P.G.&E. finally hit me with EV-B

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

We've know since last year that the E9 rates from P.G.&E. were going to be replaced by the EV rates, but P.G.&E. promised to give us some warning as to when the changeover would take place. Yesterday I got a letter that essentially said "Congratulations, we converted you to EV-B as of September 7th"

On the lowest tier, the EV rates are 24% higher than E-9 (.097/kWh vs .078/kWh). On peak rates, EV goes up to .419/kWh, essentially more than the cost of gasoline. The comparable E-9 rate is .346/kWh. E-9 rates are tiered, and I rarely entered the 2nd tier and never entered the 3rd - 5th tier. EV rates are not tiered so you are paying the higher rate right off the bat. In addition, we lose two hours of off-peak rates on weekend afternoons, a time that I frequently use to recharge after running errands in the morning.

EV-B is the rate for those with a separate meter for the EV's. Installing that meter was not cheap, but there was a substantial savings with E9-B as compared to E9-A (the rate for those without a separate meter). That savings is almost entirely lost with the new EV-B and EV-A rates.

I am not complaining so much about the transition (although I don't appreciate such a large increase), but I am upset that they told me 24 days after the fact that they were raising the rates. During those 24 days I could have changed my charging habits and saved some money had I known that the new rates were going to take effect.

My NEM solar statement dated 9/17/2015 says I'm still on E-9A. I don't much care if they change me over now because now that I have two EVs, I'm probably better off on EV-A anyway - especially with the winter coming up. E-9A was only clearly cheaper in the Summer at my house. I should really run my rate comparisons on my 2015 actual usage.

Suggest you contact a local TV consumer reporter. CPUC complaint dept employees act like they work for the IOU s.

Michael Bornstein said:
We've know since last year that the E9 rates from P.G.&E. were going to be replaced by the EV rates, but P.G.&E. promised to give us some warning as to when the changeover would take place. Yesterday I got a letter that essentially said "Congratulations, we converted you to EV-B as of September 7th"

On the lowest tier, the EV rates are 24% higher than E-9 (.097/kWh vs .078/kWh). On peak rates, EV goes up to .419/kWh, essentially more than the cost of gasoline. The comparable E-9 rate is .346/kWh. E-9 rates are tiered, and I rarely entered the 2nd tier and never entered the 3rd - 5th tier. EV rates are not tiered so you are paying the higher rate right off the bat. In addition, we lose two hours of off-peak rates on weekend afternoons, a time that I frequently use to recharge after running errands in the morning.

EV-B is the rate for those with a separate meter for the EV's. Installing that meter was not cheap, but there was a substantial savings with E9-B as compared to E9-A (the rate for those without a separate meter). That savings is almost entirely lost with the new EV-B and EV-A rates.

I am not complaining so much about the transition (although I don't appreciate such a large increase), but I am upset that they told me 24 days after the fact that they were raising the rates. During those 24 days I could have changed my charging habits and saved some money had I known that the new rates were going to take effect.

Back