Driving Range display question

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqwalker

The past few charges I started seeing horizontal lines towards the top of the small Driving Range display (the meter that displays: Climate Setting, OFF, ECO HI, ECO LO and NORMAL) - even though I have a full charge, so plenty of miles left. I believe these thin lines are only supposed to appear when you get to a low charge (under 15 or so miles?). Isn't that correct?

Also, my horizontal lines are changing briefly from 1 (when driving) to 3 lines (when stopped). Maybe I'll need to briefly disconnect my battery to get this display to look normal again?

Regardless, it hasn't affected anything, except perhaps look weird.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Something isn't right. We call the plane that I occasionally fly the "reset jet", and I think our Rav4 EV is certainly that.

I recommend disconnecting the negative side of the 12 volt, and be prepared for a spark since there is ALWAYS current flowing (and part of the reason that the 12 volts don't last so long).

Thanks for the suggestion, Tony. I disconnected the negative plug on the battery this morning, but unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem.

I noticed that these horizontal lines fluctuate showing 3 lines sometimes and other times just 2 or perhaps 1 line. It's so random and they don't change constantly, maybe every 3 or 4 miles randomly. My first thought is perhaps it's a 'short' or something, but who knows. Since I only have 6700 miles on my 2014 RAV4 EV, I don't plan on seeing the dealer for another 3 months or so.

I think at this point, I plan to drive the car until there is less than 10 miles left on a charge and see if those lines start disappearing as the Driving Range meter goes down. Maybe that will 'reset' it.

These lines are just showing the relative estimated range (GOM) between the different eco settings for the climate control. Turn on the climate control and hit the Eco button several times and it will make sense.

Can you post a picture? Also, does the display show the other information on that section of the dashboard correctly? Press the Disp button on the steering wheel and see if there is any image problem on those image displays. I'm unclear whether you're talking about a LCD image corruption on the right side of the dashboard or the actual calculation and display of the charge level is fluctuating.

Yes, I realize that these lines represent the relative estimated range between the different settings when on, but I don't have any of the climate control settings on, but the lines still display all the time now. Miimura, when pressing the Disp button, it does show the other information correctly with no image problems at all. It's like the RAV thinks I have the climate controls on, but I don't.

I'm going to try to turn the climate controls on and off a bunch of times and maybe that will remove the lines.

I have pictures of it, but I'm not sure how to attach or imbed them here. Do I need to link it to a site like Photobucket or something? Thanks.

sqwalker said:
I have pictures of it, but I'm not sure how to attach or imbed them here. Do I need to link it to a site like Photobucket or something? Thanks.
Yes, I use Photobucket to store the images to embed here.

It's normal for the grayed out lines to display even with climate control off. I don't find that a particularly useful screen so I never use it.

Ok, thanks. I didn't think the those lines were supposed to appear until the range is under ~15 miles or something? If this is normal, I'm not sure how I missed this functionality this whole time. yblaser, what screen do you use?

Here's some pics of it displaying 3 lines and also 1 line with the car still having a range of 75 miles (climate control is OFF).

None of the screens are particularly useful unfortunately, but I tend to use the trip efficiency that shows your driving efficiency over the last 20 minutes. On the center console I have map mode with the energy monitor. It will show your average efficiency since it was last rest. By resetting it and the trip odometer after every battery charge you can estimate the remaining range if you maintain that efficiency .

This is just another of the strange User Interface decisions they made on this car. The lines are basically shadows of what the values would be for each of the other three climate settings. As you cycle through the ECO modes, the orange bar will jump to those shadowed positions.

The more counter-intuitive thing is that ECO-HI means higher efficiency than ECO-LO, not higher HVAC output. That one gets new users all the time. You just have to remember that the order of the list is from lowest efficiency (Normal) to highest efficiency (Off).

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been resetting the trip meter after each charge and also using the center console energy monitor, and those have been very helpful. Miimura, you're correct, the orange bar does jump to the shadowed position depending on the ECO mode.

It just seems silly to have those lines viewable when I have plenty of charge left. In the past I thought those lines didn't appear until the car was low on charge, but I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

Thank you all for your help. Now I can sleep again at night. :)

Back