Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Car won't charge / Onboard Charger Failure
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 pm 

Has the dealership been able to pull any fault codes, on either the Tesla side or Toyota side?

As the power steering is an intermittent but potentially high current load on the 12V system, I'd want to know the health of the 12V system, particularly as it can cause trouble in a variety of subsystems.

This is what I keep plugged into my RAV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N00I4TM/ It's not a calibrated instrument (mine reads about 0.2-0.3V higher than actual), but it will let you monitor the general status of the 12V system while driving. If the DC-DC is functioning correctly, you should typically see around 14.0-14.5V displayed (I'd consider anything from 13.5-15.0V to be acceptable, given the slight error possible in the meter itself) while in READY, and around 13.6V when charging.

If the 12V system proves to be OK, and based on the other modules already swapped/replaced, I'd probably next look at wiring harness connections for corrosion/rodent damage/etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:42 pm 

hokiematt wrote:
Has the dealership been able to pull any fault codes, on either the Tesla side or Toyota side?

As the power steering is an intermittent but potentially high current load on the 12V system, I'd want to know the health of the 12V system, particularly as it can cause trouble in a variety of subsystems.
The dealership can necessarily get any trouble codes on the Tesla or Toyota side, if they are in the memory of the corresponding ECUs.
Moreover, they must verify the parameters of the respective systems.
For example,
https://youtu.be/ASQSTf6lzRI,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm 

Thanks hokiematt and alflash,
On Friday, the service person let me know that they were able to find an error code that coincides with the day I had the power steering failure, but she didn't tell me what the codes were. They have sent them on to Toyota. I am headed to Carson Toyota today to see if they can give me any details.
The recommendation to monitor the 12V system is a very good one, I do believe that the intermittent charging failure stemmed from the 12V battery replacement. If and when I get my car back, I will monitor it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:56 am 

Carson Toyota finally called. They say its the drive train that needs to be replaced. Couldn't give me the codes, but they think drive train failure is what is causing the power steering failure. Does this sound plausible?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:39 am 

Drive unit seems to be the kingpin for lots of trouble. As long as Toyota/Tesla is paying you may as well stick it out.

I could not mentally handle these repairs, delays and costs. I had to let mine go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:27 pm 

prakash wrote:
Carson Toyota finally called. They say its the drive train that needs to be replaced. Couldn't give me the codes, but they think drive train failure is what is causing the power steering failure. Does this sound plausible?

In a word: No. This doesn't sound plausible, or at least extremely unlikely. The power steering system is all Toyota: torque sensor, assist motor, ECU, etc. Inputs to the PS ECU are via the Toyota CAN bus, there's no direct connection to the Tesla system.

The dealership should be able to give you the codes from the Techstream software with any fault codes reported as by the power steering ECU. If you search on this forum or the Facebook group, you can find links to aftermarket cables/software that will give you the Techstream diagnostics ability for around $30, if you want to check things out for yourself (note this only gives you Toyota fault codes, not Tesla).

Did you happen to acquire a cigarette lighter voltage indicator I previously suggested? A faulty DC-DC that doesn't provide a robust 13-15V to the system could cause many strange issues; the intermittent high current loads of the power steering could make things worse. Keeping an eye on the voltage while you turn the steering back and forth would let you determine if that's an issue.

If the 12V system checks out, I'd suspect a problem with the CAN bus. The power steering ECU relies on the CAN data to know that the vehicle is in gear and moving, in order to be active and adjust the amount of assist. There are several fault codes that can describe the nature of any faults related to the CAN bus.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:49 am 

I think the drive unit is plausible, because I remember having power steering warnings and Check EV warnings (switching back and forth) when my drive unit failed while on the freeway a month or two ago.

'13 Silver RAV4 EV #2178
(Aftermarket Leather Seats)
'11 Leaf SV (retired)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6