Roof rack and running boards

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan

New owner here about to complete my first week. I am very interested in getting a roof rack and running boards.

I wonder if the roof rack or running boards will have a significant to impact on drag.

Also, can I use the roof racks and running boards from the 2006-2011 Rav4 ICE model. The dealership doesn't show those accessories for the EV so I am wondering if they can't be installed because they aren't compatible or won't fit due to minor body changes.

Congrats on your RAV4EV!

Roof rack will definitely impact your vehicle's drag, which is why Toyota took it out. Depending on what you're mounting, you may look into installing a hitch if that works for you.

I'm looking for some running boards too, but haven't settled on any that I particularly like. I think I need to see some different choices in person instead of perusing off the 'net.

I am no fluid dynamics expert but I dont see a roof rack having much impact on drag. Even the cross bars wouldnt affect drag and they are usually aerodynamic.

Its very hard to guess at a loss of mileage but I am going to guess its less than 1%

I too want running boards and the roof rack, I don't really care if it increases drag and reduces my range a bit since the range is plenty for me.

I looked around at pictures available on the net and decided on the Westin 27-6115 black running boards. You also need to buy a mounting kit 27-1705. The installation directions from Westin are terrible. You can download them from their website and see what I mean. I called Westin to ask for some installation pictures or a better description. I didn't get any return e-mail or phone calls, so one day I decided to just see what I could make heads or tails of.

First of all, the battery and the way that it is mounted to the bottom of the car will make it a challenge to mount most running boards. There is a very thick black aluminum extrusion that runs the length of the battery and extends out to the side edges of the car and this covers up or uses some of the holes that most of the running boards will want to mount. For the Westin running boards, I have found a way to make it work, but I need extra mounting hardware. I could buy another $100 mounting kit (to get 4 parts from it) or contact Westin. So far working with Westin hasn't been very good and I spoke to someone and they took my information but they haven't called me back yet. I may just return the whole thing and give up. I'm frustrated by how lame Westin's support is.

Follow-up. After writing the last post I decided to call Westin again. I spoke to the same supervisor (Penny) and she apologized that the warehouse people didn't get back to her and thus she didn't get back to me. She's going to send me the extra parts that I need to get the running boards mounted to the car. So I guess if you can get to the right person, Westin's customer service is pretty good after all :).

Madcow, this information is valuable. I am ready to pull the trigger on the same running boards you got:

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-27-6115-Aluminum-Boards-Trucks/dp/B000BNS89G/ref=au_pf_ss_1?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=RAV4%7C1032&Year=2010%7C2010&carId=002&n=15684181&s=automotive

Or possibly the polished aluminum ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-27-6610-Polished-Aluminum-Board/dp/B002V0NG0I/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=RAV4%7C1032&Year=2010%7C2010&carId=002&n=15684181&s=automotive

I am concerned about having to purchase additional mounting hardware especially if I have to buy a whole new kit (~$100) for just a part or two.

Can you provide additional information on the installation. How long it took? did you need a hoist?
Heres the installation guide with part numbers 1-11. Can you specify which additional parts you needed.
http://westinautomotive.com/applicationchart/pdf/75-0715.pdf

I wonder if Penny will be cool with including extra parts if I contact her before I order, Although, I plan on ordering from Amazon.

Finally, what do you think of polished look on the white color. I am not sure if I should go with black or polished aluminum.

This is my running board.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8317976@N05/9396011697/

I'm going to post this information in the hopes that it helps others who are trying to make decisions about running boards.

Ok, so if you look at the instructions, it's a little difficult to understand what they want you to do without looking at the bottom of your car. Even then I found it difficult and had to look at a friend's 2010 RAV4 to see what it looks like without the massive battery and aluminum extrusions.

The Westin running board mount is designed to have 3 brackets: front, middle (which is actually closer to the back) and back. There are 2 large oval rubber stoppers under the car, one towards the front and one towards the back (so front one is behind the front wheel well and the back one is in front of the rear wheel well). The brackets are designed so that the front and middle bracket are held in place by a bolt that gets positioned by using a long metal rod that is welded to the bolt. This is so that you can put it up through the oval hole, and use the thin metal rod to position the bolt to come out through another hole that is covered on our car by the aluminum extrusion that is protecting/holding the battery and on the normal RAV4 by some tape and undercoating. The holes that these bolts are supposed to come out of are not visible at all for us. The front and middle brackets also have these metal plates that are used to clamp down to the pinch welds. I looked at where these were supposed to be mounted and in order to use the existing brackets as designed, it would involve a lot of cutting of the extruded aluminum battery mounts and there was no way I was going to do that.

