How much would you pay for a "Tesla" upgrade?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

It has been said that the RAV4 EV propulsion unit and charging system are based on the Tesla Model S. It is also rumored that the 40 kWh Tesla battery is actually a 60 kWh battery with the extra 20 kWh software disable, The advantages of the Model S are:

1. Supercharger with ability to access the Supercharger stations throughout the country.
2. Built in ability to charge from almost any AC or DC source (with adapters)
3. Tesla service at sites throughout the USA and elsewhere in the world.
4. ? possible upgrade to a 60 kWh battery
5. ? possible Tesla warranty

How much would you be willing to pay Tesla for an upgrade including some or all the above items?

I will start the bidding at $7000 for an upgrade that includes at least the first three items.

I wanted to make this a poll, but couldn't figure out how to do this. If the moderator wants to, please add options starting @$4000 and extending up to $12000.

I would pay $2K for the Tesla plug. For 50% more battery, I would pay $5K as the range is fine now.

Since we're just dreaming here, I would pay $10,000 for a 60kWh battery upgrade and SuperCharger access, which would require fitting the Tesla inlet and associated power switching hardware.

P.S. There's no way this is ever going to happen at any price.

Michael Bornstein said:
It is also rumored that the 40 kWh Tesla battery is actually a 60 kWh battery with the extra 20 kWh software disable,
It's not a rumor. See http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-sales-exceed-target.
miimura said:
Since we're just dreaming here, I would pay $10,000 for a 60kWh battery upgrade and SuperCharger access, which would require fitting the Tesla inlet and associated power switching hardware.

P.S. There's no way this is ever going to happen at any price.
The $10K would be cheaper than the 40 kwh Model S owner would pay. I believe they'd have to pay $10K to unlock all 60 kWh and another $2500 to enable Supercharging after delivery.

cwerdna said:
Michael Bornstein said:
It is also rumored that the 40 kWh Tesla battery is actually a 60 kWh battery with the extra 20 kWh software disable,
It's not a rumor. See http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-sales-exceed-target.

Guys, the Rav4 EV doesn't use the same 18650 cell as Model S (lower milliamperes per cell) and it's not 60kWh. Secondly, it's not in the same packaging as a Tesla Model S.

Lastly, why would Toyota pay extra for a bigger battery that they don't want or need? Answer, they didn't.

Continue with the pipe dream.

Rav4EVpack.jpg

modelSpack.jpg

not even close.

cwerdna said:
miimura said:
The $10K would be cheaper than the 40 kwh Model S owner would pay. I believe they'd have to pay $10K to unlock all 60 kWh and another $2500 to enable Supercharging after delivery.
Nobody said that what I was willing to pay would ever align with what Tesla charges for current Model S owners.

Actually, my thinking is that if the RAV4 EV had 150mile EPA range and DCQC it would be worth the MSRP. As-is it's only worth what Toyota is charging after incentives.

TonyWilliams said:
geo said:
I'd pay up to $5K for Supercharger access, even with a 40kwh battery.

Everything else... whatever.
I probably would, too. But, we just don't have the range to go from Supercharger station to Suoercharger station, which means that it would "get-old-fast" on a trip.
The battery size and range is exactly the problem with trying to force SuperCharging on the RAV4 EV. However, for my most desired corridor, SF-LA, it would actually be doable. However, you lose a lot of charging speed because you would have to fully charge the car, unlike a real Tesla where it's better to keep the battery at a lower SOC to get faster charging.

San Francisco -> Gilroy = 77 mi
Gilroy -> Harris Ranch = 111 mi
Harris Ranch -> Tejon Ranch = 116 mi
Tejon Ranch -> Hawthorne = 90 mi

Back