Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nearing Extended Warranty Expiration - Out of State
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:55 pm 

We have had our RAV4 EV since March of 2013, 73k miles and zero issues so far. Wife LOVES this car and wants to keep driving it as long as possible.

I do suspect our drive unit may need replacing as its a bit loud, perhaps due to motor bearing on the way out, not sure.

We are in Colorado and our (Toyota) extended warranty expires in March 2020.

Im wondering if we can get the car diagnosed (possibly get motor replaced) locally, or if we should just ship it to a CA dealer and have them do whatever work needs to be done before the warranty expires. We do have a third car that my wife can drive while her RAV4 is in service, so if we need to ship it to a CA dealer and wait however long for for proper service, that is fine.

Thoughts? Suggestions? TIA

Post subject: Re: Nearing Extended Warranty Expiration - Out of State
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 pm 

I would try my local dealer first. Our RAV4 stopped accepting a charge and I drove it to the nearest Toyota dealer (in Dallas, TX). They were able to diagnose the problem, with help from Tesla using their remote sensing, ordered a new motor assembly, and installed it. To my knowledge, all work was performed by the local mechanic, without flying in an EV-certified mechanic from CA.

Shipping the car back and forth is a pain (and, given the weight, pretty pricey) so I would search for a local dealership willing to help.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Nearing Extended Warranty Expiration - Out of State
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 pm 

My drive unit, heater, and DC-DC Inverter were all replaced under (various) warranties by Toyota of Seattle, no problem.

How much hassle they put you through depends on the individual dealer. You may have to shop around for the most compliant dealer.

2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org