RAV4 EV wouldn't turn off! Climate preconditioning bug

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shikataganai

Today my RAV4 EV got stuck in a state where it wasn't fully on yet couldn't be turned off, either.

Setting: climate preconditioning turned on via Entune app. I could hear the heater whirring away as I walked up to the vehicle. I unlocked it via the driver's door handle touch pad but pulled open the rear door instead of the front in order to toss a backpack in the rear seat.

When I opened the front door and hit the power button like usual the car went into this weird state as shown in the photo: all warning lights on, HVAC working, stereo/Bluetooth working, but not ready to drive. I tried to shift to Drive but the car just beeped once and refused. What's weirder yet is that I couldn't turn the vehicle off.

IMG_4465.JPG

Hitting the power button did nothing. Holding it down did nothing. Trying to lock the car just had it yell at me even though the keyfob was in my pocket, not in the car.

I called Carson Toyota and they had no suggestions. I called Toyota Safety Connect and they had no suggestions other than to summon a flatbed. Finally I had the bright idea that this was something related to the climate preconditioning, and fired up Entune on my phone from within the malfunctioning vehicle. Not 20 seconds after trying to start climate preconditioning again via the app the car turned off, finally.

Once off in the normal manner it then turned on in the normal manner in turn, and I was able to drive it the rest of the afternoon without incident.

Weird, eh?

The vehicle is not in ready mode and the main battery contactors are not closed. This same condition can be achieved by pressing only the power button without pressing the brake pedal.

The best way to handle issues like this with the Toyota RAV4 EV is to reset the computer. That can be achieved by disconnecting the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery, wait 30 seconds, and reconnect.

Results of disconnecting the 12 volt battery.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

2) Cell phone pairings are not 100%, so I would check. i have had to delete my phone (and the car from my phone) and re-pair it

3) Map display mode changed

4) Volume of navigation voice notifications

5) Random play modes

6) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen

7) State selection from destination address page

8) GOM reset

TonyWilliams said:
The vehicle is not in ready mode and the main battery contactors are not closed. This same condition can be achieved by pressing only the power button without pressing the brake pedal.

When invoked this way is it impossible to turn the vehicle off via the power button, as I experienced?

shikataganai said:
TonyWilliams said:

When invoked this way is it impossible to turn the vehicle off via the power button, as I experienced?

Of course you can also turn the car off. There is a glitch, obviously, with your car. Reset the 12 volt battery.

miimura said:
Did you try holding the Start/Stop button down, for like 10 seconds?

Yes, I did that and it did nothing. Only thing that worked was the remote climate activation. Same thing happened this morning, with the same solution.

After that I took Tony's advice and unhooked the negative terminal for 30 seconds on the 12V battery. For what it's worth the problem didn't happen again after doing this, but then again the car acted normally on one startup before this as well.

Back