Car enthusiasts on this forum?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehelmholtz

I am curious to know whether forum members are more often interested in green tech or generally interested in cars (or both?). In other words, are there car guys and gals on here? If so, what other rides do you have?

It would also be interesting to see how many came to the Rav4 from other EVs like the EV1, 1st gen Rav4, LEAF, Fit, Focus, Volt etc...

Along with my EV, I also have a Prius PlugIN and a 2008 Solara convertible that I cannot bear to part with... and have had a few Prii. But, my favorite car was my Porsche Carrera Targa that I bought new in 1986. Wish I still had that baby! :D

I get my monthly copy of Motor Trend, but find myself less interested in these articles now that I have an EV (not much EV content in there).

Got to Rav4EV via Porsche, Xterra, Prius.. also had a Ducati for a while..

ehelmholtz said:
I am curious to know whether forum members are more often interested in green tech or generally interested in cars (or both?). In other words, are there car guys and gals on here?
Both. I'm mostly into Japanese cars as my parents' experience w/3 GM cars soured us on GM. We also had a '93 Dodge Caravan (w/Mitsubishi V6) which was actually reasonably reliable except for its transmission (no, we had 3-speed auto, not the notoriously bad 4-speed Ultradrive.)

I recently starting leasing a '13 Leaf SV to complement my 06 Prius (had since January 06), which most sits idle now. The Prius might get driven a little more now as I've been starting to put on a bit too many miles for my 12K mile/year Leaf lease. I've been a Prius enthusiast for a long time.

I'd on/off subscribed to car magazines since high school but I guess I started getting more into cars when I started shopping for a V6 midsized car to replace my 91 Camry. Ended up w/an 02 Maxima GXE in late 01. At that time, I'd also considered a new Camry V6, Accord V6, Altima V6 not very seriously and Acura TL (too much $).

I got an 04 350Z around Labor Day weekend of 03 but sold it in mid-2011 :/, instead of paying to ship it back to CA. I had planned to replace it w/a Leaf anyway.

Once I got the Maxima, I thought to myself that I could never buy a <200 hp car, but somehow that changed w/me getting a Prius.

Maybe a good future set of cars would be an EV w/a hybrid or a somewhat efficient RWD sports car (e.g. "Toyobaru").

I have a supercharged 2002 Z06 Corvette with 580 hp at the rear wheels. Also have a Shelby CSX Cobra with a 526CI fuel injected all aluminum Shelby FE engine. The Cobra pulled on the dyno 650 hp at the tires and 780 hp at the flywheel. Both are scary fast.

The Z06 is the 5th Corvette I have owned over the years along with many other big and small block Chevys.

Yeah, im a car guy! ;)

The Vette is the long distance road trip car. :)

The Cobra at the local cruise nite

The 526 Shelby aluminum EFI motor in the Cobra

BOTH!

One of the "traditions" on these type of forums is to put the cars still owned in your "signature", which appears at the bottom of everyones' posts.

Actually, I did not list my all time favorite ride in my signature. It is my motorcycle, a 2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (Special Edition); really just a "toy" I've owned since new. I seldom ride it anymore. Sportbikes are just too uncomfortable, but it is still one helleva ride! It gives me goose bumps every time. It makes an AWESOME SOUND, even 100% stock! I've owned a lot of other bikes - mostly Japanese - over the past 45 years. Around two dozen altogether, but my Triumph Daytona is by far the most satisfying if for no other reason than just to HEAR IT at full song. I've also owned a half dozen Corvettes, 3 - C4s ('89 L98 6 speed, '90 ZR-1, '96 LT4), 2 - C5s ('02 Z06 and '03 LS1), and 1 - C6, my current "play thing" ('08 Z06). I kept all these cars pretty much stock. All were really awesome performance cars capable of very high speed!

Always been a car lover, but no more gas cars after the Volt lease is up. My favorite cars were the Miatas, and I had three. Kept selling them, missing them, and buying another. Drove a friend's Tesla Roadster last week, which is like a Miata tied to a rocket sled, but I can't afford one, so I'll hold out for an electric Miata:)

The RAV4 EV is my third electric car. I was never a gearhead when I had to buy gasoline, but I really like driving electric.

My first EV was a converted '74 MGB Roadster. Somebody else converted it and I bought it used. It had a DC motor and 120v worth of golf cart batteries. About 50 miles on a charge, and quite fun to drive. I sold it right after the LEAF came out.

After that, I was fortunate enough to get a BMW Active E. It was also a fun car to drive, but it was just too small for an all-purpose car. The range was also too limited for my needs. I had to keep a second car for hauling stuff and longer distance drives.

I love the RAV4 EV. Faster than the Active E, more room, more range. I think I can finally get rid of the ICE.

1964 Chevy Impala - 3 on the tree w/overdrive - 283 V8 upgraded to 350/4 speed
1962 Chevy Biscayne - 3 on the tree - 235 six upgraded to 400 V8
1968 Chevy Camaro SS 396 - 4 speed manual
1970 1/2 Chevy Camaro - 350 - 4 speed manual w/ Ford 9" rearend
1970 Chevelle SS 454 (LS5) auto
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup 4x4 4 speed manual
1980? Chevy Chevette
1985 Chevy Camaro Z28 - 5 speed manual
1988 Volvo 740 Turbo
1989 Chevy Corvette - 350 L82 - 6 speed manual
1989 Chevy 1/2 ton short box step side pickup
1993 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 454 V8
1994 Jeep Wrangler 4 cylinder
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - LT1 - 6 speed manual
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 club cab short box Z71
2001 BMW 330 convertible
2002 BMW K1200LT motorcycle
2004 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 Duramax diesel short box
2011 LEAF
2012 LEAF
2012 Rav4 EV

Numerous motorcycles, airplanes and I used to race motocross (still do, very infrequently).

