi-pk times appears LESS than the actual costs to charge during off-peaks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:49 am 

Yeah, I know the bills read one way, but I'm hoping that the actual production credit is based on the time of use prices.

This is the key quote from RandyS:
Quote:
If you are on the EV-TOU2 rate with a PV system, you are credited for your generation produced during the TOU period that it is generated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:07 am 

The other question I have for PV+EV users on TOU; what schedule is more advantageous:

https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/file ... dr-ses.pdf
https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/file ... v-tou2.pdf

EV gets pk times all year long, including weekends. I'm thinking this is even better for PV since even in Dec, between 12n-6p we're still net generators.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:19 am 

Look at dstjohns99's post a few pages earlier.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:04 pm 

So took a closer look at the SDGE bills and dove into the numbers and readings.

I was incorrect about the credit for generation. They actually give full retail and distribution credit until trueup--I wasn't carrying over the balance correctly. So still best option is to charge super-off peak.

Also been debating the whole EV-TOU2 v DR-SES situation. Since our panels are on the west side; generation matches nicely to both schedules.

EV-TOU2 might be shorter 1 hour, but includes weekends so over the 5 summer months; that equals to 200 hours additional solar generation time for the summer.

Tie that in with the super off peak discount differential; thinking of moving over to EV-TOU2.

Trouble is that SDGE has been moving the rates of EV all over the place and the prospect of them lowering the pk rates and closing off DR-SES with new legislation to remove the fallback situation makes me think twice about moving over

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:33 pm 

montreid wrote:
Trouble is that SDGE has been moving the rates of EV all over the place and the prospect of them lowering the pk rates and closing off DR-SES with new legislation to remove the fallback situation makes me think twice about moving over
If you can save money now, take it. You never know what the future will bring. I had a similar situation with PG&E. They have been saying that they would be kicking people out of E-9 and I could have saved money over the winter on EV if I had voluntarily changed. However, it's now May and they haven't kicked me off, so now my energy charges are lower on E-9 again. I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:35 am 

With The Release of Tesla Power Wall for Just $3500 for 10 KW. Has any one calculated what will be the Total cost with Inverter and installation.

Based on the webpage http://www.pge.com/en/mybusiness/save/solar/sgip.page PG&E has a rebate of $1.46 per W. So for 10 KW installation are we going to get back a rebate of 14,600 from PG&E. Too good to be true or my calculations are wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next