Charging from solar.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog

I have a 36 panel off grid solar home capable of 9000 watt production under idea circumstances. I charged the Rav last weekend with a 30 amp juice box system. Best output I could get from panels was 6400 due to sun angle and summer heat circumstance. The charger used about 7000 watts as it loaded the batteries. Battery storage made up the difference. I need to cut back on the charge rate, because I don't want to devote the entire system to charging the car. I'm looking for a better option than the 120 volt charger. Is clipper creek's 15 charger 240 volt charger my best option?

Birddog said:
I have a 36 panel off grid solar home capable of 9000 watt production under idea circumstances. I charged the Rav last weekend with a 30 amp juice box system. Best output I could get from panels was 6400 due to sun angle and summer heat circumstance. The charger used about 7000 watts as it loaded the batteries. Battery storage made up the difference. I need to cut back on the charge rate, because I don't want to devote the entire system to charging the car. I'm looking for a better option than the 120 volt charger. Is clipper creek's 15 charger 240 volt charger my best option?

Look at openevse
I am testing a wifi interface module for it, that would make it configurable to set the charging amps from any where between 6-40 amps.
So you could automate it and adjust the charging current once every minute if you have a way to read how much your solar system is producing.
http://store.openevse.com/
It also has a display and button so you can set it manually.
I am using the 50 amp kit with one of Quickchargepower 40 amps flexible cables both for my home charging and I have a portable version (together with a Jlong) in the back of my rav all the time.
It shows amps, kWh and with the (currently still experimental) wifi module you can remotely monitor and control the evse.
Here is a link to my monitoring part:
http://data.openevse.com/emoncms/fromport&id=11
Last 2 days I am testing a newly build openevse, so no output showing ;-)

I agree that OpenEVSE would be the best bet. Even if you don't want to get fancy, you'll be able to manually adjust the output in 2a increments. User GlennD here and on the MyNissanLEAF forum builds and sells OpenEVSE units for people. It's a hobby, he essentially does it for the cost of the parts. Send him a PM to see if he's got a unit built up.

I agree, I also have an Open EVSE that I like. 2-40 amps adjustable with many power adapters for traveling.

But I also have a Juicebox - the output on the JB is adjustable, though not as user friendly on most models. You need to open the case and adjust a screw, but once it's set where you want it you're good. The newer JB units are adjustable via a wifi app on your phone, but I think that's still in beta testing.

I believe the new Blink chargers are adjustable too. I have an older one that works well with awesome features. I programmed in my TOU rates and schedule and it lets me know how much each charge costs, it has a timer for charging only during off-peak times (so does the Open EVSE with the right option), and wifi connection. However, I DO NOT RECOMMEND the Blink chargers. As awesome as mine is, you apparently only purchase the right to possess and use but not control the charger. My 30A charger is set for 24 amps, and only Blink can change it back to 30, but they will not do it. Instead they want me to buy the newer unit. I'm definitely not doing business with them anymore.

Birddog said:
I'm looking for a better option than the 120 volt charger. Is clipper creek's 15 charger 240 volt charger my best option?
I recently purchased a portable L1/L2 EVSE from EVI in Baltimore, MD for slightly under $400. They sell it on Amazon.com or have an online website for ordering direct. I got it for my 2012 VOLT to replace the 120V OEM charger that came with the car, but have used the EVI unit to charge my RAV4 EV at 240V as well. It's maximum output power is right around 4000 watts (235V at 17A), and it has a nice LCD (to indicate ACV, current, kWH, duration of charge, and status mode) built into the unit. I ordered mine with optional input adapters for either 120 or 240V plug-in outlets. It can be operated from either AC voltage source automatically. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Dsinned said:
I recently purchased {SALES PITCH DELETED FOR BRAVERY}

Glad to hear you are happy with it.
What the question of this thread starter was a solution to be able to change the amount of power his rav4 draws from the mains, related to the amount of power his solar system is generating.
I bet your system is NOT able to do that.

dstjohn99 said:
... My 30A charger is set for 24 amps, and only Blink can change it back to 30, but they will not do it. Instead they want me to buy the newer unit. I'm definitely not doing business with them anymore.
They did it for me. I told them that I had already replaced the cable and handle. They sent me a release to sign, then changed it back. Anyway, if you want to manually change your current, here are the instructions:

On the Blink, click on Settings, then Device Info. Press on the 30A under Maximum Current and hold your finger there for at least 10 seconds. This will take you to a screen asking for the code, the current code is 906598. Then you'll be in Maintenance Mode and be able to change the Maximum Current.

davewill said:
...Anyway, if you want to manually change your current, here are the instructions:

On the Blink, click on Settings, then Device Info. Press on the 30A under Maximum Current and hold your finger there for at least 10 seconds. This will take you to a screen asking for the code, the current code is 906598. Then you'll be in Maintenance Mode and be able to change the Maximum Current.

