Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen much info about Toyota used car platinum warranty posted. The new car platinum warranty is much cheaper but I missed my chance. I was told at my dealer yesterday that the cost of a used car platinum warranty is determined by the odometer reading. In particular there is a ~$400 increase when you are above 50K miles. The next higher tier is when you are above 70K miles. Oscar (financing manager) at Carson Toyota was very helpful. I suggest giving him a call if you are in the same boat buying your lease end RAV4 EV. He says he may be able to help even if your car was purchased from another dealer.

Can anyone post whether I was told correctly that an out of warranty2012 RAV4 ev (3yr 36,000mi) was only eligible for a Toyota platinum used car waranty if it bought as a certified used Toyota by dealer.
I was told be rep in service Dept at Poway that if not a certified used car it would only be a third party waranty not a Toyota one.....
I love when you hear and read ten different stories.....

See my post here:

Al Savage said:
I bought the Platinum used car warranty, zero deductible, 5 year/60k miles (good 'till Sep2022/110,641 mi. for mine) for $2,525 (2,778 after tax) + used car inspection fee $120 (135 after tax) = $2,913 out the door.
I had purchased my RAV4EV from Paramount Motors in Seattle, definitely not a Toyota dealer.

pretty frustrated.....

I'm in so cal, and been to and called about 12 Toyota dealers, some saying they can sell a toyota used car warranty until it comes time to actually do it they back out saying some version of
it has to be sold by us or as a "certified" used car from a toyota dealer. or cant sell out of state
the suggestion was given to call Bozeman which sounded promising until the second day when i was going to buy it, they required an inspection in Bozeman. wtf?

its a 2012, 38K miles and in so cal. Any ideas???

Docfranco said:
pretty frustrated.....

I'm in so cal, and been to and called about 12 Toyota dealers, some saying they can sell a toyota used car warranty until it comes time to actually do it they back out saying some version of
it has to be sold by us or as a "certified" used car from a toyota dealer. or cant sell out of state
the suggestion was given to call Bozeman which sounded promising until the second day when i was going to buy it, they required an inspection in Bozeman. wtf?

Offer to have the car inspected at a local dealer (that you will pay) and send the results to them in Bozeman.

TonyWilliams said:
Docfranco said:
pretty frustrated.....

Offer to have the car inspected at a local dealer (that you will pay) and send the results to them in Bozeman.
I actually did offer that. Harmony told me it had to be done in person
In Bozeman.
I do currently have a call in for Brent, but he has turned
That over to Cody who I should hear from today. Crossing fingers.

We currently have 8Y/125K Platinum that will likely run out in the spring. I'd like to extend it with a Used Car Warranty and our local dealer says at our current mileage a 3/36 would be the max, but they can't do it anyway since they can only sell them when they sell a car. Anyone succeed in buying a Used Car Platinum anywhere in California on a car they already own?

slorav4 said:
We currently have 8Y/125K Platinum that will likely run out in the spring. I'd like to extend it with a Used Car Warranty and our local dealer says at our current mileage a 3/36 would be the max, but they can't do it anyway since they can only sell them when they sell a car. Anyone succeed in buying a Used Car Platinum anywhere in California on a car they already own?

I just realized that the 7/125k Platinum runs out in one year. Time flies!

Platinum Warranty for my car 7 Yr /100K is going to Expire by March 2020. Wondering if anyone was able to Extend the Warranty as a Used Car Warranty.

If any had luck. Please let me know the details.

Thanks for the Help.

ravisekhar said:
Platinum Warranty for my car 7 Yr /100K is going to Expire by March 2020. Wondering if anyone was able to Extend the Warranty as a Used Car Warranty.

If any had luck. Please let me know the details.

Thanks for the Help.

Call the Toyota dealer in Bozeman, Montana.

Toyota Platinum Warranties (Vehicle Service Agreement - VSA) are available for purchase at any Toyota dealer.

The 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV is a "Tier 3" vehicle in the warranty program.

