Roof rack and running boards

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wintsnowride said:
Conan, if it doesn't work out with Westin then just get the one I have. You will noticed how easy it is to install without any modifications, and the quality is actually pretty good. I had a few people asking about it locally when I was driving around.

Winstonwride, I did order the same ones you have. I am going to probably return the Westin running boards. I will wait to see them together first.

I got the parts from Westin and I installed the running boards this weekend. I love the way it looks. I also clay bared the entire car this weekend and waxed it. The running boards made it much easier to work on the roof, but without the roof racks, I didn't have anything to grab on up there. Looks like I'll be searching for roof racks soon.

I'll try to get some pictures posted.

Another question, has anyone had parking sensors installed? My wife is used to them with her minivan and so I thought it might be wise to have some installed on the RAV4. I got a quote from the company that installs them for the Toyota dealer here and they want $732 for front and rear (only includes 2 sensors in the front and 2 in the back). The hardware that they use is EchoMaster. Anybody have an experience with aftermarket parking sensors?

I spoke to Penny.

Westin will not provide the additional parts required for this running board (they are making an exception for me but no other Rav4ev owners):
http://www.amazon.com/Westin-27-6610-Polished-Aluminum-Board/dp/B002V0NG0I/?tag=myelecarfor-20&/ref=au_pf_ss_2?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota%7C76&Model=RAV4%7C1032&Year=2010%7C2010&carId=002&n=15684181&s=automotive

I have purchased this one too from ebay but decided to go with the Westin running boards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-07-12-Toyota-RAV4-OE-Factory-Style-Side-Step-Nerf-Bar-Running-Board-/300944047176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3ARAV4&hash=item4611a9bc48&vxp=mtr

If anyone is interested in the running boards I purchased from ebay but no longer want let me know. We can figure it out. They ship from China so returning them is going to cost me. Id rather sell them to a board member. I am located in San Diego if anyone is interested in seeing them in person.

madcow said:
Another question, has anyone had parking sensors installed? My wife is used to them with her minivan and so I thought it might be wise to have some installed on the RAV4. I got a quote from the company that installs them for the Toyota dealer here and they want $732 for front and rear (only includes 2 sensors in the front and 2 in the back). The hardware that they use is EchoMaster. Anybody have an experience with aftermarket parking sensors?

did you ever get any reply on this subject?? I want to do this as well but $700 would be too much.

Gene

Gene, I never got a reply on this, but I'm also active on the forums on www.rav4world.com. There are many discussions on that forum on parking sensors. Most people there have just gone the route of buying something cheap on ebay. The EchoMaster system looks pretty good, but I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money. Of course, $700 is probably cheaper than running into something. EchoMaster makes a kit that is designed for the RAV4. The difference is that it comes with spacers that adjust the angle of the sensors. At least on the 2012 body style, the back bumper of the car has a serious sloping angle and any sensors mounted on this area would just point at the ground and the sensors wouldn't work. Most people get around this by putting the sensors in the area at the very top of the bumper. On my car, and on the pictures that I've seen from others that have done this, they put the reverse sensors in the black area that is mostly vertical (looks like a bumper protector, but it's just a black molded part of the bumper). Here's a link to the best forum post on the other site:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/90296-8-sensor-park-assist-led-display.html

If you do it that way, then you don't really need the special RAV4 kit with the angled spacers. One things that I really like about the EchoMaster system thought, is they have an add on that displays which sensor is beeping that gets overlaid on the reverse camera screen. I called them and they said it's about 2 months from being ready. If that could work, I think I'd spend the money and buy that system. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna install it myself or have someone do it.

Not interested in the hitch mounted sensor. I want something permanent and I also will have a bike rack attached to my hitch. I'll have to see what this all looks like after I get the hitch installed in 2 weeks to see if it would interfere with the parking sensors. On my Land Rover, when I had the bike rack on the hitch the parking sensors were useless.

Wintsnowride said:
As for the roof rack, I have it installed too and yes they are the same OEM ones for the regular RAV4 2006-2012. There are 4 little black plastic covers at the corners of the vehicle roof/top with an triangular arrow indicator on each (push towards that direction and lift up the cover). Underneath the cover have two bolts at each location (4 corners). Just remove them and install the rack on the pre-drilled holes. I would recommend not to buy it from the dealership because they are super expensive. Try eBay or Amazon for half the price and OEM quality.

I assume the 2013 side rails won't work, but what about the 2013 crossbars (with the earlier side rails)?

I'm new here and confused about something. I think I've read that the RAV4 EV is based on the previous generation of the ICE RAV4, is this correct? I just leased a 2014 and I'm not sure if I should buy roof rails for the '14 or perhaps the '12? I'm looking at these from Amazon.

Thanks!
-Bill

Can anyone tell me the weight of the running boards?

I like the bolt on model with no mods need versions.

thanks.

Back