My Rav4 EV is my first EV. I plan to always have an EV after this, though you never know what technology will bring. I've wanted one for a while, but the ranges never worked for me. But with a 140 mile range, this car is great.

I also have a '60 Porsche 356 Cab which I restored. http://www.356.org
It's an ICE but such a pretty one that I can't say goodbye.
20070817_concorso_italiano_01.jpg

SeaMonster said:
My Rav4 EV is my first EV. I plan to always have an EV after this, though you never know what technology will bring. I've wanted one for a while, but the ranges never worked for me. But with a 140 mile range, this car is great.

I also have a '60 Porsche 356 Cab which I restored. http://www.356.org
It's an ICE but such a pretty one that I can't say goodbye.

Wasn't there one of those that was an electric conversion in the movie Revenge of the Electric Car?

http://krissmotors.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-is-replica.html

TonyWilliams said:
Wasn't there one of those that was an electric conversion in the movie Revenge of the Electric Car?

http://krissmotors.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-is-replica.html
That's great. That site shows a total replica, but it gets ya thinking... It would be fun to consider putting an electric drive in the Porsche. I'm thinking how cool it would be to work in a Rav4 Tesla engine and make the Porsche faster and more reliable. But alas, I'd miss the pleasure of shifting and having an engine that needs to warm up and is unreliable. Part of my love for this car is that I have to be patient, slow down and actually take care of her. Not so great for a daily driver, but a wonderful way to hit wine country on a sunny weekend. Nonetheless, it gets me thinking... Maybe one day...

Thanks for posting that!

I enjoy the photos of various fun cars. Here's a photo of my weekend roadster - a gas guzzler but still fun!
Z4.JPG

Yup. Im only 33 so I havent had access to all of the classics like Tony. One of my friends in highschool had a 65 mustang fastback which is still one of my favorite cars of all time. Another had a 57 chevy bel air. I had an 88 Mustang that I drag raced. Dual stage nitrous, posi traction, airbags, launch control, and cold air intake. 11 second quarter mile and I was 18. :)

Another one of my all time favorite cars was my 2000 Honda S2000. That car was so much fun to drive! I racked on the miles pretty quickly with that car.

There were some others but those were my favorites. I also had a 76 Jaguar XJ6L, 04 Tundra, 08 Prius, and a 12 PIP that I still own.

I'm both.
1949 Ford (rattle trap)
1957 Chevy V8, Stick, Black, Bored, cam and solid lifters
1963 Vette 340hp, 4 speed, 411 positraction, red, split rear window (first new car)
1967 Porsche 912, 5 speed, green
1969 Ford Cortina GT (wife's)
1976 Honda Civic wagon, 4 speed, yellow (married and saving for house)
1978 Chevy half ton diesel pick-up, short bed, automatic (yuck) (adios Cortina)
1981 Toyota 4wd pick-up, 5 speed, long bed
1985 Volvo 740 wagon, 4 speed w/overdrive
1987 Toyota 4wd van, 5 speed
1991 Ford F250 diesel, 5 speed, 4wd, reg cab long bed
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4wd, reg cab, long bed (great truck)
2011 LEAF (thought it was good until I got the RAV4 EV)
2014 RAV4 EV (I think it's my favorite)

All new except the first two and Cortina my exwife had before we were married.

I learned to drive on a 1997 BMW Z3 and a 2001 Jaguar XJ8-L and have been an avid Top Gear fan for ages.

My fairly unexciting car history has been...
2005 Hyundai Elantra GT Hatchback
2007 Toyota Prius Touring
2011 Nissan LEAF SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

I've always liked little sports cars like the Miata/MX-5, Toyota 86, Alfa Spyder, etc. And on the opposite side of the spectrum I like proper off-road SUVs like the Land Rover Defender, Land Cruiser, Pajero, etc. When I have more money and time than I know what to do with (i.e. way in the future) I want to get an old Defender to restore. Also, the availability of cheap, RHD, grey market Pajeros in Canada will be a temptation after the move.

drmanny3 said:
How do you post pictures on this forum?
When you are editing the message, touch the Img button. Between the tags, put your URL to the image. I use Photobucket to host my forum images because it's free and they allow direct linking.

Yes I am also somewhat of a car guy. This is my current garage queen, a 2001 NSX-T that I purchased new and have over time upgraded. It now has Coilovers, Headers and Exhaust, two piece brake rotors, Comptech Supercharger, newer OEM Wheels, and other lessor items that make it look really good. I used to track it but found that too harsh on the car. It is running mostly stock with almost 400 hp at the crank. I had an earlier 1991 NSX for about five years before moving to a number of different cars. I finally came back to the NSX because it handles so well and seems timeless in design. I have also had Corvettes, a Austin Healy, MGs, Porsche 911, Lexus GS 400, Q45A to mention a few other cars.

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/u...ny3/NSX Pics/P1010048 2_zpsdvavawyv.jpg[/img][/url]Yes I am also somewhat of a car guy. [URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/u...anny3/NSX Pics/P1010050_zpsbdzpphnh.jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/u...ny3/NSX Pics/P1010049 2_zps6fypx4zv.jpg[/img][/url]

Back