The two types of recommended warranties are:

1) Toyota NEW car Platinum warranty (VSA). The Toyota vehicle must be less than 3 years / 36,000 miles from new. Available for up to 10 years / 125,000 miles from the new car sale date.

2) Toyota USED car Platinum warranty (VSA). The Toyota vehicle must be less than 9 years / 150,000 miles from new.

Available for up to 3-year / 36,000 miles warranty if more than 100,000 miles on the used RAV4 EV.

Available for up to 5 years / 60,000 miles from the extended warranty purchase date if less than 100,000 miles.

Hello all! I'm thinking about buying a RAV4EV and I'm eyeing on a few from different MYs ('12-'14). I know Tony was much against buying anything but the Toyota Platinum, but... if I buy a '12, which could have been first titled in '11, then 10YR plan may only give me 2 years of coverage from now. Is there a benefit, other than being native, over a 3rd party coverage that covers up to 10 years from now, as many as 8 more after the Platinum expires? I'll be looking into the coverages of CarChex and Endurance, they both seem to be pretty reputable providers... I'm in SoCal, I'm planning on putting about 14k mi/yr if these matter...

semipermeable said:
Hello all! I'm thinking about buying a RAV4EV and I'm eyeing on a few from different MYs ('12-'14). I know Tony was much against buying anything but the Toyota Platinum, but... if I buy a '12, which could have been first titled in '11, then 10YR plan may only give me 2 years of coverage from now. Is there a benefit, other than being native, over a 3rd party coverage that covers up to 10 years from now, as many as 8 more after the Platinum expires? I'll be looking into the coverages of CarChex and Endurance, they both seem to be pretty reputable providers... I'm in SoCal, I'm planning on putting about 14k mi/yr if these matter...
There are two different VSA's (Vehicle Service Agreements) available from Toyota. You can buy the "New Car" plan as long as the original 3yr/36k mile Bumper to Bumper warranty is still in effect. Obviously at this point there are no more RAV4 EVs that qualify for this. So, the other option is the "Used Car" plan. Those are not measured from the "in service date" like the New Car plan, but rather from the plan purchase date and odometer. Those can be purchased for up to 5 yr/60k miles from plan purchase. Many dealers will only sell you this plan if you buy the car from them. However, there are some that sell it to anyone with inspection and others that will sell it to you without inspecting the car. Good luck.

Hello Miimura - thank you for clarifying - I understood the difference. I'm reaching out to some Toyota dealers (including previously mentioned Ray from Gilroy) but I'm not getting positive responses from any. I think I just need to continue with the hunt... :\ Has anyone been able to get used VSA (with or without an inspection) in CA lately?

Any help is appreciated!

semipermeable said:

Toyota Platinum Warranties (Vehicle Service Agreement - VSA) are available for purchase at any Toyota dealer.

The 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV is a "Tier 3" vehicle in the warranty program.

For the Toyota USED car Platinum warranty (VSA), the Toyota vehicle must be less than 9 years / 150,000 miles from new.

Available for up to 3-year / 36,000 miles warranty if more than 100,000 miles on the used RAV4 EV.

Available for up to 5 years / 60,000 miles from the extended warranty purchase date if less than 100,000 miles.

semipermeable said:
Hello Miimura - thank you for clarifying - I understood the difference. I'm reaching out to some Toyota dealers (including previously mentioned Ray from Gilroy) but I'm not getting positive responses from any. I think I just need to continue with the hunt... :\ Has anyone been able to get used VSA (with or without an inspection) in CA lately?

Any help is appreciated!

I'm in the same boat. 97k miles on my wife's RAV4. Platinum 7yr/125k warranty is expiring in Dec this year.

Is there any cost effective way to either extend this or get a new warranty policy?

If the 5yr/60k Toyota USED car Platinum warranty is an option, anyone have a sense of the cost? Tier 3, meaning relatively expensive next to other Yota vehicles?

With my factory warranty running out this month, I'm considering a Titan Auto Powertrain Plus or Powertrain (regular?) warranty - any comments/suggestions welcome,
Ferenc
PS Had drive motor replaced a few months ago (used or new????) under the factory extended warranty ...

Back