HELP! Charging Issue - NOT Cables and probably not Battery

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts on what we're seeing here? I drove to work this morning without issue, but arrived with 13 miles of range left. 🙃

In the last screenshot you posted, where the charger proximity status is shown as 'CHG_PROXIMITY_DISCONNECTED' - was this taken immediately after charging stopped, or had you also unplugged the J1772 connector and then took a screenshot?

For as quickly as charging is ending, I would plug in again and monitor TPD to confirm that charging is taking place (watch HV battery voltage and current) and try see what is displayed immediately before the contactors open and charging is stopped.

In the last screenshot you posted, where the charger proximity status is shown as 'CHG_PROXIMITY_DISCONNECTED' - was this taken immediately after charging stopped, or had you also unplugged the J1772 connector and then took a screenshot?

For as quickly as charging is ending, I would plug in again and monitor TPD to confirm that charging is taking place (watch HV battery voltage and current) and try see what is displayed immediately before the contactors open and charging is stopped.
I don't know the exact sequence, my wife was helping me plug and unplug the charger during the test. I'm limping to work on 15 miles of range, I will test again tonight and watch for this.

Any thoughts on what we're seeing here? I drove to work this morning without issue, but arrived with 13 miles of range left. 🙃
Having the TPD diagnostic program, you can easily determine the level of degradation or SOH of HV battery as shown in

In addition, using your phone you can analyze the cells voltages during charging

Last edited:
Something crazy happened yesterday. The car was still charging on the slow OEM charger when I came out from work! I had 7 bars for the first time in a couple of months!

Tempering my joy, however, was the presence of that ominous and intermittent error message: “Have vehicle serviced by a dealership immediately.”

I currrntly have 50 miles of range. Part of me wants to believe that the rav4 has finally adjusted to the new 12v battery and is magically fixed. Another part of me wonders if this isn’t just temporary and wonders which of the many variables in charging length and circumstance caused the issue and might cause it again.

I plan to hook up the cable and run the Tesla diagnostic while charging the next time. Will post results again here, but I would welcome thoughts on the current improved situation.

So it looks like after a 48 hour chronological and 30 mile distance delay, replacing the 12v battery (and cleaning corroded terminals) have fixed my issue. No more range problems, no more error messages. I can’t believe it!

Now I’m afraid of keeping it since based on this experience, if one of these components were really to break, there would be no one within 200 miles to help me. Thinking of selling for that reason alone, although I love this vehicle and everything it stands for.

Now I’m afraid of keeping it since based on this experience, if one of these components were really to break, there would be no one within 200 miles to help me.
That's an accurate assessment of owning a GEN2 RAV4 EV ten years on and out of warranty: you are on your own, the parts are scarce, and Toyota and Tesla will either actively push you away or quote sums of money that do the same.

The cars have become hobby-status.

Back