Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 am
Posts: 19
astroev wrote:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.


Reporting back on this. Tony at Palo Alto said it was the "Tesla gateway ECU" failed. They got a replacement from Tesla same day(!!) and replaced it. No charge as under the 60,000 mile warranty.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:49 am
Posts: 573
Location: Ithaca, NY
astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.


Reporting back on this. Tony at Palo Alto said it was the "Tesla gateway ECU" failed. They got a replacement from Tesla same day(!!) and replaced it. No charge as under the 60,000 mile warranty.


Wow nice! Congrats.

_________________
2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 am
Posts: 19
astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.


Reporting back on this. Tony at Palo Alto said it was the "Tesla gateway ECU" failed. They got a replacement from Tesla same day(!!) and replaced it. No charge as under the 60,000 mile warranty.


A bit more color from Tony when I picked it up: the technician advised against using B mode on long downhills when charge > ~70 miles because it can't use the power to charge efficiently. Technician thinks the problem I had was the battery overheating and that the ECU failure was separate or maybe caused by the battery glitch. Don't know what to think about all that. If this is true the battery problem may still be there. Time will tell.

Also said my engine whir is there but not loud enough yet to get replaced. 8000 miles left on the 60,000 warranty.

Non-warranty ECU replacement price would have been about $4400.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:49 am
Posts: 573
Location: Ithaca, NY
astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.


Reporting back on this. Tony at Palo Alto said it was the "Tesla gateway ECU" failed. They got a replacement from Tesla same day(!!) and replaced it. No charge as under the 60,000 mile warranty.


A bit more color from Tony when I picked it up: the technician advised against using B mode on long downhills when charge > ~70 miles because it can't use the power to charge efficiently. Technician thinks the problem I had was the battery overheating and that the ECU failure was separate or maybe caused by the battery glitch. Don't know what to think about all that. If this is true the battery problem may still be there. Time will tell.

Also said my engine whir is there but not loud enough yet to get replaced. 8000 miles left on the 60,000 warranty.

Non-warranty ECU replacement price would have been about $4400.


I dont know about all of that. Sounds like BS. I have hills all over Ithaca and us B mode all the time. I am sure there are people out there in Cali that have used it going down mountains.

_________________
2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 580
astroev wrote:
Non-warranty ECU replacement price would have been about $4400.
Cashier told me $3,800 or something close. Very matter of fact and a straight face like it was completely normal. I let her know it was under warranty. Took close to an hour to get the right person to correct the paperwork. What a waste of time but the cost will soon be real.

EVs may have few moving parts but the few that do and the electronics are just insane expensive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm
Posts: 264
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
jimbo69ny wrote:
I dont know about all of that. Sounds like BS. I have hills all over Ithaca and us B mode all the time. I am sure there are people out there in Cali that have used it going down mountains.

Double BS since if you didn't use "B" mode, then you'd have to ride the brakes, which is going to max out regen anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 am
Posts: 19
davewill wrote:
jimbo69ny wrote:
I dont know about all of that. Sounds like BS. I have hills all over Ithaca and us B mode all the time. I am sure there are people out there in Cali that have used it going down mountains.

Double BS since if you didn't use "B" mode, then you'd have to ride the brakes, which is going to max out regen anyway.


I know. Surprised to have gotten that from Palo Alto.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 3979
Location: San Diego
astroev wrote:
Also said my engine whir is there but not loud enough yet to get replaced. 8000 miles left on the 60,000 warranty.

Non-warranty ECU replacement price would have been about $4400.


Make sure you don’t go over 60 months from the date it was sold new. Call the dealer and have them give you the exact sale date. Don’t guess.

I recommend that you start shopping for the Platinum warranty. The guy in Bozeman seems to be the best source this week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 580
I got the warning message today. Vehicle is out of warranty.

While driving 60 mph (cc) suddenly the vehicle basically shuts off and restarts. GOM drops to LO and turtle light is on along with EV system warning light. Car continues to run and GOM numbers start coming up as I travel. Was about 75% charged at the time. Only odd thing I noticed is that it seemed to happen when I selected to turn the air conditioning on or within a few seconds.

Similar happened last May IIRC. Don't remember if the A/C was a trigger then. Dealer found nothing of course. Now I suspect a voltage fluctuation when the A/C compressor started.

A few more starts and I assume the warning light will go off again and all back to normal.... whatever that is. Doubt it is worth the time in the dealer until it stops completely.

Just wanted to express this situation as a data point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:49 am
Posts: 573
Location: Ithaca, NY
smkettner wrote:
I got the warning message today. Vehicle is out of warranty.

While driving 60 mph (cc) suddenly the vehicle basically shuts off and restarts. GOM drops to LO and turtle light is on along with EV system warning light. Car continues to run and GOM numbers start coming up as I travel. Was about 75% charged at the time. Only odd thing I noticed is that it seemed to happen when I selected to turn the air conditioning on or within a few seconds.

Similar happened last May IIRC. Don't remember if the A/C was a trigger then. Dealer found nothing of course. Now I suspect a voltage fluctuation when the A/C compressor started.

A few more starts and I assume the warning light will go off again and all back to normal.... whatever that is. Doubt it is worth the time in the dealer until it stops completely.

Just wanted to express this situation as a data point.


Have you replaced your 12v battery? If not do it now. Replace with the Bosch battery that we are always talking about.

_________________
2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group