The rear bracket is different. It is only supported by a bolt that is welded onto a short narrow metal plate that fits into the oval hole. I tried to put the rear mount on and I found that it would only work if I put that last bolt in backwards with the short narrow metal plate facing backwards and putting the passenger side rear bracket on the driver's side. I then took the other bolt with the short narrow metal plate and put it in the front oval hole and bolted the driver's side rear bracket to this bolt. I also needed to temporarily remove some aerodynamic plastic shielding (a slit will need to be cut into this for permanent mounting of the front bracket). Doing it this way, I know the brackets are at the correct height that they are supposed to be. I tightened the brackets down and then dry fit the running board. Since the original design used 3 brackets and this method would only have 2, I think there is the potential for the running boards to sag if a really heavy person were to stand in the middle (not sure what the max rated load is, but I'm sure it was rated with 3 brackets). Since I'm putting the running boards on to help my 6 and 3 year olds get into the car, I'm not worried about the weight. The running boards feel solid and I'm sure they would support my weight (200 lbs) in the middle, but I wouldn't be jumping up and down.

Basically if you look at the installation instructions for the brackets, I figured out that I could put both of these on if I had 2 more of part #11 and 1 more each of parts #6 and #7.

There is another member, dark, that posted pictures of his RAV4 EV with beautiful 20" wheels. He bought some other brand of running boards and he also said that he had to modify his brackets to make them work. I asked him to send me pictures. For his running boards, he used his brackets (not Westin) and had to cut the back part of the metal brackets off, and put bolts through the round holes that are currently in the bottom of the rocker panels that have small round rubber plugs in them. I think that brand of mounts either chose that position to mount the running boards or he adapted the brackets to use those holes. The one thing that I noticed was that the height of the running boards was relatively high, with the top of the running boards being just below the bottom edges of the doors. The position of the Westin running boards is much lower, with the top of the running board is about even with the bottom of the rocker panel.

Since I didn't have the extra parts, I took it all off when I was done with the dry fitting and I put everything back in the box. I'm waiting for them to send me the extra parts before I permanently mount this, since I would only be able to put one side on. I think it will take me only 15 minutes per side to put the brackets on. It'll probably take another 15 minutes to put the notches in the aerodynamic shielding, and just a few minutes to put the running boards on top of the brackets and tighten them down. I didn't need to jack up the car at all (but this process did make me realize that we don't even have a jack with the car) and I just put down a carpet remnant so I could lay on my back while looking for the holes and fitting the brackets.

In terms of the look between the brushed aluminum and black I decided to go with the black for 2 reasons. First of all, the running boards on my land rover were all black and I liked that look. Secondly, the black running boards were cheaper. I ordered both of these on Amazon and they were shipped to me for free.

I'm currently away on travel and I hope that the additional parts are there next week when I return. I will complete the installation as soon as the parts arrive and I will try to take some pictures as I go.

I wanted to also comment on a few things about the effects of adding running boards, and or roof racks. Adding additional components that will be in the airstream will certainly add drag, no matter how well or aerodynamic they are. If there is any frontal surface area, then there will be drag. However, drag shouldn't be the only concern. I watched several of the videos that Toyota posted with the designers/engineers that worked on this car and they explicitly stated that they removed the roof racks and other items because they wanted to save WEIGHT. As it is, I think the car still weighs about 400 lbs more than the equivalent RAV4. This extra weight is something that the power train has to move around all the time, where as the drag only starts to be a major consideration as the speed increases. With all that being said, I added mud flaps, will be adding running boards, a hitch, and probably the roof racks. Even if this decreases my range by 10% (which I hardly doubt it would do since most of my driving will be less than 45 MPH), I would be ok with this since my situation doesn't require me to have long range. That's just my $.02.

I have the running boards installed on my EV "WITHOUT" making any modifications to the brackets...they fit perfectly without touching the battery cover below your SUV.

It is actually a pretty nice one...almost similar to the dealer installed ones on the X5 and MDX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-07-12-Toyota-RAV4-OE-Factory-Style-Side-Step-Nerf-Bar-Running-Board-/300944047176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3ARAV4&hash=item4611a9bc48&vxp=mtr

Took me less than 30 minutes to install...not sure how to attach pictures here but I have them.

As for the roof rack, I have it installed too and yes they are the same OEM ones for the regular RAV4 2006-2012. There are 4 little black plastic covers at the corners of the vehicle roof/top with an triangular arrow indicator on each (push towards that direction and lift up the cover). Underneath the cover have two bolts at each location (4 corners). Just remove them and install the rack on the pre-drilled holes. I would recommend not to buy it from the dealership because they are super expensive. Try eBay or Amazon for half the price and OEM quality.

Wintsnowride said:
As for the roof rack, I have it installed too and yes they are the same OEM ones for the regular RAV4 2006-2012. There are 4 little black plastic covers at the corners of the vehicle roof/top with an triangular arrow indicator on each (push towards that direction and lift up the cover). Underneath the cover have two bolts at each location (4 corners). Just remove them and install the rack on the pre-drilled holes. I would recommend not to buy it from the dealership because they are super expensive. Try eBay or Amazon for half the price and OEM quality.

I found reviews saying that those aftermarket ones on ebay and amazon are plasticky and low quality. I ended up ordering mine from Ebay for 75 dollars and crossbard (OEM) for 60. I did see someone selling OEM complete (roof rails + cross bars) for 250 which I felt was a little too expensive for used.

