Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A tale of two Toyota dealerships
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:47 am 

Take a look at the link I posted above concerning Toyota of Carlsbad Missions Statement. It says do no harm! Glad you made it home safely. Keep us informed as to what you do and the responses you get.
Manny

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:20 am 

SeanSanDiego wrote:
. In retrospect, I should have had my Blink and Chargepoint cards with me - and found a public charger - but good grief give a guy a break.

You don't need the physical card ( Chargepoint and Blink)
just access your account online, using your smartphone.

For Blink, you can generate a code which you will type on the Blink station.
As for Chargepoint, you can Call the helpline and start a charge OR you can actually charge using the app on your smartphone.

Most Toyota dealership are like Carlsbad Toyota in terms of letting you access their charging station.
I will add Frontier Toyota ( Valencia, CA) who refused a charge when i was going very low.
Their excuse was they're not RAV4 EV certified, even though they have chargers for their plug in.

Next time, here's what you do.
Go in directly to the service bay. talk to a service rep and let them do a write up, that's the only way you'll get a charge

2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:21 am 

drmanny3 wrote:
Take a look at the link I posted above concerning Toyota of Carlsbad Missions Statement. It says do no harm! Glad you made it home safely. Keep us informed as to what you do and the responses you get.
Manny

i didn't know Toyota of Carlsbad are in the healthcare business =)

2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 am 

SeanSanDiego wrote:
Toyota does any of this make sense? We need to create a enthusiastic market of buyers for Ev's - please learn from this silly experience.

By the way sorry for the typos - posting one iPhone while stranded along a freeway is distracting at best !

First, dealers are private and not owned by the auto manufacturer by law. Second, Toyota does NOT want enthusiastic EV buyers to compete with their hydrogen car that's due out late this year.

Welcome to the Rav4 EV. I hope you'll reprise your trip this Aug 10, 2014 and join us at the World's Largest Electric Vehicle Gathering in Long Beach.

I just bought my second Rav4 EV from Dianne earlier this week, although I haven't picked it up yet to drive to to San Diego. Hope I don't need to drop into Carlsbad for a charge, although they've done great at repairing my other Rav4 many, many times! Ask for Kaziah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 am 

SeanSanDiego wrote:
... at Toyota Carlsbad (with my son and 2 dogs), I asked a salesman if I could plug in for a few minutes. He informed me that he would ask the manager. A few minutes later, the"certified sales manager" Michael Boone came out and informed me that Toyota Carlsbad has chargers but they are not for public use. I explained my circumstances (including the fact that this was my first trip in the car) and I needed only 5-10miles in range. He told me that he would not make an exception or deviate from his dealership's policy due to liability concerns.

I would attack this "liability" bullshit. What exactly is the liability from a brand new Toyota plug-in electric car plugging into a charge station at a Toyota dealership? Is the car, or their dealership unsafe? Will you be electrocuted?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 pm 

I agree that because they are a private organization they are free to make decisions that are different from other dealerships. However, in this instance they turned away someone in harms way. He had his son with him, that not with standing you don't leave people to fend for themselves when it was so easy to accommodate his need for a charge. The liability issue was a cover in my mind. Even if the employee were telling the truth about allowing someone to charge their car, in this particular instance he could have shown leadership and done the right thing. I would expect nothing less from my son or someone I considered a friend. Can you imagine this poor guy going home runs out of juice on the freeway and then gets hit by another car. I would not want that on my conscious. Maybe I am too old, I guess I believe we need to help each other in this day and age. Anyway from my corporate days there was a saying that everything a company does is a marketing decision with consequences. I still believe that is true. One of the classes I teach for Cal State Fullerton is Customer Service. Toyota of Carlsbad would have failed the course. I posted this situation on my Facebook page and a couple of people responded. I just saw a note to one of the respondents from Toyota of Carlsbad saying they recognized this problem and are in contact with the Sean as I write.
Manny

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:19 pm 

drmanny3 wrote:
I agree that because they are a private organization they are free to make decisions that are different from other dealerships. However, in this instance they turned away someone in harms way. He had his son with him, that not with standing you don't leave people to fend for themselves when it was so easy to accommodate his need for a charge. The liability issue was a cover in my mind. Even if the employee were telling the truth about allowing someone to charge their car, in this particular instance he could have shown leadership and done the right thing. I would expect nothing less from my son or someone I considered a friend. Can you imagine this poor guy going home runs out of juice on the freeway and then gets hit by another car. I would not want that on my conscious. Maybe I am too old, I guess I believe we need to help each other in this day and age. Anyway from my corporate days there was a saying that everything a company does is a marketing decision with consequences. I still believe that is true. One of the classes I teach for Cal State Fullerton is Customer Service. Toyota of Carlsbad would have failed the course. I posted this situation on my Facebook page and a couple of people responded. I just saw a note to one of the respondents from Toyota of Carlsbad saying they recognized this problem and are in contact with the Sean as I write.
Manny

I posted on their Facebook and they responded to me that they recognized the problem, hopefully this won't happen in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 pm 

drmanny3 wrote:
... you don't leave people to fend for themselves when it was so easy to accommodate his need for a charge. The liability issue was a cover...
Manny

Pure, knee jerk spewage that is so frequently used these days. I recall a LEAF driver who was denied a PAID parking spot in an RV park because of "liability".

Apparently the 100 motor homes that they likely had plugged into the same 50 amp sockets that this LEAF driver needed weren't a liability.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:01 pm 

Sean,
We are really sorry to hear about this. Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience. Vanessa Clark, Customer Relations Manager, 760-918-3795, wecare@toyotacarlsbad.com

Manny,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention via our Facebook page.

We'll do our best to fix this situation and prevent it from happening again.

-Vanessa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm 

Hey SeanSanDiego I tried to PM you to find out what is the status of your situation. Can you tell the group what has transpired?
Thanks,
Manny

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next