Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rav4EV motor "HUM" (Milling Sound), can you hear it in y
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 am 

I think the main problem is that they don't have enough spares in circulation to rebuild. Just think about it, transit time from Fremont to the dealer, get the customer car in, do the swap, pack it up and send it back to Fremont. I think that's about 10 days minimum. So each unit can only do only 2 or 3 turns per month. I'm betting they only have 2 or 3 in circulation, so that's only 8-10 swaps per month. I think that is what is causing the huge backlog. I'm sure there is no way Toyota is going to pay more money for new units to add into circulation just to make things go faster. They will just prioritize cars that are sitting dead over ones that are merely noisy.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:58 pm 

miimura wrote:
I think the main problem is that they don't have enough spares in circulation to rebuild. Just think about it, transit time from Fremont to the dealer, get the customer car in, do the swap, pack it up and send it back to Fremont. I think that's about 10 days minimum. So each unit can only do only 2 or 3 turns per month. I'm betting they only have 2 or 3 in circulation, so that's only 8-10 swaps per month. I think that is what is causing the huge backlog. I'm sure there is no way Toyota is going to pay more money for new units to add into circulation just to make things go faster. They will just prioritize cars that are sitting dead over ones that are merely noisy.

Why is it taking Tesla 3+ months to replace a model S DU?

Solar PV 5.25 kW System.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:12 pm 

pchilds wrote:
Why is it taking Tesla 3+ months to replace a model S DU?

Here is a somewhat speculative reply based on what we have discussed here:

1. They fail often. They sold a lot more Model Ss in 2012-2014 than all RAV4EVs made, and those early Teslas are probably getting enough miles on them to have frequent motor (bearing?) failures.

2. They don't have a lot of spares in circulation, per mimura's comment above.

If they really did fix the problem in later models, then they could eventually have a lot of spares by rebuilding the earlier ones that failed.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:08 pm 
Site Moderator

They should get some more to have more in circulation. Seems like really poor optics for an EV company to have motor issues on something as reliable as an induction motor. Quite pathetic if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 am 

smkettner wrote:
4EVEREV wrote:
That means they have massive issues or just one person doing these. I hope they hire a proper engineer to fix these issues for good.

I think Tesla is really trying to figure out this noise issue not just shim the gears and send it down the road.
This is a big issue for Tesla that they had better get right before they start putting these gear boxes in 100,000+ Model 3 cars each year.
I assume the redesign will be partially based on what Tesla learns from these rebuilds.
OK maybe I am just naive... Tesla has one guy on it and could not care less.

Not to go too OT, but there are folks over at "TMC" who will make the bold assertion that Model S DU problems aren't due to "any fundamental design issue" and that one doesn't exist :roll: , like at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthre ... ost1397044.

I had a discussion with him at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthre ... bpar/page5.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:18 am 

cwerdna wrote:
smkettner wrote:
4EVEREV wrote:
That means they have massive issues or just one person doing these. I hope they hire a proper engineer to fix these issues for good.

I think Tesla is really trying to figure out this noise issue not just shim the gears and send it down the road.
This is a big issue for Tesla that they had better get right before they start putting these gear boxes in 100,000+ Model 3 cars each year.
I assume the redesign will be partially based on what Tesla learns from these rebuilds.
OK maybe I am just naive... Tesla has one guy on it and could not care less.

Not to go too OT, but there are folks over at "TMC" who will make the bold assertion that Model S DU problems aren't due to "any fundamental design issue" and that one doesn't exist :roll: , like at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthre ... ost1397044.

I had a discussion with him at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthre ... bpar/page5.

Careful they might hear you.

Solar PV 5.25 kW System.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:25 am 

I've been waiting since mid-November. My Model S got a replacement in just a few weeks (and that was due to my schedule limitations) within that same period of time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:05 pm 

I've been waiting since Nov 3rd, I checked with dealer (Palo Alto) again this week , and stillllllll no news of when they'll get the new DU.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:02 am 

Luckyduckie wrote:
I've been waiting since Nov 3rd, I checked with dealer (Palo Alto) again this week , and stillllllll no news of when they'll get the new DU.

Any news yet? I'm also waiting for Toyota of Palo Alto. If you haven't gotten it yet, I won't even bother inquiring for mine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:44 pm 

Starting to hear it in mine but it's not that annoying. I grew up in the back seat of a Ford Aerostar. The rear differential was ridiculously loud - to the point of making your ears ring on long freeway journeys. The DU whine on my Rav4 is barely noticeable at 50ish mph.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 52  Next