Did you find the quality to be low? will they last 10 years? I may return mine once they arrive and go for the OEM if I find them too plasticky.

Actually, I want to say the racks I got looks exactly like the OEM one and not plasticky at all. They are actually pretty strong and all aluminum. I guess it depends on who you buy it from as eBay just like auto part stores have different grades of items.

Credit goes to Allen (Wintsnowride) for providing these pics of his running boards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-07-12-Toyota-RAV4-OE-Factory-Style-Side-Step-Nerf-Bar-Running-Board-/300944047176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3ARAV4&hash=item4611a9bc48&vxp=mtr

So is it possible to get pictures of how these running boards are mounted? That's a pretty critical piece of information that is equally as important as how good these look.

Conan, thank you for posting the pictures.

Madcow, I didn't take pictures while I was installing them but can walk you through if you like. These are 100% fit with no modification required as if they are made specifically for the EV. Here is the direct link to the ebay post I purchase the product from (he also used my pictures for his post).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300948443262?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D300948443262%26_rdc%3D1

There are some pictures of the brackets on the ebay listing above, and the seller can also send you a picture of the installation instructions with your request so you can see how simple it is to install.

Basically, there are 4 brackets that fits perfectly to the underside of the front and back of the vehicle between your front and rear tires. They do not touch the metal battery cover at the bottom of your vehicle at all. Just use the existing chassis holes at the bottom of the vehicle (remove the little black round plastic covers), install the mounting hardware with the brackets, and then sits the running boards on top of the brackets with screws tightened at the bottom of the running board to the brackets.

That's it!

Those are nice looking boards. I think I will pick up a pair. While on eBay, here's one for you guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PERFORMANCE-CHIP-GAS-SAVER-ALL-TOYOTA-VEHICLES-TRUCKS-CARS-SUV-POWER-/231032297696?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARAV4%7CSubmodel%3AEV%7CYear%3A2012&hash=item35ca9918e0&vxp=mtr

Amazingly, "This part is compatible with 1 vehicle(s) matching 2012 RAV4 EV."

and ...

"GET THE BEST PERFORMANCE OUT OF YOUR VEHICLES ENGINE!!!
WITH A RESISTOR!!

BELEIVE IT OR NOT, IT WORKS AND I GUARANTEE IT!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wintsnowride said:
Conan, thank you for posting the pictures.

Madcow, I didn't take pictures while I was installing them but can walk you through if you like. These are 100% fit with no modification required as if they are made specifically for the EV. Here is the direct link to the ebay post I purchase the product from (he also used my pictures for his post).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300948443262?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D300948443262%26_rdc%3D1

There are some pictures of the brackets on the ebay listing above, and the seller can also send you a picture of the installation instructions with your request so you can see how simple it is to install.

Basically, there are 4 brackets that fits perfectly to the underside of the front and back of the vehicle between your front and rear tires. They do not touch the metal battery cover at the bottom of your vehicle at all. Just use the existing chassis holes at the bottom of the vehicle (remove the little black round plastic covers), install the mounting hardware with the brackets, and then sits the running boards on top of the brackets with screws tightened at the bottom of the running board to the brackets.

That's it!

Is there any way to just take pictures underneath the running boards to see the mounts attached to the car? No need to have pictures of the installation process, just the finished product. Thanks.

It also looks like you have 2 sets on horizontal door protectors on your car. Both of these look different than the OME version so others might want some info on those if they prefer the way those look instead.

I called and spoke to penny from Westin in regards to the running boards that require additional parts.

She said that the parts sent to Wintsnowride was a one time courtesy and she would look into a standardized method to allow anyone else to order these additional parts at a cost. She will get back to me on Monday

Unfortunately, to me this is borderline crappy customer service. I will give her a chance and see what the cost will be. Anything more than 10 dollars is a deal breaker for me. I will most likely go with these:

for 180 bucks (all inclusive with mounting kit) vs the westin ones which are 320 with mounting kits.

I am getting them for looks so if theres a slight difference in quality then it wont be much of an issue for me.

Madcow, I didn't like the OEM bodyside moldings/door protectors because they are way to wide and big, which actually looks a big ugly because it stands out a lot so I decided to go with the thin one, which Daytona Toyota (I don't see their post anymore but another dealership has the same part) in Florida claimed it is also an OEM Toyota part. You can contact them directly or through ebay (Clearwater Toyota, FL posting): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2013-Toyota-Rav-4-Body-Side-Moulding-070-Blizzard-Pearl-00016-42018-10-/140973048439?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARAV4&hash=item20d2a60277&vxp=mtr

The chrome accent I got was from http://www.carid.com/2010-toyota-rav4-chrome-accessories/body-side-molding-4087620.html

Conan, if it doesn't work out with Westin then just get the one I have. You will noticed how easy it is to install without any modifications, and the quality is actually pretty good. I had a few people asking about it locally when I was driving around.

Back