Use of a Tesla Model S HPWC with the RAV4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swogee

I know this is a long shot but is there any way of using a Tesla Model S HPWC with a RAV4 EV? I have found some locations on plugshare that have only the Tesla Model S HPWC. I believe the HPWC is electrically compatible with the J1772 standard so all that would be needed would be an adapter. This adapter would not be for use at any Tesla supercharging sites as that would constitute theft, and it would not work anyhow.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Tony Williams is working on an adapter, I don't know when it will be available. Tony, you can put me in the list too.

pchilds said:
Tony Williams is working on an adapter, I don't know when it will be available. Tony, you can put me in the list too.
I don't think this is correct. I think I've heard him say that there is no source for the Tesla proprietary inlet, which would be required for the kind of adapter the OP is asking about.

Tony offers a modified Tesla Mobile Connector - he removes the Tesla proprietary handle and puts a J1772 handle. The other project is a CHAdeMO solution for the RAV4 EV, which is not an adapter, it is a removable modification of the car.

swogee said:
I know this is a long shot but is there any way of using a Tesla Model S HPWC with a RAV4 EV? I have found some locations on plugshare that have only the Tesla Model S HPWC. I believe the HPWC is electrically compatible with the J1772 standard so all that would be needed would be an adapter. This adapter would not be for use at any Tesla supercharging sites as that would constitute theft, and it would not work anyhow.

Any thoughts or ideas?
This makes me curious - what happens when you plug a Non-SuperCharger Model S into a SuperCharger? Does it at least give you AC flow and act like a regular HPWC or does it just sit? When I was driving in Utah and happened upon a Tesla Supercharger I recall that there were no regular HPWCs (or J1772s for that matter) within the vicinity. It would be really useful to use a SuperCharger as a HPWC (especially with a RAV-friendly adapter) but seems pretty unlikely that it would work.

I would suspect that nothing would happen at a Supercharger even if a physical adapter were used plug the Supercharger into a RAV4 EV as the RAV EV would not be able to send the proper signals/protocol to enable any sort of charging. Again there is also the issue of a non-Tesla vehicle being connected to a Supercharger which is illegal. I think there even is a phone number for Tesla owners to report illegally connected non-Tesla vehicles.

pchilds said:
No, he's built an adapter for Tesla Roadster EVSEs, since for that you can buy Tesla's Roadster to Model S adapter, chop off the Model S plug, and stick on a J1772 plug. But there's no solution for a Model S HPWC (or Supercharger, for that matter), since, as miimura pointed out, there's no source for Model S inlets.

swogee said:
I would suspect that nothing would happen at a Supercharger even if a physical adapter were used plug the Supercharger into a RAV4 EV as the RAV EV would not be able to send the proper signals/protocol to enable any sort of charging. Again there is also the issue of a non-Tesla vehicle being connected to a Supercharger which is illegal. I think there even is a phone number for Tesla owners to report illegally connected non-Tesla vehicles.
I'm actually less curious about a RAV4 using this, as making an adapter is fraught with challenges. I'm curious, from a technical standpoint, what a non-SuperCharger Model S does connected to a SuperCharger.

Part of the promise of Tesla's connector (and to a lesser extent, Frankenplug/CCS) is backwards compatibility, but it doesn't really mean anything if the L3 chargers can't be configured to also act like an EVSE in a pinch. If that's not the case, then Tesla's (and BMW, Chevy, Ford, VW, etc) argument that Tesla Connector and CCS are better because of plug consolidation is complete nonsense.

I guess we already knew that, but I never really connected the dots before.

fooljoe said:
pchilds said:
No, he's built an adapter for Tesla Roadster EVSEs, since for that you can buy Tesla's Roadster to Model S adapter, chop off the Model S plug, and stick on a J1772 plug. But there's no solution for a Model S HPWC (or Supercharger, for that matter), since, as miimura pointed out, there's no source for Model S inlets.

That's correct. I do have the "HPWC" (aka Roadster) adaptor modified to J1772. It's very handy for travel between Washington state and northern California.

The "HPC", or Model S/3/X plug adaptor is not yet available, but I have plans to build one next year.

DevinL said:
I'm actually less curious about a RAV4 using this, as making an adapter is fraught with challenges. I'm curious, from a technical standpoint, what a non-SuperCharger Model S does connected to a SuperCharger.

First, the Supercharger would send a pulse wave modulation of 6% or less (10% is 6 amps) which signals "digital communication".

Then, when the Supercharger doesn't receive an authentic Vehicle Identification Number from the car via that digital communication, the party is over.

Then, the Model S owner pulls out his credit card and pays Tesla a bunch of money and it works.

The end.

TonyWilliams said:
Then, the Model S owner pulls out his credit card and pays Tesla a bunch of money and it works.
They have also been known to do gratis single session SuperCharge enables when somebody is in a jam and would otherwise need a tow. Good opportunity for customer education...

Back