Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: RavCharge, a solution to charge timer and entune woes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:

I am building a similar setup at the moment in my rav.
Did you use 2 floating fuses in the supply line to the meter ? fuse with something like 500mA ?
That is how I intend to do it, am curious how you (Tony) did this.

Still thinking how/where to attach it to the cable:

Btw, we are all worried about diameter/loss in the cables/connector with 40 amp load.
But the connector in the rav seems small to me for carrying 40 amps continous:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:24 am 

Yes, I used a 500ma fuse. (quick blow).

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:04 pm 

Any chance you could add charge start and charge stop buttons? I am self employed and I don't have a schedule so that whole part of ravcharge os useless to me. What I could use though is a way to stop charging while it's plugged in and start it later via the app. I Have the feature in entune on my pip. I was hoping to get it for the Rav too.

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:06 pm 

jimbo69ny wrote:
Any chance you could add charge start and charge stop buttons? I am self employed and I don't have a schedule so that whole part of ravcharge os useless to me. What I could use though is a way to stop charging while it's plugged in and start it later via the app. I Have the feature in entune on my pip. I was hoping to get it for the Rav too.
Refer to this post about stopping charges. The PiP lets you stop charges? That's the first I've heard of that - I'll have to investigate. By the way, RavCharge will work with the Plug-in Prius as well. I just have to enter a "custom" battery capacity for it.

Regardless of your employment status, your utility is on a schedule. If you haven't switched to time-of-use (TOU) metering yet to get the cheapest charging rates overnight you should definitely look into it. Bus aside from the charging timer features, RavCharges offers a number of other features you might find useful, including enhanced climate control options, SMS commands, and range and time-to-charge calculators that actually work.

Post subject: My wish list....can Ravcharge do any of this????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:12 pm 

I realize these issues have been discussed, but I'm not clear as to the present capabilities of RavCharge

Here is what I would like to do:

1. Complete charging within a reasonable time before my scheduled departure, no matter the starting charge level, whether extended/standard charging ("just in time" charging). The dash timer allows this somewhat, but it seems to introduce in a safety factor of time that is quite variable, so it's difficult to consistently hit my target. Presently, I have a 7:30 departure schedule, but I have to set the dash timer to 9:00 to get it to finish sixish. Of course, sometimes it doesn't even finish by 7:30 and I'm hosed. You get the idea.... I understood you were working on this, but I don't know the status

2. I would like the climate to run for more than 15 minutes to give myself a wider window of actual departure. A timer with multiple climate starts 15 or 20 minutes apart would do the job...??? Does Ravcharge permit this? For the reason cited below, the in-car timer won't work for this...

3. Contrary to what I was told on the forum, the in-car timer seems to become hopelessly confused if I set:

Climate to 7
Charge completion to 9 (which will really finish charging maybe sixish)

In the above case, the in-car timer seems to look only at the first event (climate at 7) and only after that is reached does it look at the next event (charge by 9) and begins to charge, but by then it's much too late.

Can Ravcharge help me? Truly independently control climate and charging? As a fallback, if I can rely on Ravcharge to handle the just-in-time charging, maybe I can set multiple climate starts on the in-car timer?

Thanks and apologies for probably going over things that have been asked and answered.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:18 pm 

My utility rates are very cheap here in Central NY. Im not sure about other parts of NY but my rate, including delivery charges is only $.11 a KWH. I dont have a time of day meter. I dont even know if they offer discounted rates overnight here. Regardless, I have PV panels so that also doesnt matter.

Huh, I just checked entune for my PIP and the stop charging button isnt there anymore. It only says "now charging" the same as it does for the Rav4 EV. Weird. I know it was there before because I used it.

Does that mean its not possible to add the feature to ravcharge?

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

Post subject: Re: My wish list....can Ravcharge do any of this????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 pm 

michael wrote:
1. Complete charging within a reasonable time before my scheduled departure, no matter the starting charge level, whether extended/standard charging ("just in time" charging). The dash timer allows this somewhat, but it seems to introduce in a safety factor of time that is quite variable, so it's difficult to consistently hit my target. Presently, I have a 7:30 departure schedule, but I have to set the dash timer to 9:00 to get it to finish sixish. Of course, sometimes it doesn't even finish by 7:30 and I'm hosed. You get the idea.... I understood you were working on this, but I don't know the status
You've got the right idea, setting your departure timer to 9. Now what you need to do is set a timer in RavCharge to start charging at some point in your low-rate window. You can use the car's timer to get the mid to deep charges done when you want them to be done, and use the RavCharge start timer to make sure the shallow charges complete early enough. Also turn on ECP to make sure the really deep and extended charges don't start before your low-rate window. You can email me some more details if you'd like me to help you determine a good time to choose for your RavCharge timer.
michael wrote:
2. I would like the climate to run for more than 15 minutes to give myself a wider window of actual departure. A timer with multiple climate starts 15 or 20 minutes apart would do the job...??? Does Ravcharge permit this? For the reason cited below, the in-car timer won't work for this...
Yeah, you can use RavCharge's multiple recurring climate timers for this. You might want to set them about 25 minutes apart, as sometimes it'll take 5 minutes or so for Entune to get the command to the car, and if your previous event is still running when the second timer kicks in it'll declare victory right away and not start it again.
michael wrote:
3. Contrary to what I was told on the forum, the in-car timer seems to become hopelessly confused if I set:

Climate to 7
Charge completion to 9 (which will really finish charging maybe sixish)

In the above case, the in-car timer seems to look only at the first event (climate at 7) and only after that is reached does it look at the next event (charge by 9) and begins to charge, but by then it's much too late.
That's the first I've heard of this one. Weird. I'd just leave your charge timer as-is and use a RavCharge timer for climate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:38 pm 

jimbo69ny wrote:
My utility rates are very cheap here in Central NY. Im not sure about other parts of NY but my rate, including delivery charges is only $.11 a KWH. I dont have a time of day meter. I dont even know if they offer discounted rates overnight here. Regardless, I have PV panels so that also doesnt matter.
11c/kWh is ok, but you can probably do better. Utility rates are very high on average where I live (Socal), but I still charge cheaper than that overnight (~9c/kWh.) Plus having solar gives you more reason to switch to TOU. TOU not only means cheaper charging overnight, it also means high rates during the day when your solar is producing. So if you're producing an excess during the day, that means the utility is paying YOU more! In my case, every excess kWh produced by my solar is good for 3-4 kWh to charge my cars. Of course, YMMV, but it's definitely worth at least checking with your utility to see what sort of plans are available.

jimbo69ny wrote:
Huh, I just checked entune for my PIP and the stop charging button isnt there anymore. It only says "now charging" the same as it does for the Rav4 EV. Weird. I know it was there before because I used it.

Does that mean its not possible to add the feature to ravcharge?
Nope, unfortunately the interface just doesn't allow it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm 

Happy (belated) 1st birthday RAVCharge! It's been a great year. Renewing for a second...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:41 pm 

Thanks for your continued support Peter!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next