cabin filter is not part of Toyota care

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

Just remember cabin filter is not part of Toyota care, you probably want to change it at 15K miles or something. Its super easy to do, 10 minutes or so, just make sure you get the filter direction correct

I got this one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C67GNM/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the premium one with charcoal to absorb odors (Toyota Genuine Parts 87139-YZZ10 Cabin Air Filter). My "former" dealer tried to sell me a standard one (87139-YZZ08) for $80.

If you would like a RAV4 EV cabin filter at 1/3 the price, go to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Carbon-Cabin-Air-Filter-OE-87139-YZZ08-87139-07010-87139-YZZ10-/271478901717?fits=Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3ACorolla . This one is $14.12 with shippping and sales tax included.

I pulled out my old air conditioning filter (cabin filter) and was surprised how dirty it was and how many seeds were caught in it in just 18 months. The replacement filter I got online was made in of all places the USA and sold for $14 with tax and shipping included. It came from Direct Auto Parts in North Hollwood in just one day. The instructions on page #381 of the Owner’s manual don‘t include of the some things that could help:
First empty the glove box before you start.
The side damper support pin must be squeezed and support arm be pulled to the right all at the same time to release it.
The left claw on the door is best unhooked first by pushing in on the left side of the door, then freeing the right claw to slip off the door.
You must have a light to see the filter cover, because everything is very black back there.
The filter cover door has one catch on the right side.
The up arrow on the filter cover door is the opposite direction of the air flow which flows down.
From the appearance of the filter it would work pretty well no matter which way it’s slid in.
When putting things back together make sure both sides of the glove compartment door hinge are fully engaged otherwise it won’t close properly.

Thanks for the awesome and detailed reply sobayimage!

Living in the LA area, that filter can get filthy in no time. If you spend a lot of your time on the 405 like I do, the filter gets pretty dirty after 6-12 months.

Back