Why does hot air come out of the cabin air ducts when a/c is

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

I'm sitting here on my rav4 ev feeling warm air coming out of the air ducts in the cabin. AC is off and I have the fan on eco hi with one power bar. It is not too warm but its definitely warm when compared with the air outside. Plus I didn't drive the rav4 ev much at all today. Ive been noticing this for the past couple of weeks of ownership and at first I just threw it out as my being nuts. I definitely feel warm air coming out of the air ducts. AC off and SYNC on for passenger side not sure if that matters much. I've been camping out in my rav4 ev at night and I definitely noticed this. What is going on? Is this normal? Am I missing some sort of special setting so the air doesn't get heated as it is being pulled from outside?

cashcow said:
I'm sitting here on my rav4 ev feeling warm air coming out of the air ducts in the cabin. AC is off and I have the fan on eco hi with one power bar. It is not too warm but its definitely warm when compared with the air outside. Plus I didn't drive the rav4 ev much at all today. Ive been noticing this for the past couple of weeks of ownership and at first I just threw it out as my being nuts. I definitely feel warm air coming out of the air ducts. AC off and SYNC on for passenger side not sure if that matters much. I've been camping out in my rav4 ev at night and I definitely noticed this. What is going on? Is this normal? Am I missing some sort of special setting so the air doesn't get heated as it is being pulled from outside?
I would suggest one of two things: either a) you have the desired interior temperature set above the outside temperature and so you're engaging the heater or b) the car has been in the sun long enough that the car's body is warming the intake air blowing into the cabin.

On the first item, that's a pet peeve of mine with the RAV4 EV: not having a quick way to just get a "vent" setting (no A/C, no heat) which, unless it's really hot or cold out, is my preferred mode. Instead, you have to make sure A/C is off and hold down the temperature button to get it all the way down to "LO" so that it doesn't engage the heater.

Hi incredulocious

So you have to hit the temp butom until you reach 'Lo" otherwise the heater is actively engaged by the rav4 ev depending on what it thinks the outside temp is? Well that is new to me. With my leaf I just left it always on 80 in temp and knew the ac only got engaged if I actually turned it on. With the rav I have been cooking up unnecessarily thinking 'A/C OFF' was all I needed to do. So I really wasn't crazy and the rav4 ev was blowing hot air at night! I'll be sure to keep the temp setting on 'lo' I actually never noticed that LO before until today!

cashcow said:
Hi incredulocious

So you have to hit the temp butom until you reach 'Lo" otherwise the heater is actively engaged by the rav4 ev depending on what it thinks the outside temp is? Well that is new to me. With my leaf I just left it always on 80 in temp and knew the ac only got engaged if I actually turned it on. With the rav I have been cooking up unnecessarily thinking 'A/C OFF' was all I needed to do. So I really wasn't crazy and the rav4 ev was blowing hot air at night! I'll be sure to keep the temp setting on 'lo' I actually never noticed that LO before until today!
Yes, but... I remember this being a problem in the LEAF as well until I got that fix from "Ingineer".

Yes, just searched for it and here it is:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=6751

Without that modification, the LEAF did the same thing and turned on the heater when your HVAC temp setting was above the ambient temperature. You had to turn it all the way down to keep the heater from coming on. Ingineer provided a modification that tied heater control to the A/C button. It was wonderful! :D

UPDATE: Looking further, I see that apparently Nissan added a separate "Heat" button to the HVAC controls with the 2013 model. I had a 2011 model without that button.

Great! I have a 2013 nissan leaf so I do see the heat button on there :) much appreciate the help! It seems I am starting to come down with a sore throat of sorts :( I will have to just camp in the rav4 ev and actually set the temp to something like 75 so the early frost doesn't take its toll on me :(. Maybe the rav4 ev was protecting me all along with out knowing it! until the later hours of the day when the sun came out and roasted me out :lol: Though this sore throat had started about 3 days ago but I wasn't sure what to think of it. Well now I know!

Back