Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 167
So this isn't you?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/member.p ... nyWilliams

Gosh - this whole time I thought that was you!

Which mod did you piss off? They're a touchy bunch of fanbois over there, for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 167
Here are some more pictures of a Rav4 EV next to a Model X. First picture is with air suspension at Very High, second picture is with air suspension at Low, while the third and fourth pictures are taken from the side showing the cars have very similar dimensions... so much so that you can't really see either car on the other side in both shots. As you can see from the headrest heights, the driver in the Model X sits a little higher than the Rav4 EV.

Image

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 am
Posts: 12
Not to revive an old thread, But I was recently in the bay area and there was a line of Toyota Mirai's. I chatted with one of the owners. They are a pain in the ass. Many of the filling stations are off line. He had to drive 15 miles to this one, and at about 15 to fill from empty, car number 5 in the line is in for an hour to fill.

TOYOTA, bring back the Teslota!

The Rav4 is 150 miles range from being the Perfect EV.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 167
I agree - Toyota really blew it. How many people would have bought a 200-mile Rav4 EV for half (or even a third) of the price of a Model X? I would have been one of them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm
Posts: 313
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Blastphemy wrote:
I agree - Toyota really blew it. How many people would have bought a 200-mile Rav4 EV for half (or even a third) of the price of a Model X? I would have been one of them!

A 200 mile RAV4 would have been more expensive than that. The MSRP on our cars was $50K. A 200 mile version would have needed a 70+kWh battery and been more than 60K.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 628
Blastphemy wrote:
I agree - Toyota really blew it. How many people would have bought a 200-mile Rav4 EV for half (or even a third) of the price of a Model X? I would have been one of them!

Nope. Very poor support from the dealers mixed with Tesla friction, high cost of repairs, and not exactly reliable or easy to diagnose.

Now if Tesla would make a RAV like vehicle direct that might go. Or if Toyota would make an EV direct it might work.
Yes needs 250 minimum range.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 167
smkettner wrote:
Nope. Very poor support from the dealers mixed with Tesla friction, high cost of repairs, and not exactly reliable or easy to diagnose.

Now if Tesla would make a RAV like vehicle direct that might go. Or if Toyota would make an EV direct it might work.
Yes needs 250 minimum range.

Nope. Toyota sold the Rav4 EV like the compliance car it was, so it never had a chance. Had Toyota gone all-in on a more robust Rav4 EV (200-mile range, actual 4-wheel drive for the Rav"4", etc.), it would have been a best seller, years before the Model X or Model 3 were released. Instead, Toyota went all in on Hydrogen Fool Cells, and lost that bet big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 4113
Location: San Diego
Blastphemy wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Nope. Very poor support from the dealers mixed with Tesla friction, high cost of repairs, and not exactly reliable or easy to diagnose.

Now if Tesla would make a RAV like vehicle direct that might go. Or if Toyota would make an EV direct it might work.
Yes needs 250 minimum range.

Nope. Toyota sold the Rav4 EV like the compliance car it was, so it never had a chance. Had Toyota gone all-in on a more robust Rav4 EV (200-mile range, actual 4-wheel drive for the Rav"4", etc.), it would have been a best seller, years before the Model X or Model 3 were released. Instead, Toyota went all in on Hydrogen Fool Cells, and lost that bet big time.


Toyota can still make the 200-300 mile range Toyota RAV4 EV with ubiquitous access to fast charging. They choose not to.

_________________
Tony Williams
QC Charge
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAV4 next to the Model X
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 628
All we can hope is the solid state batteries Toyota is working on can become viable at reasonable cost.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group