RAV4 EV dead DC 12V battery

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-Orange

Hello everyone,

I’m first time here, just found everybody when I searched for resolving the issue with my 2014 rav4ev. I hope someone would be able to help with any advice. Here’s my story: I got it 7 months ago at 83k mileage, and it was running great. Couple weeks ago, it was flashing the ev error dealer check up message couple times, on and off. Suddenly, it stopped running, lost power from the hv battery. I towed it to Toyota dealer. They gave me a bill and the BMS-f073, which is hv battery malfunction. Their recommendation was to replace the battery at a cost of 20k. I took it home, and I’ve been searching for a resolution with the car. My initial attempt was checking the dc 12v battery, it’s certainly a bad one. I can’t believe that the Toyota technician couldn’t find it. I replace the battery with the Costco group size 35, but the car still has same problem and error message. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

The most likely problem is the battery contactors in the battery pack. Toyota won't open the pack to replace them. One way to confirm this diagnosis is to listen when you start the car. You should hear the familiar click/thunk when you turn it on and the READY indicator comes on the dash. If the contactors have failed, I believe the READY indicator will flash and then go out. However, it's never happened to me so I'm not completely sure about that.

The best known place to do this repair is Quick Charge Power in San Diego County. There are other EV shops in LA/OC, but I don't know of any that are known to do this specific repair.

Good Luck.

QC Charge (Quick Charge Power) did mine. I think it was $2500. Those guys are great. They have RAV4s there from all over the country. They're in the Vista San Marcos area of San Diego County. Your 20K estimate seems low. Toyota estimated mine at 30k and couldn't get the part.

Video about the cause of the BMS_f073 of the fault code and how to check its culprit

In such a malfunction, the self-test of their performance (which Tesla calls the pre-charge state) ends with the result of NG and the system does not turn them on.
The cost of a pair of TE contactors is less than $300

Thank you very much for your quick responses, Miimura, Davebb, and Alflash. My hands were tight for the past couple weeks so I'm so sorry for my late response. I think your suggestion is correct Miimura, the contactors most likely went out on my car. I don't hear any sound and the Ready mode flashing. I'll try to find a way to deal with it for the next couple weeks. Thanks so much for your helps everyone.

Thank you very much for your quick responses, Miimura, Davebb, and Alflash. My hands were tight for the past couple weeks so I'm so sorry for my late response. I think your suggestion is correct Miimura, the contactors most likely went out on my car. I don't hear any sound and the Ready mode flashing. I'll try to find a way to deal with it for the next couple weeks. Thanks so much for your helps everyone.
Hope this will be actual
https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/bms_f073.png
bms_f073.png

Dealer workers checked the "Contactor" fuse?
https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/pump_contactor_fuse.jpg
pump_contactor_fuse.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Alflash, I did check all the fuses before posting. I think the problem most likely be dead contactors. I'm currently looking for the replacements but they are hard to find, crossing my fingers. Thanks again and have a wonderful day Alflash.

Hello all, new here. New to me car that is currently at the mechanic with the same issue. Turns on with a click, ready light flashes and then goes away, car doesn’t shift into drive or reverse.
Mechanic did check all the fuses AND has checked the speed sensor which is dry.
The links to the contactor part all say they are not available (stock 0). What is your strategy Mike-Orange for getting these parts? Salvage?

Thank you very much Alflash and Hokiematt! Updating my Rav4ev's situation: I ordered the contactors and have them replaced. The car runs smoothly as it suppose to. However, the EV error doesn't go away. I don't know if it'll automatically cleared by itself or not. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help everyone!
Hi eoak23, I ordered the contactors from EV West with the provided link from Hokiematt, they work perfectly.

. . . the EV error doesn't go away. I don't know if it'll automatically cleared by itself or not.
Have you attempted to clear it using TPD? I don't have any experience clearing that fault using TPD, but I'm certain others will chime in here.

If you don't have TPD installed yet, then you probably don't have the cable to use it, either. I can help with that.

The previous version of TPD (1.1.42) had a button specifically to clear fault BMS_w023: 'HV battery detected possible damage to contactors'. The newest version (1.1.46) of TPD appears to have dropped that particular functionality.

I would suggest disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes to see if that resets the fault. If not, then you might need to get access to the previous version of TPD to clear it (assuming that is indeed the fault you are experiencing).

Yes, they are different: BMS_f073: 'HV battery detected unexpected HV bus behavior'

I'm assuming the button to clear the BMS_w023 warning was designed for easy ability to clear that code after contactor replacement. I do not know how the system determines whether to set either of these codes, or when it might potentially clear them after the issue is resolved. I'll speculate that perhaps the w023 code is triggered by excessive voltage drop across either contactor, and that f073 might be a result of contactors failing to open when requested.

The previous version of TPD (1.1.42) had a button specifically to clear fault BMS_w023: 'HV battery detected possible damage to contactors'. The newest version (1.1.46) of TPD appears to have dropped that particular functionality.
100%

Do you know the meaning/essence/content of the Battery Serial 01÷13 parameters?
https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/1.1.46b.png

Last edited:
Back