AC drip location?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusiondynamics

Anyone know where the air conditioning drip is located? Maybe post a picture? I have the stinky smell after using AC. I did always turn it off 5-10mins prior to stopping and just running the air. I read around and it seems that maybe it's clogged and not allowing the water to drip out. I never see any water after stopping.

i was starting to get a bit of a smell int he cabin and replaced the air filter (the dealer did actually on my 30K service, i think its a standard part of that service). Problem solved.

I did replace the air filter and still have that stinky smell. Doing searches some people from ravworld forums said it might be a clogged A/C drain.

fusiondynamics said:
Anyone know where the air conditioning drip is located? Maybe post a picture?

20150804_151833.jpg

The puddle is where ac leaks its water to i would say drivers side between front wheels

Interesting mine does not drip anything...... hum....????? Okay so today it seems like the smell might be gone. I'll give it a few days.

I bought my RAV4 used, and the interior and HVAC system smelled really bad. I cleaned and shampooed the interior, replaced the floor mats, sprayed Lysol in the fresh-air intake, replaced the cabin air filter, odor-eliminator-bombed the interior, and used a can of odor-eliminator through the drain tube to kill and disinfect the A/C evaporator. Still kind of smells a little. The interesting thing is that even after running the A/C on full-blast, for over 30 minutes, I still did not see a single drop of condensation drip out of that drain tube. I think I'm going to unplug the tube and see if it is clogged. My Tesla Model S seems to produce a huge amount of condensation on the floor of my garage in that same amount of time.

BTW, it's easy to find the drain tube if you look in the passenger-side foot-well, pull-off the furthest panel (next to center console), and pull-back the carpet. You will see a tube that runs from the HVAC housing to the firewall.

I'll give it a try. The smell came back. I took a look at the way the design is and it's really stupid. When you change the cabin air filter. You can see how the fan is mounted. It is essentially blowing up air and I'm going to assume that there might be a buildup of water under the fan tube. Maybe I'll take out the fan and put a rag inside to see if there is stinky mold growing.

fusiondynamics said:
I'll give it a try. The smell came back. I took a look at the way the design is and it's really stupid. When you change the cabin air filter. You can see how the fan is mounted. It is essentially blowing up air and I'm going to assume that there might be a buildup of water under the fan tube. Maybe I'll take out the fan and put a rag inside to see if there is stinky mold growing.

Good luck. I'd like to hear an update of what you find, and maybe photos if you're going to take things apart.

Last week, I checked the drain tube and it was definitely not clogged. I emptied two more cans of odor-eliminator through that drain tube in an attempt to flood and flush the evaporator. But I don't think it did any good since it still smells.

Back