Thank you!! Worked great. My charger has a 30Amp ITT handle and cable so it should be okay. This fix worked great and I'm in a reasonable range now for charging the Rav4. I just need to get through the PUC trial with SDGE, then I can ditch the Blink and go back to 40Amps with a different charger.

Dsinned said:
Birddog said:
I'm looking for a better option than the 120 volt charger. Is clipper creek's 15 charger 240 volt charger my best option?
I recently purchased a portable L1/L2 EVSE from EVI in Baltimore, MD for slightly under $400. They sell it on Amazon.com or have an online website for ordering direct. I got it for my 2012 VOLT to replace the 120V OEM charger that came with the car, but have used the EVI unit to charge my RAV4 EV at 240V as well. It's maximum output power is right around 4000 watts (235V at 17A), and it has a nice LCD (to indicate ACV, current, kWH, duration of charge, and status mode) built into the unit. I ordered mine with optional input adapters for either 120 or 240V plug-in outlets. It can be operated from either AC voltage source automatically. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I would never recommend this evse to anyone, it is poorly made, horrible enclosure, very poor support and many people have had them fail- more than once. I would say the worst EVSE on the market today sold in the USA. If you can return it do so quickly and avoid future frustration.

One more option is the Siemens Versicharge. We have the one with the 20' cord, its currently $550 on Amazon and its easily adjustable from 1.8 to 7.2 KW rate of charge (5 total choices of rates). It takes about 15 seconds to adjust to different charge rates. We use this feature alot as we also have an off-grid PV system.

Second the motion on the Versicharge. I have one which i use as a portable charger (I carry it in the "trunk" of the Rav4 along with adapters).
My solar installer up in the mountains got one too.

You have to open the unit up to set the charge rate (although, the enterprising person could make a small hole in the front panel at exactly the right place and you could adjust it externally that way). I normally run mine at 75% of full charge (which is about 5 KW) becuase thats 24 amps which is the most you should draw from a 30amp dryer outlet which is my most common charging source.) however settings of 50% (3.6KW) and 25% (1.8KW i guess although i've never run mine that low to verify). If i'm using < 5KW i generally use the 120V charger the car came with instead (1.1KW). I have briefly set it to 100% and used the full 7.2KW this charger is capable of, its pretty fast but it heats up my breaker...

4EVEREV said:
Dsinned said:
Birddog said:
I would never recommend this evse to anyone, it is poorly made, horrible enclosure, very poor support and many people have had them fail- more than once. I would say the worst EVSE on the market today sold in the USA. If you can return it do so quickly and avoid future frustration.
Each to their own. I guess one man's oasis is another man's desert. I had no such unpleasant experience. The only drawback of EVI's unit is that is NOT UL approved. It is "CE" marked, however. I believe it to be an entirely safe design nevertheless and of good quality construction. It DOES have a two-way adjustable output, but frankly that is not one of its strong points. However, for the price (under $400), it has a lot of bang for the buck and is especially useful as a "portable" L1/L2 EVSE. I still highly recommend it, especially for EVs that do not have greater than 3.3kW onboard chargers, regardless of what one of my fellow Moderator's thinks. :mrgreen:

Seems many of their old bad reviews have been stripped from Amazon. Some are still there. It's a cheap Chinese unit sold here by a bunch of inexperienced people that provide bad support. The enclosure is about the grade of a Radio Shack hobby box.

Mine works fine and for the price ($395 including shipping) paid it more than meets expectations. I got the latest version, with the built-in LCD. I believe there was an older model with no LCD originally. The enclosure is made of metal and seems durable and suitable for outdoor use (although probably not entirely waterproof). When I use it to charge my RAV4 EV, the enclosure gets warm to the touch, but nothing I am worried about. The input output cables are all well constructed and insulated for high current applications, although I think the internal wire size is only 10AWG, which is still adequate for a "16A" maximum rating and makes it much easier to carry and coil up for storage purposes. The J1772 connector and input AC adapters are as good as any of the other manufacturers offer.

Compared to the other portable L1/L2, 120/240V, 16A capable EVSEs, such as the AeroVironment TurboCord, EVI's unit is about $200 cheaper. The universal input on the TurboCord is flimsy and awkward to use because the AC voltage configurable plug head is too heavy to stay properly seated in the wall socket. Clipper Creek makes a comparably priced unit but only supports L2 charging.

In other words, if you do not need to charge higher than 3.84kW, and want the versatility of being able to charge from either a 120V or 240V outlet, while not taking up much space in the trunk of your EV, the EVI EVSE seems worthy of consideration for the price.

I don't work for EVI, so this review is merely my honest opinion.

Back