Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Thread; all spare tire posts here
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:42 am 

So I have to ask.... Has anyone actually tried to repair a flat with the supplied Rav4 EV kit? I think it would work most of the time.

2014 Rav4 EV Blizzard Pearl #3192
Leviton EVB40

Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Thread; all spare tire posts here
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:44 pm 

Putting the spare inside would be the easiest and the lowest cost, but it would use up over 3 cubic feet of cargo space. On long trips it seems I need as much cargo space as possible especially when the family is coming. It is highly likely that since the spare takes up so much space it would be used only during out of town trips.

Changing the rear door on the RAV4 EV to one that would carry the spare would be a simple solution, but it's too costly and involved IMHO. The trailer hitch can be used for other things such carrying bikes, or towing for short distances if needed so the cost is not unreasonable. If I had the space and time I would fab my own hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

As for the stock inflator with the tire sealant kit, I'm sure it would work fine for a simple puncture. On long distance travel usually when a tire goes out it is on the freeway and the tire is damaged so the stock kit is not much use.