2014 Rav4 EV Dead - Dealer says cost will be $13k - vehicle will be total loss

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Description of procedures for checking and replacing HEATING / AIR CONDITIONING coolant* is in your mail [email protected].
It is more convenient to carry out the replacement using the publicly available Techstream program, but it is also possible without it.

* Note.
NOTICE: Do not reuse the drained coolant because it may contain foreign matter.

Coolant quantity: 1.5 liters (1.6 US qts, 1.3 Imp. qts.)
HINT:
  • Use coolant that is diluted by 50%.
  • Only use TOYOTA Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) or similar high quality ethylene glycol based nonsilicate, nonamine, nonnitrite, and non-borate coolant.

mihalakj said:
Final Update!

The car is fixed. It was a several-day operation to get the components in the trunk disassembled enough to remove the charger and replace the fuse which was the problem. I was able to put everything back together and then contact alflash to help me run diagnostics and purge the air bubbles from the car.
Without alflash, all hope would have been lost and this car would have been sold for scrap parts. Thanks to alflash, I am able to take this car to CarMax, sell it, and have a substantial downpayment for my next vehicle.
Thanks alflash!
For any other RAV4EV owners that have this same problem, give this a try. It is not easy, but it is definitely worth recovering the cost of the vehicle!!!
VICTORY!
I'm pleased!
Video of checking charging using remote diagnostics after successful repair of the charger of your RAV4EV (part 1)

https://youtu.be/k99BXeDkTnc

Update.
Perform the mandatory post-repair Coolant Air Purge procedure after repairing the Charger on this RAV4EV using remote diagnostics.

https://youtu.be/1eykkIns7KM

I am curious what your cost was to do this versus the 13K the dealer wanted? And did you replace fuses as the fix?

mihalakj said:
Final Update!

The car is fixed. It was a several-day operation to get the components in the trunk disassembled enough to remove the charger and replace the fuse which was the problem. I was able to put everything back together and then contact alflash to help me run diagnostics and purge the air bubbles from the car.

Without alflash, all hope would have been lost and this car would have been sold for scrap parts. Thanks to alflash, I am able to take this car to CarMax, sell it, and have a substantial downpayment for my next vehicle.

Thanks alflash!

For any other RAV4EV owners that have this same problem, give this a try. It is not easy, but it is definitely worth recovering the cost of the vehicle!!!

VICTORY!

The fuses were the fix. I paid Vlad $200, I bought the fuses for $30, I bought the microtik router and ethernet cables for about $70. Refill of coolant was about $60. I also took it to the dealer and wasted $200 having them do diagnostics, which ended up being really just them telling me to take it off their lot, we don't want to deal with this. So total for me was about $560.

Sold the car for $10.5k

Wow - that is great! - I have a 13 and a 14 - both still have extended warranties for a about 18 more months. But I have a Heater and DC Dc converter repair that will chew most of the warranty dollars on the 2013 - just waiting on the dealer to get the parts. Its nice to know we can do some of this - I am very handy with an ICE engine but havent had to do anything on the Rav's.

Vlad - can you list what is needed for you to do analysis? I would like to have them in my garage for when they eventually are needed.

bdunst said:
Wow - that is great! - I have a 13 and a 14 - both still have extended warranties for a about 18 more months. But I have a Heater and DC Dc converter repair that will chew most of the warranty dollars on the 2013 - just waiting on the dealer to get the parts. Its nice to know we can do some of this - I am very handy with an ICE engine but havent had to do anything on the Rav's.

Vlad - can you list what is needed for you to do analysis? I would like to have them in my garage for when they eventually are needed.
rem_diag2a.png

Details in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesgCYBINgg

Update.
Are the dealer technicians waiting to get these fuses?
Maybe you can help them and buy them yourself?
dc_conv_fuses.jpg

Or do they only know how to change entire devices without understanding the reasons for their malfunction? :cry:

p.s. To receive free consultations, this page and/or links to contacts are available https://alflash.com.ua/service/rav4ev-precheck-customize-list-2/

Vlad - thanks - I just ordered the router and odb connector from amazon.

I think when I get it put together I will have you try and access and see what errors are on my car - toyota dealer is actually waiting on a heater.
I honestly don't know if they know for sure the DC-DC converter was bad - or they were trying to scare me with the price - they shut up when I gave them the warranty card.

What I know is the heater is not working - and I could not find a heater anywhere. Or I would do it myself and save the warranty dollars for a motor replacement before it ends.

This car had both the heater and dcdc converter replaced in 2016 under original platinum warranty.

Back