Hypermiling - Beware of getting pulled over in SLO County!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

This is an heads up for anyone driving between San Luis Obispo and Salinas on 101 in San Luis Obispo County. I was pulled over last night around 10:30 PM for driving to slowly in the right hand lane (#2 lane) by a pair of San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Deputies. I had noticed a sheriff's patrol car pass me near San Miguel but I didn't think much of it. They apparently had been pacing me for several miles. I was driving 50 MPH on my speedometer (and GPS) in order to make the 127 mile distance between Salinas and San Luis Obispo. I have never been pulled over for driving too slowly before so this was rather surprising to me. The traffic stop was also rather interesting because after they pulled me over they tried to claim I was driving at 45 MPH and that I was going over the white line on the right side of the highway. I was certain I was driving 50 MPH on the speedometer and I was keeping to the far right of the lane (not on the shoulder though) to let traffic pass by. One deputy ran my driver's license and after he didn't find anything he questioned me on why I was driving 50 MPH. I told him I needed to drive 50 MPH to make the 127 mile distance between SLO and Salinas since I wouldn't have enough charge otherwise. The other deputy that also questioned me didn't seem to believe me when I told him the RAV4 EV had only a battery/motor and no gas engine. He then stated he was all for being environmentally friendly, but he then proceeded to lecture me on how I was impeding traffic and creating hazard due to the 15 to 20 MPH speed differential. (The speed limit is 65 or 70 MPH depending on what part of 101 it is and there weren't many vehicles on the road since it was late.) The first deputy also asked me if I had been drinking or distracted by something else. They finally they let me off with a warning and told me use the charging station in Atascadero at the Rabobank. It was an interesting encounter with SLO County's finest. Ironically, on the first half of my trip going north I had to follow behind a big rig that was driving at 45 MPH in the #2 lane for several miles to help conserve energy. I have also had several CHP officers pass me up with out stopping me at all. I think I'll have to talk to a CHP officer I work with and SLO County Sheriff's Deputy I know to get more details on what to do in the future even though the vehicle code allows for slower (less than speed limit) traffic in the right hand lane. I'll be happy once they install an L3 charger in King City.

So I have to say, beware of getting pulled over in SLO County for going less than the speed limit!

There is no minimum speed limit in CA. If there is more than 1 lane you are not impeding traffic. Semis do 35 mph in a 70 mph all the time, if that is not a safety hazard, then 50 mph in a 70 mph isn't. I had a CHP get on his PA and tell me to speed up, on the I15 south, north of Escondido, when I has doing 50 mph. At least he knew he didn't have cause to pull me over, this was midday, if it was 10:30 pm, he probably would have.

Just looking for drunks, the rest is BS. Example ALL vehicles towing are limited to 55 MPH and you were going a scant 5 under that legal limit :roll:

Thanks for bringing this up. I've always worried about a bored cop pulling me over for driving too slow despite always sticking to the right lane. It definitely sounds like they were looking to see if they could find anything else to charge you with. I need to make a trek from Anaheim to Ojai every once in a while and I cruise it at 55 mph. I might consider lowering it down to 50, but I'll have to make sure I leave my contraband at home now that I know the CHP is also looking for SLOW cars.

pchilds said:
There is no minimum speed limit in CA. If there is more than 1 lane you are not impeding traffic. Semis do 35 mph in a 70 mph all the time, if that is not a safety hazard, then 50 mph in a 70 mph isn't. I had a CHP get on his PA and tell me to speed up, on the I15 south, north of Escondido, when I has doing 50 mph. At least he knew he didn't have cause to pull me over, this was midday, if it was 10:30 pm, he probably would have.

Yeah, the only time that doing 35 in a 70 mph zone is a safety hazard is when some idiot decides the cars travelling at 75-80 mph in the fast lane aren't going fast enough and decides to use the right-hand lanes to pass.

Back