SCE TOU Rate Plan Changes

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v_traveller

For those that are on the SCE TOU-D-EV plan and are not aware of the rate plan changes, you might want to find out which rate plan they're switching you to after TOU-D-EV is retired at the end of the month. I did so and found out that they were going to automatically switch me to a TOU-D-A, which would cost me quite a bit more in the summertime than the outgoing plan. So I had them switch me to TOU-D-B, which should actually save me $40/mo to $50/mo in the summertime compared to last year.

Here's my write-up on it:
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2015/02/new-sce-time-of-use-rate-structure.html

Here's a link to SCE's info on rate plans:
https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/residential/rates/residential-plan

Has anyone else here done an analysis on the effect of the SCE TOU rate plan changes on their energy costs and find that one of the new plans actually results in lower cost? I just read through the thread on PG&E rate plan changes and how the effect of those changes result in similar or higher cost... so now I'm wondering if I made a gross miscalculation in my analysis. Seems too good to be true to have a cost reduction!

v_traveller said:
Has anyone else here done an analysis on the effect of the SCE TOU rate plan changes on their energy costs and find that one of the new plans actually results in lower cost? I just read through the thread on PG&E rate plan changes and how the effect of those changes result in similar or higher cost... so now I'm wondering if I made a gross miscalculation in my analysis. Seems too good to be true to have a cost reduction!

When I first heard of the rate change, I did a quick calculation but unfortunately my whole house energy monitor only stores hourly data for the last 90 days. Based on that data, the A option is generally about $20-25 cheaper per month (this is incorrect see below) on either winter or summer rates. Obviously this does not include our summer usage pattern, but i expect it to be closer to even between the two rate plans.

I just got a letter from SCE informing me that they will switch me to A and said that it would be about $20 per month cheaper ($184 vs $205) on average than the old D-TEV rate plan.

Edit: I just checked my calculations of A vs B, and for some reason the rates I had in my spreadsheet were off. I am guessing they had an error on their website at one point. Anyway, it looks like A vs B is breakeven for me over the last 90 days of usage. I am guessing their will be an advantage to B during the summer months. I'll have to call them and switch to B.

v_traveler, do you have Solar generation?

Since the new rates push the peak hours from 12-6pm to 2-8pm, it seems that anyone with solar might be worst off as the solar output is between 10-6pm. What it means is that when you're home from work at around 6pm, your solar is not generating (or not as much) anymore while you'd be starting to use more electricity to cook, tv, homework, etc...while at the same time you're not getting the peak rate at the 10am-2pm anymore!

For Solar self generating AND EV customers, the TOU-D no longer has Super-Off Peak rate for EVs!

While TOU-A and B pushed peaks down 2hrs where the Solar produced less!

So it seems like Solar Gen and EV customers will get SCREWED!

..of course I haven't done the spreadsheet yet, but that's how it seems...

I have both a EV and Solar and it appears that we are going to get the worst end of the deal. They told me that my bill should go down. I just don't see it. They told me that I am on plan A

I have never been able to download my data from SCE. Not being able to do a proper analysis. The rates TOU-D and TOU-A look to be a wash for me. I am going to let them put me in TOU-A and see how much on peak a get.

yblaser - Glad to hear that the new rate plan will save you $$$ and that SCE is sending out letters to folks indicating that a cost reduction is expected (I didn't get a letter). As far as getting hourly usage from last summer - have you tried getting that data from the SCE website? When I log in, there is a box at the bottom left of the web page that says "Green Button - Download My Data". I used that feature to download a year's worth of hourly usage data.

pchilds - have you tried downloading data recently? That green button thing didn't work for me when I first tried it (so I had to download the data one day at a time, quite a pain)... just tried it yesterday and it worked; asked for the data in csv format.

occ - no I don't have solar (yet!), and I thought I saw some discussion at the Telsa forum on how the new TOU-D-A and TOU-D-B plans were not a good thing for folks that self-generate... I went looking for that thread again and found it here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/40365-New-Southern-California-edison-time-of-use-rates/page3

Might be worth wading through that lengthy discussion since you have solar....

All plans seem to be worse for combined EV and solar. Super off peak is higher rate. On peak rates start later and continue into the dark of the evening.

Only benefit might be charging a Tesla 85 that takes longer than six hours.

I plan to start with TOU-A first. Hardest part will be keeping the air conditioner off from 6p to 8p in Summer.
I really need one of those Tesla/Solar City home battery systems to get from 4 pm to 10 pm.

Back