Anybody have a 3D printer?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleRav4

My canoe attacked my car. Now I need a new mirror bracket for my drivers side mirror.
The canoe was hanging in the garage, fortunately one bay over from my Rav4, and the rope broke. Yes, I should have used a bigger rope. The good news was that the mirror bracket, and my weedeater handle, were the only casualties.
So I take the Rav4 in for its 6 month service which causes quite a stir since this is the first one this dealership has seen. Michaels Toyota in Bellevue, WA. Different story but they discover that while their techs are EV certified,the dealership is not Rav4 certified. I knew this but on the phone they had assured me they could service the Rav4EV. Apparently a big problem for them but no big deal for me.
Anyway, the bad news, the mirror bracket is only sold as part of the mirror and the mirror costs $500 dollars. Except even at that price, they cannot order one because none are available.
So, has anyone broken their drivers side mirror? Did the bracket not get broken? It is just the black plastic part that connects to the door.
Alternately I found some listings for the whole mirror aftermarket but am not confident of the fit and again, only need the bracket.
Which led me to my title, anybody got a 3D printer that they could use to print one up in ABS?

These guys can print in just about any material:

http://www.shapeways.com/

Email them the model and they ship it back. A little expensive, but they do good work.

I broke the turn signal lens on the mirror and thought it would take forever to get. It was in stock at Torrance and the parts guy said that mirror is on several cars in addition to the Korean Carolla. In my case my dealer is probably 5 miles from Toyota headquarters in Torrance so that may be why it got there so quick.

I gave up and glued the 4 pieces back together. It may not be as strong as new but you cannot tell by looking at it and if it breaks again I with deal with it then.

Back