Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: ALL POSTS Charging Sounds, Buzzing when Charging, Noises
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:55 am 

I just took delivery of my Wife's brand new 2012 RAV4EV and we are getting to know the car slowly.

We are charging on the 120V with the included Panasonic 'backup' EVSE while we await the installation of a 240V changer.

The car is making a 'buzz' while it's charging as I've come to expect when I first started charging with the batt at roughly 80%. I just stepped into the garage about an hour later and the on board electronics (which I assume to be the charger) is now making a fast pace cyclical - toc buzz toc buzz toc buzz. Without being familiar with the car, is this how the car normally charges?

Post subject: Re: Charging Sounds when Charging
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:53 am 

What you hear is the car trying to keep the battery warm when charging. My car will start out with a steady long buzz, than after about 3 minutes it is a fast on off buzzing sound. Just like you described. I took the car by Toyota when I first heard the sound that was back in early October. I also contacted corp. Toyota corporate and tesla all ran test on the car and said everything is fine. It is a tesla thing cause the roadster is very loud when charging too. I am just very happy I have a great warranty.

Post subject: Re: Charging Sounds when Charging
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:30 am 

Thanks for the positive confirmation that this is as expected.

I went in the garage after another long while and it's now showing 8 hours (down from 14 hrs) until charge complete. But this time the car is almost devoid of any sound or buzz at all. The charging does seem to be rather sophisticated in all it's buzzing/whirs/and ticks as it progresses.

Hopefully this will help familiarize future owners as well.

I'm also interested from a technical POV in the charging phases and steps if anyone is familiar with that aspect?

Post subject: Different sounds from the RAV4EV (normal or not?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 am 

Since our EV's sound much different from the ICE equivalent, I'd like to attempt to compile a list of all the different sounds that should be expected, abnormal noises, and any resolution that any owners would like to share:

EDIT: I've added in links to the recordings of some of the sounds. I placed my recorder under the hood to capture these noises.

I'll start:

Noise Description
What it is
When you hear it
Normal or not?

Buzzing sound (driving)
Buzzing sound (parked)
Brake Assist Vacuum Pump
When you open the driver door (sometimes), when you brake (sometimes)
Normal

Spaceship-like sound
Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS)
Low speed driving (<18mph)
Normal

High pitched whistle that changes frequency with speed
Inverter sound?
Medium-High speed (40-65mph)
Normal or abnormal?

More recently, I've been noticing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIOWNmd8F-o
Grinding/Rattling-like sound that changes frequency with speed. Not sure what it is. At first, I thought it was the VPNS, but I still hear it all the way up to 40mph.
Happens at >10mph when I apply any sort of pressure on the pedal
Normal or abnormal?

I call this the WTF noise. Anyone else hear this? Would someone have a clearer way to describe this sound when I take it into the service shop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJZEkPhwSf0
Assorted noises of driving from 0-50mph, including VPNS, WTF noise, brake & assist. I will attempt a freeway recording some time soon to get the higher speed inverter noises.

I plan on taking my car in to get it checked out, but I'd hate it if they say that these last two sounds are "normal" or "falls within acceptable noise threshold" since they didn't exist when I first got the EV. Either the sounds are getting louder or I'm getting more nitpicky.

Anyone in the Los Angeles or OC area who can meet up and compare noises?

Last edited by Khaihon on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Different sounds from the RAV4EV (normal or not?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 am 

You can hear Toyota's VPNS sounds at http://priuschat.com/threads/2012-prius ... eo.104980/.

I'm pretty sure the VPNS noises on Priuses is the same as all their other '12+ hybrids, PHEVs and EVs. You're also hearing some inverter/noise and/or motor whine mixed in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:47 pm 

Every once in a while my inverter will whine a mid to high pitched sound when accellerating with the pedal all the way to the floorboard. It almost sounds like a harmonica. It will do it for about 3 to 5 minutes and then it will quit. Kinda weird. Also at 70 mph +, I get a whistle from my ac/heater ducts while in recirculation mode. It's like the recirculation damper is not sealing completely. It's very irritating! I'm going in for my 10,000 mile checkup and I'm going to ask them to fix the whistle.

15.4 KW Solar PV System
2011 Ocean Blue LEAF
Picked Up 4/29/2011
Clipper Creek CS-60 EVSE at home
and a Leviton 16 amp L2 EVSE for work
116,500 miles on the Rav as of 08-5-16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:42 am 

Anybody hear a louder than normal buzzing sound when charging on Level 1? I don't seem to hear it when using Level 2 but it's easier to hear when in my garage because of the silence and acoustics. Sometimes it's a solid buzz and at other times it goes on and off every second or so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 am 

duggie wrote:
Anybody hear a louder than normal buzzing sound when charging on Level 1? I don't seem to hear it when using Level 2 but it's easier to hear when in my garage because of the silence and acoustics. Sometimes it's a solid buzz and at other times it goes on and off every second or so.

Yup. Its pretty loud on start up. Don't hear it so much when its topping off.

VIN#1708
Delivery: July 22, 2013
Mileage: 38,500+
EVSE: Leviton
Color: White
Town: Simi Valley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:00 pm 

Hello to everyone! This is my first post and a quick thanks for all the great information I found here while doing my research. DW and I leased the R4EV last night and are now fully electric!

I'm charging my R4EV for the first time this morning and using L2. I heard the expected buzzing but over that I heard a tapping sound (probably 5 taps per second or so) from the rear of the vehicle for the first hour. Now just the buzzing. Charging appears to be going fine. Since I will probably be charging overnight I won't be around to notice these strange sounds in the future. ;)

My L2 charger has been used for more than a year on a Focus BEV and a Model S.

Is the tapping sound I heard for the first hour normal or should I be heading back to the dealer?

Thanks for your help.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:11 pm 

The tapping returned and I now would call it intermittent. When it returned, it starts slowly and then increases to 2-4 times per second. I stopped and restarted charging. At first just buzzing then the tapping returned. I can tell its modulating the charge current as well so it might be a relay click.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next