Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 pm 

astroev wrote:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.

Reporting back on this. Tony at Palo Alto said it was the "Tesla gateway ECU" failed. They got a replacement from Tesla same day(!!) and replaced it. No charge as under the 60,000 mile warranty.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:10 pm 

astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:
Today I was going down steep hill near our house in B mode, outside air temp about 73. At the bottom of the hill it flipped into turtle mode, charge went to 0 bars, and the Check EV System warning light came on. Pulled into nearby lot. I power cycled multiple times with no joy, but after about 30 minutes I tried again, just as the tow truck came, and all was good. 52,000 miles. I guess I'll not take it in and see if it recurs.

Reporting back on this. Tony at Palo Alto said it was the "Tesla gateway ECU" failed. They got a replacement from Tesla same day(!!) and replaced it. No charge as under the 60,000 mile warranty.

Wow nice! Congrats.

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:48 am 

astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:

A bit more color from Tony when I picked it up: the technician advised against using B mode on long downhills when charge > ~70 miles because it can't use the power to charge efficiently. Technician thinks the problem I had was the battery overheating and that the ECU failure was separate or maybe caused by the battery glitch. Don't know what to think about all that. If this is true the battery problem may still be there. Time will tell.

Also said my engine whir is there but not loud enough yet to get replaced. 8000 miles left on the 60,000 warranty.

Non-warranty ECU replacement price would have been about $4400.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 am 

astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:
astroev wrote:

A bit more color from Tony when I picked it up: the technician advised against using B mode on long downhills when charge > ~70 miles because it can't use the power to charge efficiently. Technician thinks the problem I had was the battery overheating and that the ECU failure was separate or maybe caused by the battery glitch. Don't know what to think about all that. If this is true the battery problem may still be there. Time will tell.

Also said my engine whir is there but not loud enough yet to get replaced. 8000 miles left on the 60,000 warranty.

I dont know about all of that. Sounds like BS. I have hills all over Ithaca and us B mode all the time. I am sure there are people out there in Cali that have used it going down mountains.

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 am 

astroev wrote:
Cashier told me $3,800 or something close. Very matter of fact and a straight face like it was completely normal. I let her know it was under warranty. Took close to an hour to get the right person to correct the paperwork. What a waste of time but the cost will soon be real.

EVs may have few moving parts but the few that do and the electronics are just insane expensive.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:07 pm 

jimbo69ny wrote:
I dont know about all of that. Sounds like BS. I have hills all over Ithaca and us B mode all the time. I am sure there are people out there in Cali that have used it going down mountains.

Double BS since if you didn't use "B" mode, then you'd have to ride the brakes, which is going to max out regen anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 am 

davewill wrote:
jimbo69ny wrote:

Double BS since if you didn't use "B" mode, then you'd have to ride the brakes, which is going to max out regen anyway.

I know. Surprised to have gotten that from Palo Alto.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:28 pm 

astroev wrote:

Make sure you don’t go over 60 months from the date it was sold new. Call the dealer and have them give you the exact sale date. Don’t guess.

I recommend that you start shopping for the Platinum warranty. The guy in Bozeman seems to be the best source this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79