Upgrade for the factory supplied EVSE cord?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDJ

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=11

This company is saying they will "upgrade" the factory supplied charge cord so it will do 240 & with an adapter will also still be able to do 120??

Does this sound legit? :?:

Was thinking that it would be cool to have the cord in the trunk with this capability in case of an emergency.

Would it then be able to accept those adapters for RV parks as well.

I gotta admit I'm a Lil "remedial" when it come sto all this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes it's completely legit. They've been upgrading EVSEs for the Nissan Leaf for years with thousands of satisfied customers. I've used them 4 times with no problems (2 for my Leaf and upgraded the Rav cable and bought a 2013 Leaf cable for the Rav).

The only problem is the included EVSE is only capable of 12 amps, while the one that comes with the Leaf is capable of 20 amps. Another great option for a portable EVSE is getting a Tesla Model S Mobile Connector and putting a J1772 connector on it - that way you could charge at the full 40 amps from an RV outlet or similar. There are a couple active threads on EVSEs in here that I'd suggest you read through.

Thanks for that info. The TESLA cord is fairly pricey tho.
It also seems to be hard to get if U'r Not a T. owner.
Is that Leaf cord @ a more reasonable price point?
U can just order it from Nissan?
Cause 20 amps IS better to Have.

Is it compatible to use on the RAV?

As you can see from that linlk for the RAV upgrade it sounds like a pretty inexpensive way to go.

JDJ said:
Thanks for that info. The TESLA cord is fairly pricey tho.
It also seems to be hard to get if U'r Not a T. owner.
Is that Leaf cord @ a more reasonable price point?
U can just order it from Nissan?
Cause 20 amps IS better to Have.

Is it compatible to use on the RAV?

As you can see from that linlk for the RAV upgrade it sounds like a pretty inexpensive way to go.

My already modified by EVSEupgrade Rav4 EVSE is for sale. 100-250 volts at 12 amps only.

The Tesla cable isn't any more pricy than a Nissan one. The Nissan one will require the EVSEupgrade magic to make it possible to use 100-250 volts at 6-20 amps. You can adjust the amps manually, for both 120 volt and a separate saved setting for 240 volts. The Rav4's Tesla firmware won't allow more than 20 amps on 120 volts.

The Tesla EVSE is also 100-250 volt capable, and is also adjustable for amps by swapping the plugs. A NEMA 14-50 "RV" plug will signal 40 amps, and a regular household plug will default to 12 amps. Other plugs are available.

Back