Pre-Climate Setup

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_A

Has anybody scheduled pre-climate and have it run successfully?

My Attempt #1:
Monday departure was set to 0735 with pre-climate only.
I manually chose to charge immediately on Sunday night.
At 0715 on Monday, power draw began but was merely 200 W.
Still seeing ice, I manually triggered pre-climate at 0745 causing a draw of 7.4 kW.

My Attempt #2:
Tuesday departure was set to 0730 with pre-climate only.
I flicked the page to charge-immediately and clicked [Save].
I powered-down and charging began.
On Tuesday at 0710, a brief draw of immeasurably small energy happened.
Still seeing ice, I manually triggered pre-climate at 0800 causing a draw of 7.4 kW.

There has been some discussion here that after a full charge completion, the battery will subsequently (exactly how much longer later is uncertain) resume charging at a low level - I have observed ~600W - presumably to insure the battery is fully topped off and equalized after something called "cell balancing". From my observations, this subsequent charging phenomena is rather brief, typically only about 30 minutes in duration.

I have observed this behavior on a couple of occasions. The lower level resumption of charging supposedly for cell balancing purposes is quite likely causing unintented interference with the delayed departure, "scheduled" charging mode. In some cases, as brought up by other members here, the scheduled charge fails to function altogether. There have a few theories about this in other related posts and at least one forum member has taken his car in to his Toyota dealer for further evaluation into this mysterious behavior. Tesla was called in for consultation as well, but that owner was told it will take at least a week or more for some sort of resolution to this problem. I would expect that to be a reflash of computer firmware to a newer revision of code. Stay tuned . . .

In your case it sounds like something else is going wrong that also relates to various RAV4 EV charging modes; specifically for a "scheduled" preconditioning after the battery is fully charged manually. I have not heard of this specific problem reported yet by anybody else here, but it sure sounds like "the scheduler" functionality built in to the center console, generally speaking, is going haywire in more ways than one.

It seems my Rav4 is getting dumber by the day. It regularly doesn't charge on the vehicle timer, so now I have a timer on the charging station.

Secondly, the preheat said "cancelled" this morning, and I have no idea why. It was fully charged well before the preheat time, and it was still plugged in.

One note is that the preheat won't come on if the battery is below 50% (also dumb).

I have had success with scheduled charging and cabin heat. The only real compliant has been it does not really warm the car all that much. On the 2002 the heater would be run full blast and really warmed the cabin.

I have tried this with 240/40A, 240/12A and 120/12A all three have worked.

Failures have always occurredfrom me messing around.

For instance using the entune checking starting status right after plugging in the little icon lower left indicates plugged in, half an hour later the icon indicates unplugged. If you go and mess with the J1772 plug the scheduled charge/precondition will be canceled.

Also when ever I manually started a charge the precondition is over ridden, I've done this accidentally several times learning the Entune app.

Redo your schedule and include charge/precondition cycle and verify that works first.

=D~~ Brandy

Back