JuiceBox Basic is sold

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

This is available with no J1772 cable for $200. I can supply a modified Blink cable for an additional $100. If you have Quick Charge Power drop ship a flexable 40A cable I will install it for you. I have done this several times.

Local pickup in Anaheim is available or I can ship it for an additional $25.

This is sold ASIS but I guarantee it will work upon receipt. Payment is cash for local pickup or Paypal if I ship the unit.

http://www.quickchargepower.com

For $300, with output cable added, Glenn is providing a very low cost, versatile EVSE, in a custom, plastic enclosure, but it just begs to be customized even more.

I see that it has the new PCB (V8.9) provisioned for buss bars, which I don't think are yet available from EMW. When available, those should make the output wiring and connections much easier, although in Glenn's box, the way he mounted the PCB, I'm not sure they can be used.

Even thou this is a "Basic" JuiceBox, I wish it included the optional current sensor toroid in the DIY kit. This is an inexpensive component, although it cannot be used without the more costly LCD and Remote (or WiFi) options. Nevertheless, It would be easier to upgrade to those other "premium" features without additional soldering required to the board.

IMO, the relatively low extra cost to upgrade the Basic JB hardward to the (already included) software capabilities of the premium version, are well worth it. Those additional features are what really makes a JB have "added value" and sets it apart from the majority of other much higher priced, commercially available L2 EVSEs.

The JuiceBox PCB is very large. The new one just fit after I rounded the corners. It is that close in a 8 inch junction box. I found that I had an extra voltage-current meter laying around so I put it in this morning. Here is a photo of it.

This unit is a steal for any Rav4 EV owner. I just bought an OpenEVSE unit from GlennD, and his workmanship and helpfulness are top notch.

Glenn, with the new addition of that dual, AC readout, the "added value" just went up a LOT! The indicating lights for Power and Charging are really nice to have as well. That meter is surprisingly inexpensive (made in China) for how useful it is in a unit like this. Btw, there is a new dual AC digital meter out now that is still front panel mountable, but fully contained in its own miniature enclosure. As I recall it cost around $20 on Amazon or Ebay. I have several myself and find them really handy to use in almost ANY EVSE project. Of course, even though your photo shows the unit is powered up at "119v", all JBs have a universal AC-DC power supply that can be plugged in to either 120 or 240V with the appropriate AC input cord. I gather you have switched the input cord to one that plugs in to a 120Vac outlet, but it will come with another pigtail for a 240V wall outlet (NEMA 14-50R) as well.

Are you throwing in the meter and the 120V AC input cord, at the same price as before?

I have a whole bunch of adapters. I agree the meters are great. A couple of years ago I was paying around $20 and I thought that was a good deal. Now they are around $15 and if you look really hard they can be had for $10.

I have had my meter on my EVSE for a couple of years now. It has functioned flawlessly. I do have a spare on hand in case the source dries up but so far it is covered in dust. I also have a spare EVSE board and contactor. I plan to scare my EVSE into behaving! The J1772 cable is too expensive to have a spare.

I forgot to reply to your price question. It has always had an input cable and since the meter was a freebie I am not charging for it.

GlennD said:
I have a whole bunch of adapters. I agree the meters are great. A couple of years ago I was paying around $20 and I thought that was a good deal. Now they are around $15 and if you look really hard they can be had for $10.

I have had my meter on my EVSE for a couple of years now. It has functioned flawlessly. I do have a spare on hand in case the source dries up but so far it is covered in dust.
I've seen them for even less than $5, but not with free shipping! I've used them in several applications . . . output of a PV system, on a commercially available L2 EVSE, output of a portable gas powered generator, JuiceBox, etc. They really are a very economical and useful LCD display and even backlighted so you can still use them in the dark!

I like the LCD units vs the 2 color LED units. The LCD units have cal pots so you can compensate for the less than sine wave car load. The LED units are fixed.

After putting a scope on a current coil I purchased a RMS clamp on meter. I can not speak for the RAV4 but my Leaf is really ugly at 15A.

All of the units have read accurately on a pure resistive load like my 14A heat gun.

I don't believe I have seen any of these with cal pots, and I agree about the black on blue LCD vs. multicolored LED choices. For what they cost, the accuracy is better than expected; probably no worse than +/-1%.

Dsinned said:
I don't believe I have seen any of these with cal pots, and I agree about the black on blue LCD vs. multicolored LED choices. For what they cost, the accuracy is better than expected; probably no worse than +/-1%.

There are two holes in the top circuit board allowing access to the pots on the front board. The one behind the voltage display is for current and the one behind the amp display is voltage.

Back