Temperature while charging with jesla

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidb9608

While charging with the jesla the 40 amp plug plugged into the wall gets to 123 degrees
The tesla device with the 3 green bars gets to 126 degrees. The 1772 plugs is 107. My service is 6-3 wire back to my service box with 50 amp breaker. Are these correct numbers. The vehicle has a fan on throwing hot air out from the wheel wells. I have a meter that shows I am pulling 39.5 amps any thoughts would be appreciated it does charge quickly.
David

Check the wire set screws on the adapter plug pigtail. I have a Leviton 16 amp 240 unit I take to work. I noticed the plug was getting hot enough to turn the plastic adjacent to the plug prongs brown. I opened it up and the set screws holding the wires in the plug were a little loose. I tightened them up and haven't had a heating up problem since.

It would be good idea to check all your electrical connection points for tightness, especially in the mating of the J1772 charge port connector and plug-in receptacle. Those temps are generally not high enough to cause sufficient overheating to melt anything, especially if the outside ambient air temp is in the 90s or higher. Most outer cable jacket insulation is rated to at least 80C (176F) or higher. So, unless you can burn your hand while touching the cable, you are probably still within a safe margin.

Definitely check your 14-50 receptacle. It shouldn't be getting that hot relative to the other temps.

You may need to clean carbon off the copper in the 14-50, or re-terminate your six gauge conductors and re-attach them to the 14-50.

If the plug is loose in the receptacle, replace the receptacle. We have some pretty good quality ones for $5.99 on our website.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/14-50R-Outlet-14-50R.htm

Thanks for the ideas. Clearly it is a problem with the wall mounted 14-50 receptacle or corrosion on the 14-50 male plug from some lousy Rv place I visited . I have several plugs in my basement I traded the 14-50 off the jesla and plugged into a 14-30 wall plug with the tesla 14-30 and everything is fine. I am having my electrician friend come over and go over the 14-50 wall plug and clean the 14-50 tesla plug . Hopefully this will do it. I do have the 14-50 tesla male plug withe red dot. Thanks for all the advice
David

I had my electrician friend come by he took a good wire brush to the 14-50'male contacts and the disassembled retightened and rechecked the contacts on the 14-50 wall plug. These things dropped the temperatures 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I think my problem came from some lousy Rv park 14-50 plugs I used on my 2000 miles trip to the Indiana border in May. Somebody told me something is in the details was it God or the Devil ?.
David

Back