Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tony-Test: How to Calculate Rated Range/Battery Degradation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:53 pm 

RAV4 EV battery default "Rated Range":

viewtopic.php?p=20518#p20518

1) Fully charge vehicle using "Extended" with the J1772 port (not CHAdeMO)

2) Battery must be at room temperature. When you charge the RAV4 EV to 100% full on extended charge, it will be warm. If you park in an enclosed garage with outside temps in the 50F-60F, the battery will likely still be warm enough in 4-8 hours.

3) MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF !!!

4) Disconnect all 3 of the 12 volt battery negative cables, and leave it that way overnight. This will require removal of the M8 wing nut for JdeMO equipped vehicles, or a 12mm socket to remove the M8 hex nut. The cabin climate control will automatically go to OFF with battery disconnect.

***** Next day: ******

5) Reconnect 12 volt battery

6) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby just once

7) Energy "fuel" gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM

8) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up (about 20 seconds)

9) Press START with brake pedal depressed a second time. You will hear a clunk of the main battery contactors under the front passenger seat and the dash should indicate "READY". The cabin climate control must be off. If it was not off, there is some issue prior to this step.

10) The displayed range is "RATED RANGE" at 3.5 miles per kWh

11) Divide this Rated Range by 146 to get usable battery capacity compared to new.

Example: 142 rated range / 146 = 97.2% battery capacity from new

Additional driving test:

If you drive the RAV4 EV at my standard test speed of 100km / 62mph ground speed, it will go almost EXACTLY the rated range.

TEST DRIVING PROTOCOL - dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, no elevation changes, "out-and-back" or loop course to compensate for any wind, 62mph / 100km/h GROUND speed as measured by GPS.

So, if the car is new, it will bang out 146 miles and the rated range will be 146 under the prescribed conditions.

If the rated range is 135, it will go 135 miles.

What is lost and needs to be reset with a 12 volt disconnect:

viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Cabin climate control is Off. Make appropriate settings.

2) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

3) Cell phone pairings are not 100%. You may have to delete your phone (and the RAV4 from your phone) and re-pair them

4) Map display mode

5) Volume of navigation voice notifications

6) Random play modes

7) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen. Check the programmed settings first, then go back to the previous page to press Save. It won't save the data any other way.

8) State selection from Destination address page

Last edited by TonyWilliams on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to Calculate Rated Range / Battery Degradation with
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:55 pm 

So I ran the test last night and came out to 136 miles. Now my garage stayed about 80 degrees most the night, how much of a effect would that play?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:41 am 

csugar21 wrote:
So I ran the test last night and came out to 136 miles. Now my garage stayed about 80 degrees most the night, how much of a effect would that play?

No appreciable difference.

136 / 146 = 93.15%

Not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:13 pm 

So about an hour after i ran the test i pulled out of the garage it went to 142, is that because it went off a new kwh rating?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm 

csugar21 wrote:
So about an hour after i ran the test i pulled out of the garage it went to 142, is that because it went off a new kwh rating?

I really don't know, to be honest. But, I have noticed a huge variability after some time. Just read through the thread with folks who got 150 something.

It's obviously not a kWh rating issue, as it's the same battery. But, after an hour, the BMS could have made any number of calculations, which is why we take the reading at 12 volt power up. We are attempting to see the default setting data.

Even doing the test in the method that I recommend, there will be some variation. Maybe 128 miles this time, 124 next time, and 129 the time after that. But, it's the best indicator we have so far, and probably forever.

If you average that to 126, and fully charge the car and drive on a flat, dry no wind highway at 62mph ground speed (about 63-64mph indicated) at 70F or warmer with the heater off, with both directions to compensate for any wind, and starting and ending at the same elevation, then the car will likely go 126 miles at 3.5 miles per kWh.

That's how you confirm the data. If planned properly, you drive one direction until half the estimated range, so 63 miles, then return.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:24 am 

I loosened the battery connection and one of the negative wires is really tight. Is it supposed to be that tight? I'm thinking it might be hard to get the terminal back on there after I take it off.

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:34 am 

mikegerard wrote:
I loosened the battery connection and one of the negative wires is really tight. Is it supposed to be that tight? I'm thinking it might be hard to get the terminal back on there after I take it off.

Thanks
Mike

With every JdeMO installation, we actually extend the negative leads to make it easier to disconnect.

If you're interested, we can make it a kit with the bolts and other hardware required.

We also put an M8 wing nut on it so that it can be disconnected without tools. In addition, we put M6 wing nuts on the main traction battery disconnect cover.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:24 pm 

I got an amazing 142 which based on Tony's math would be 97.2% battery capacity. The car has been on the road 27 months and has about 35,500 miles.

Battery was disconnected overnight and temperature was 80ish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:04 pm 

mikegerard wrote:
I got an amazing 142 which based on Tony's math would be 97.2% battery capacity. The car has been on the road 27 months and has about 35,500 miles.

Battery was disconnected overnight and temperature was 80ish.

Congrats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:30 am 

Just wanted to share my stats.

I have covered 27k miles in 15 months - I used extended charge 5/7 days and I charge it every day.

I was a little concerned about running this test to see how my battery is doing - I was prepared for degradation since I need to use extended range for my daily commute.

I got a 142 miles after resetting the car as described. pretty happy with that - San Francisco climate.

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving .