DVR / dash-cam

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstjohn99

I didn't find anything here on DVRs, so starting a new thread. Anyone with experiences good or bad, discuss settings and challenges, etc. please post here.

I use DVRs in my newer cars always, older cars they are available but not permanently installed. Currently I use the "G1W" model due to HD quality video, good overall performance and options, and ridiculously cheap ($50 each). They do have voice recording also, but no GPS or 2nd channel (rear facing, inside view, etc.). There are many review sites for DVRs so I won't elaborate here at this time.

I have my DVRs plugged into the cigarette lighter (accy power), or hard wired to the ignition power and programmed to continue recording for 30 seconds after power off. That way they always turn on automatically when I start the car and will continue to record in the event of power loss from an accident (if still working). I say "they" because at $50 each I have one mounted on the windshield and one mounted on the rear window to get things coming or going, accidents from front or rear (for my Rav, the other cars only get one).

So, the other night I was unplugged while charging and stranded for an extra two hours while I repeated the charge that didn't happen. I know that the DVR has motion sensor recording and can start recording even when the car is parked. I was thinking it would be nice to catch the culprit on DVR, then post the shame video on the applicable EV forum. Someone is bound to know them.

But the DVR onboard rechargeable battery I believe only lasts minutes to part of an hour - I'm not sure, but definitely not long enough to last a weekend or extended parking / charging time. If I have the DVRs connected to battery power all the time, then I can use the motion sensor, but I need to manually turn them on / off every time I use the car - not an option - or leave them running 24/7. I'm not sure how long they last at 100% duty cycle.

Does anyone else use an automotive DVR, have any experience with motion sensor recording, experience with other brands / models or other things of interest?

For me the ideal DVR records excellent picture quality and motion day and night, does not skip frames within / between files, has forward and rear looking cameras (2 channel, either front & rear or just one that faces the rear and catches the interior / action through rear window), Is capable of starting & stopping automatically, motion sensor record with timed period / auto stop, GPS tracking and vehicle speed recording and doesn't cost more than $100 so I can afford them for multiple cars (hey I can dream right?), or at least a $100 one channel version and $200 two channel version. I think the Vicovation Marcus 5 covers most of these, but currently it's $375. I need to look at the Vicovation products more closely.

Do you charge outside your house? Why not buy a Foscam or Dropcam and mount it where it can see your vehicle? I don't think you're going to find a dvr that is on all the time. It would just loop over the part you want to save.

Back