Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:58 am 

My car, #1134 with 91,000 miles, that I bought new almost 5 years ago at Mossy is currently at Carlsbad Toyota getting a new motor and onboard charger.

It only took a handful of weeks to get all the parts from Tesla.

It was reported that Tesla delivered 32 rebuilt motors for the RAV4 in August 2017.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:22 pm 

I noticed the motor getting slightly louder, on my 2013 #2227 (59,800 miles), since I purchased it in February 2017. I only had 200 miles left on the Motor warranty. Brought it in to my local dealership (Hendrick's). They contacted corporate and opened a case file. Then they took video and sound recordings of motor along with temperature readings. They informed me a replacement/rebuilt motor is on the way. I was a bit concerned being on the east coast (North Carolina) that they wouldn't be able to take care of this. So far, they have been very helpful. I will update after the replacement happens. What a fun car to drive. Todd

2013 Toyota Rav4 EV #2227 Pearl White
40 Amp Juicebox
1972 John Deere Electric E90 Riding Mower

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm 

RAV4 EV with 97,000 miles, bought new 4.5 years ago. We have really enjoyed the vehicle, until unreasonably costly repairs have been required outside the manufacturer warranty recently. No extended warranty purchased.

Our car has been to the dealer more than any other other vehicle I have owned in my 30+ years of driving. Mostly the same issues discussed in this forum. Major repairs include:
51k mikes - Drive motor replaced. This was covered under mfg warranty and I was optimistic the issue had been resolved.
97k miles - On-board charger replaced. $3200 out of warranty cost.

I would like to keep the vehicle, but can't justify with another costly repair. I was told by dealer drive motor failures are not uncommon, one of which has had 4 different drive motors replaced. Very rough math here...but with only 2500 RAV4's produced, at a rate of 32 rebuilt motors a month (384 per year), that represents greater than 15% of the population of motors failing annually. That number seems really high.

Questions:
Are drive motor failures common?
What is the source for the reported Tesla delivered rebuilt motors?
Are those numbers reported on a monthly basis?
Are these the same motors Tesla uses in their vehicles?
Do Tesla vehicles experience the sale drive motor failure rate as RAV4 EV's?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by wimbro1 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 pm 

Yes, they've been replacing a lot of motors on Tesla vehicles, too. Tesla does the rebuilding. A year plus ago, Tesla finally changed the rework process to avoid the problem that has been plauging our vehicles. In my understanding, induced currents were flowing through the bearings causing them to wear prematurely. They added a brush to avoid this. Hopefully, after two motor replacements, my car won't need another.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am 

Eventually, we will have third parties (independent mechanics) doing major work on these cars. I believe there was a post in the Facebook group from a shop in Quebec that did the bearing replacement on their own. It's not that big of a job. There are videos on the EVTV YouTube channel showing how to disassemble the drive unit. In that case, they were putting a limited slip diff inside for Tesla powered conversions. Changing the bearings at the same time would be minor.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:21 am 

davewill wrote:
Yes, they've been replacing a lot of motors on Tesla vehicles, too. Tesla does the rebuilding. A year plus ago, Tesla finally changed the rework process to avoid the problem that has been plauging our vehicles. In my understanding, induced currents were flowing through the bearings causing them to wear prematurely. They added a brush to avoid this. Hopefully, after two motor replacements, my car won't need another.

Any way to externally verify if the replacement is the premium rebuild?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:27 pm 

Too much uncertainty about long term reliability...another vehicle seems to be the solution. Ciao.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:04 am 

From 9/22/2017:
ToyTesla wrote:
I noticed the motor getting slightly louder, on my 2013 #2227 (59,800 miles), since I purchased it in February 2017. I only had 200 miles left on the Motor warranty. Brought it in to my local dealership (Hendrick's). They contacted corporate and opened a case file. Then they took video and sound recordings of motor along with temperature readings. They informed me a replacement/rebuilt motor is on the way. I was a bit concerned being on the east coast (North Carolina) that they wouldn't be able to take care of this. So far, they have been very helpful. I will update after the replacement happens. What a fun car to drive. Todd

Update: New motor was installed yesterday (2/28/2018) :D :D . It took awhile since the service tech had to schedule a trip from CA to NC to perform the work (actually to oversee the work performed by local dealership). All is well so far, very smooth, no whine and no backlash in the geartrain/axles. Still no Entunes so I dropped Safety Connect.

2013 Toyota Rav4 EV #2227 Pearl White
40 Amp Juicebox
1972 John Deere Electric E90 Riding Mower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 am 

Looks like it's my turn to experience the dreaded motor wear-out :( . I bought my 2013 #2178 from CarMax in Aug 17 at 58,000 miles. My motor has been getting noisier through the last 10,000 miles, and at it's current mileage of 72,000, the motor is now leaking oil and coolant. Toyota Carslbad confirmed the diagnosis today, and an invoice for $13,000 and a two-three month timeline. I'm still driving the vehicle for another few weeks, while I pursue a CarMax MaxCare warranty claim (which I'm expecting to take a while!) before I can get Toyota to order the replacement motor. I believe I'm the first owner to progress a CarMax MaxCare claim for the motor replacement, so I'll try to provide updates on my experience.

Incidentally, Toyota Carslbad stated that I need to remove the JdeMo unit before they can replace the motor. Tony W - expect a visit from me in the next few weeks, assuming the warranty claim goes smoothly ...

I have a Model 3 reservation and configuration invite, which I may need to follow through on, if the Rav will be out of action. I'm still driving the Rav at the moment, however, I am wondering how much longer I can continue driving it safely.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:23 pm 

Carlsbad Toyota has done oodles of motor replacements with JdeMO.

I recommend Jana or Steve G. As your service advisor.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 52  Next