Type2 charging issues

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaute

First post in this forum
Tried to find a similar thread, but could not find any

The issue I have is that my RAV is very glitchy when it comes to charging and will only charge on some chargers, not others.
It might not start charging the first time, so I often have to turn the car on and off multiple times before it starts. Sometimes the only thing to do is to disconnect the 12V battery and let the car boot up from scratch. Sometimes it stops charging after two or three minutes. All the issues seem completely random, as it sometimes works flawlessly multiple times in a row and sometimes I can go days without being able to charge it on a Type2 charger. Charging from a 230V wall plug always works without any errors, but I don't have a wall plug near by, so that is not an option.

My hunch is that this is due to an error of the charging regulator or some other electronics and could possibly be fixed with a firmware update of some kind.

Have any of you had similar problems?

I am taking the car to an EV mechanic soon and want to give them as much information as possible, for the diagnostics.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Would I be right in thinking that you are using your own Type2 to Type1 cord when charging at public stations, but perhaps have an EVSE that adapts from the wall plug directly to the Type1 inlet on the RAV4 EV? So, you wouldn't be using the same cable when charging from the wall?

Could it be as simple as your cable going bad?

Can you arrange to test using other cables/adapters? You might also try flexing the cable to see if that causes charging to stop or start.

Last edited:
Would I be right in thinking that you are using your own Type2 to Type1 cord when charging at public stations, but perhaps have an EVSE that adapts from the wall plug directly to the Type1 inlet on the RAV4 EV? So, you wouldn't be using the same cable when charging from the wall?

Could it be as simple as your cable going bad?

Can you arrange to test using other cables/adapters? You might also try flexing the cable to see if that causes charging to stop or start.
Thanks for the reply
This is very indicative of my approach to technical issues (overthinking)
I will borrow a charging cable from a colleague and do some tests
You might have saved me a lot of money and frustration!

I had this exact problem -the rav4ev started not charging from public chargers and also from the evse that came with it. Interestingly it always charged from my Siemens evse at my house. I eventually solved the problem by buying a Jlong cable (which I needed for another reason) and found it always charges from that, I just plug that cable into the car and the public charger into it. I assume something is worn on the cars charging inlet because all of these chargers used to work with my car. So now I just leave the long cable in the back of the car

I had this exact problem -the rav4ev started not charging from public chargers and also from the evse that came with it. Interestingly it always charged from my Siemens evse at my house. I eventually solved the problem by buying a Jlong cable
If you charge at 40A, be wary of that JLong cable: Tony/QC Charge supplied "40A Max" nozzles that weren't really up to 40A. See this post with pics. Mine burnt up; OpenEVSE pointed me to QC Charge, and Tony never responded when I asked him about it.

Corrosion-resistant parts would have been nice, too :(

the most i charge at with that cord is 32A ever and 90% of the time im using the "slow" 110v charger with this car. (my Tesla uses the higher speed charger) but thanks for the caution...

Back