After Market Dealer Installed Alarm

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dark

I opened the fuse box below the steering wheel today and notice an aftermarket alarm is installed in my car. I didn't purchase any alarm system with the car, the alarm could be factory but sure the wirings are tab to the car.

Does anyone have this? Do I need to pay for it to activate?

dark said:
I opened the fuse box below the steering wheel today and notice an aftermarket alarm is installed in my car. I didn't purchase any alarm system with the car, the alarm could be factory but sure the wirings are tab to the car.

I would demand that the dealer remove it if you didn't pay for it, or ask for it.

dark said:

Quite a few dealers contract with a company that installs alarm systems in every car on the lot. This is part of the upgrade items that the finance guy then tries to sell the customer. My experience with a prior vehicle was with the KARR alarm... the finance guy tried to sell the thing and just couldn't understand why I wouldn't go for it. "This is the one single item that I wouldn't let my own father leave without!" he said... total BS I told him as the vehicle had the factory security system that duplicated every feature! They won't activate unless you purchase yet they don't uninstall if you don't. Another cash cow for the dealership thru the finance guy!

It is easy for me to pull the alarm out, but since it is already installed with drilled holes and wire spliced. I prefer to leave it there. It is kind of surprised me that they waste money to install the alarm and I have no use of it.

At the end, I think it is pretty useless to install an alarm for the shock sensor function.

At the dealership that had the KARR alarms installed the salesman had a master remote that would let him access any car on the lot... easy for them to open locked cars to show customers without having to run in for the keys.

I would definitely take it out, with the technology being so new and with the general consensus on here that saving more energy is good... plus the whole lack of theft interest discussion that was on here as well, removal just seems like a good idea.

I'd assume it draws from the 12v system, how low does that battery get when the car just sits not plugged in?

I actually agree with Tony, if you didn't pay or ask, that could cause other issues down the road - like some kind of way for Toyota to weasel out of a warranty repair because of "aftermarket parts" BS.

Vach said:
I actually agree with Tony, if you didn't pay or ask, that could cause other issues down the road - like some kind of way for Toyota to weasel out of a warranty repair because of "aftermarket parts" BS.

I would make sure you left the dealership with a "DUE BILL" to remove the non-Toyota parts, and when you inevitably have problems, pay a different dealer to remove them and sue in small claims court for the balance due.

TonyWilliams said:
I would make sure you left the dealership with a "DUE BILL" to remove the non-Toyota parts, and when you inevitably have problems, pay a different dealer to remove them and sue in small claims court for the balance due.

Yea, exactly. I completely forgot to mention the DUE BILL, I had to do something similar to get dealer damage on my Windshield replaced.

Something else I thought of: is the alarm indicated in any of your paperwork? If it isn't, then I would definitely insist because otherwise you have no proof you weren't the one that installed it.

I think my dealer got my car from another dealer (swap), so I am pretty sure they are not aware of it. The damage is done already, I might just pull it out myself

Back