Onboard charger fail after tire repair use

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palo Alto Toyota diagnosed the charger issue a week ago and Tesla still hasn't gotten around to sending a new unit. I'm guessing they have a part time summer intern handling RAV4EV parts, but its getting ridiculous. Toyota seems quite frustrated as well.

astroev said:
Palo Alto Toyota diagnosed the charger issue a week ago and Tesla still hasn't gotten around to sending a new unit. I'm guessing they have a part time summer intern handling RAV4EV parts, but its getting ridiculous. Toyota seems quite frustrated as well.

Is the official prognosis that the charger failure is unrelated to the tire repair event?

Well the Tesla summer intern must have finally found the charger in the parts bins and they shipped it to Toyota today (either that or my frustrated tweet to Musk paid off). Will almost be a full 2 weeks.

Toyota did not render judgement on the cause. I understand the air pump runs off the 12V system but they are not fully isolated. My original query is just whether some noise on the line might found its way through the system and pushed a failing unit over. I work for NASA and in spacecraft design they worry about this kind of corner case stuff all the time. While I love my RAV I realize its not a spacecraft. :)

So I have the car back. The work order states "Replaced onboard charger, refilled & bled cooling system...". There was also service items for both the G-48 coolant and "super long life cool". I wonder if this amounts to a complete coolant replacement that satisfies the 50K maintenance requirement or just a top off. Anyone know how much coolant has to come out for a charger replacement?

For reference for others the Tesla error code for the charger failure was "CHGH_f078". The technician noted that the 5 amp fuse was OK, which is what someone upthread suggested checking first.

Thanks for all the advice on this. Almost 3 week event.

Back