Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:12 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Incredulocious wrote:
Any other ideas? Or is just going to require another visit to a Toyota dealer?
If it is working I would just drive it normal for 2 or 3 weeks before I went to the dealer.

If four start-ups don’t clear the message, and disconnecting the 12 volt doesn’t do it, you’ll have to have the dealer reset the error message coming from the Tesla gateway.

Sadly, pretty normal for a dead 12 volt battery.

Obviously, it’s perfectly safe to drive the car until it’s concenient to get the “CHECK EV” message cleared.

Ask the dealer if is a “P312F” DTC / error message.

Thanks Tony, and everyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:16 pm 

I’m currently at Toyota Sunnyvale looking at a long wait (maybe five hours?) for their EV technician to do diagnosis on my “Check EV System” message that resulted from draining my 12V battery while away for a couple of months.

My issue is that they’ve given me a $298 estimate for doing a diagnosis that I’m told potentialy won’t be covered by my Platinum extended warranty if it’s just a code that needs to be cleared and not due to something that the warranty covers. I’ve pushed back on a fee that seems exorbitant if it turns out an error code just needs to be cleared but they’re not budging on that.

Has anybody had better luck dealing with this somewhere else?

Update (five hours later): Yes, it turned out to just be an error code (yes, DTC 312F) that needed to be cleared. Apparently that translates as "Electric Propulsion Control Module Requested Mil". I don't know what "Mil" means but I'm told that the error code is associated with low voltage on the 12V battery, which of course is what I was expecting. (My Bosch AGM battery tested out fine by them. See my earlier message about recovering it.)

Setting aside the issue we all know already about how leaving your RAV4 EV to sit too long without being used (and forgetting to put it on a 12V battery trickle charger) can kill your non-AGM 12V battery and may result in a dealer-only serviceable "Check EV Message", I see two more glaring issues:

#1: Getting this "Check EV Message" error code cleared is not covered under our extended warranties;
and #2: Toyota Sunnyvale wants you to pay $298 as part of their standard diagnostic service to clear it.

I tried calling and emailing the service department at Toyota Magnussen (Palo Alto) to find out how much they would charge but I didn't hear back in time. The answer eventually came back as $160. In the end, after raising an argument with Toyota Sunnyvale, they lowered their charge to $198 for me. Erg, still too much when all I needed was for them to check and clear an error code.

So, buyer beware and here's another reason to stay away from Toyota Sunnyvale. (Yeah, I know, people have already reported having troubles with them. I mistakenly thought diagnosing an error code with an extended warranty in hand wouldn't leave me gouged.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm 

I submitted a complaint (as described above in my previous post) to Toyota Customer Care.
This is the rather disappointing reply:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

Per p. 81 of your Owner’s Manual when not using the vehicle for an extended period of time, Toyota recommends plugging in the vehicle whenever it is not in use.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
James F.
Toyota Customer Experience Center

I've replied with the explanation that plugging in the vehicle does not in fact maintain the 12V battery and provided links to various threads on the forum discussing the issue.

(sigh)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 pm 

Incredulocious wrote:
I’m currently at Toyota Sunnyvale looking at a long wait (maybe five hours?) for their EV technician to do diagnosis on my “Check EV System” message that resulted from draining my 12V battery while away for a couple of months.

My issue is that they’ve given me a $298 estimate for doing a diagnosis that I’m told potentialy won’t be covered by my Platinum extended warranty if it’s just a code that needs to be cleared and not due to something that the warranty covers. I’ve pushed back on a fee that seems exorbitant if it turns out an error code just needs to be cleared but they’re not budging on that.

Has anybody had better luck dealing with this somewhere else?

Update (five hours later): Yes, it turned out to just be an error code (yes, DTC 312F) that needed to be cleared. Apparently that translates as "Electric Propulsion Control Module Requested Mil". I don't know what "Mil" means but I'm told that the error code is associated with low voltage on the 12V battery, which of course is what I was expecting. (My Bosch AGM battery tested out fine by them. See my earlier message about recovering it.)

Setting aside the issue we all know already about how leaving your RAV4 EV to sit too long without being used (and forgetting to put it on a 12V battery trickle charger) can kill your non-AGM 12V battery and may result in a dealer-only serviceable "Check EV Message", I see two more glaring issues:

#1: Getting this "Check EV Message" error code cleared is not covered under our extended warranties;
and #2: Toyota Sunnyvale wants you to pay $298 as part of their standard diagnostic service to clear it.

I tried calling and emailing the service department at Toyota Magnussen (Palo Alto) to find out how much they would charge but I didn't hear back in time. The answer eventually came back as $160. In the end, after raising an argument with Toyota Sunnyvale, they lowered their charge to $198 for me. Erg, still too much when all I needed was for them to check and clear an error code.

So, buyer beware and here's another reason to stay away from Toyota Sunnyvale. (Yeah, I know, people have already reported having troubles with them. I mistakenly thought diagnosing an error code with an extended warranty in hand wouldn't leave me gouged.)

Hi,
1. DTC P312F (Info Code 448) = "Electric Propulsion Control Module Requested MIL (the Malfunction Iluminate Lampe aka "Check Engine Lampe") Illumination.
In other words, the reason for this code is the presence of a malfunction in the Tesla system.
This system can only be diagnosed using the "Tesla Powertrain Service Diagnostics RAV4":
and OEM interface "EV HV Powertrain Diagnostic Cable Kit" (OEM Part.No. 82824-36150-01):

You are told the version of Teslas Electric Propulsion Control System (must be v. 1.3.101*)?

As I understand, those "experts" either can not or do not really want to perform the necessary diagnostics , but they want money ... and a lot ...
I wonder , if they know about the second diagnostic Connector aka DLC3 No.2 ? :mrgreen:

RAV4EV RM for DTC P312F wrote:
DESCRIPTION
When a malfunction occurs in the electric propulsion control system, an electric propulsion control system malfunction signal is sent to the power management control ECU from the EV gateway control ECU. When the power management control ECU receives this malfunction signal, this DTC is output.
INSPECTION PROCEDURE
HINT: Since the alert codes are cleared when the power switch is turned off, if no alert codes are output, confirm the conditions present when the malfunction occurred and the P312F-448 freeze frame data. Then, try to reproduce the malfunction and check for alert codes **.

* end of viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2117
** E.g.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81