Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12-volt battery replacement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:33 am 

z3scot wrote:
I just bought the Costco battery. Since the dealer did a bogus battery test with their tester, (battery is fine)I asked what the criteria is at Costco for a replacement under warranty. They told me they replace the battery (not prorated) in the warranty period if the customer requests it.
That sold me since the 42 month warranty is longer than the Optima battery at almost half the price.
The Costco battery fits fine, is heavier and bigger than the stock one.

I was parked at the airport for a week. I checked the battery voltage before starting, it was the same voltage as it was when I parked.

The new battery has much less voltage sag when powering the car from off - aux - ready.

By the way, apparently the car was doing cabin heating/cooling even though it wasn't plugged in. The display showed it had finished the climate cycle that morning.

~~ Scott

Did you get the group 35 or 24f??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:45 am 

The Interstate Group 24F from Costco. It is the only one they sell that fits the Rav4.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:52 am 

Anyone have issues with corrosion? I got in our RAV today and it was dead (3 yrs, 1 mo old). I popped the hood and the positive terminal was just a mountain of corrosion, and it had pretty much eaten away the copper. I got it off, but now I can't get the bolt off the copper part to separate it from the plastic fuse assembly, and of course the car is dead.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:06 am 

Clean everything with baking soda and water.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:47 am 

jspearman wrote:
Anyone have issues with corrosion? I got in our RAV today and it was dead (3 yrs, 1 mo old). I popped the hood and the positive terminal was just a mountain of corrosion, and it had pretty much eaten away the copper. I got it off, but now I can't get the bolt off the copper part to separate it from the plastic fuse assembly, and of course the car is dead.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Probably a broken terminal seal allowing acid to wick up and create the lead sulfate bloom. Top shelf is to replace cable and battery.
Otherwise the lead sulfate is water soluble so just soak it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:44 pm 

I ordered the Odyssey (Group 35) battery from Amazon, knowing that our RAV4 EV was coming up on three year mark. The battery arrived last Wednesday, and through sheer chance the RAV4 did the "Low" on full charge nonsense for the first time the next day, but after a power off/on it started normally. Probably had a few more weeks in the OEM battery but went ahead and replaced it on Saturday. It wasnt a perfect fit, but plenty close enough for the bracket to hold it in place just fine. Definitely a heavier and higher quality battery than what it replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:14 am 

Wondering if this would fit?

http://www.atbatt.com/interstate-srm-27-12v-deep-cycle-marine-rv-battery.asp

Only Deep cycle costco carries for $78.99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 am 

I thought Costco also carried a group 24 deep cycle marine. Just a bit shorter in length.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:51 pm 

Costco in Lake Elsinore, CA has both group 24 and 27. The also have 6 volt golf cart batteries, buy two of those and you won't need to replace them for ten years, $83 each. :lol:

Solar PV 5.25 kW System.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:48 pm 

So would the DC type size 24 be a better choice than the regular one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next