Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: google doc spreadsheet of VIN's and component failures
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 am 

Hi guys,

I remember there was a google doc somewhere that had all the VINs and checked off component failures. Is that still available anywhere? I'm thinking of getting another Rav4EV, but I wanted to see what has been possibly worked on. Drive units, heater, gateway, etc...

Post subject: Re: google doc spreadsheet of VIN's and component failures
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:03 am 

Owners list and their vins

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 am 

Thanks Mark. Did they ever resolve the drive unit issues? I sold my rav4 2 years back and was thinking of reacquiring another one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:05 pm 

The 2017 B250E has a drive train from the Netherlands. To me that implies the Tesla fixed Tesla drivetrain.

There is a thread here that Toyota is scrapping off lease RAV4 EV's for the parts. From that aspect you will end up with servicable old parts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 pm 

I would say that the best thing to say about the Tesla motor used in our RAV4 is that they have mitigated the problems.

As a side note, the last six RAV4 EVs I crawled under in the last several days (there are a bunch of new JdeMO equipped RAV4s in the world), many had leaking oil seals!

Check for the tell-tail signs of leaking oil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 pm 

I've had my set of problems with the RAV 4 EV

1.- Bottom portion of the Left rear passenger handle snapped. I super glued back into place a few times already. Turns out the handle is actually half a handle and hollow inside (Top pops off).
2.- Lead Acid Battery began fuming. Almost killed me. Replaced with Tony's AGM suggestion.
3.- Cabin fan ball bearing started whining. Thankfully though it has stopped, but it might start up again.
4.- Rav4 EV let's out a crack noise when going from D to R (Or the other way around) and accelerating. People have suggested it could be the constant velocity joints? Also, occurs when flooring in sport mode (Not using anymore due to this until I get the car into the shop).
5.- Driver side left 'arm rest?' (Has white diamond trim) collapsed into the door. So needs to be replaced.

I believe that is all for now. I am the second owner of the vehicle. No real noise issues from the electric motor though I drove up hill on the FWY the other day for a few miles @ 85 MPHs and once I reached my destination and got off the motor let out an usual whine while slowing/regen. Have not really herd it again since, but got me thinking.

Pretty nice EV just hate how Toyota treated a lot of things with it/decisions. Otherwise, amazing vehicle! I think if warranty/ex warranty was not an issue I'd buy another RAV4 EV until something truly better and spacious comes out; like a mini tesla semi for example :). Wouldn't buy another Toyota vehicle though unless it was the rav4 ev.