Temperature Gauge

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBill

Installed temperature gauge to show temperature of motor/inverter coolant. Typical temperature when driving, so far, ranges from 2 degrees F above outside temperature (high 60's outside) to 25 degrees above outside temperature (80's outside) -- depends on outside temperature and if on freeway or stop and go traffic. Highest temperatures are when charging, goes up to 137 degrees F and then fan turns on, bringing temperature down to 117 degrees F and fan shuts off. Cycle of up to 137 and back to 117 continues while charging.

IMG_0603_zpsa0659c07.jpg

EVBill,

that is so cool, I always wonder how HOT the car runs since I can hear the fan spanning and at times it sounded like an ICE car.

How about the battery temperature? are you able to get the reading as well?

Can you show us how you did it? I wanted one too.

EVBill,
I like what you have done with the temp gauge. Great job!!!
Would you you happen to have any instructions/pics that you took along the way ?

I'm curious... How often does the fan cycle on/off for others? I'm in LA and will often pick up additional daytime charges during the weekend (I wouldn't necessarily notice anything at night). Over the past several months we've had some warm days, and while the pump cycles on and off, I've NEVER observed the fan coming on (unless the car was also on). Thoughts?

I decided not to do a temperature gauge for the battery coolant because I didn't notice much of a temperature change at the coolant container or coolant hose when checking it by touch. Seemed to get lukewarm at best. However, you could use the same approach as I did for that as well (I cut the hose and put an inline temperature sensor in). You could even have two temperature sensors, one for each coolant, and a switch to toggle the gauge on the dash.

I'll put some instructions together of what I did and post it in the next few days.

My very rough estimate of how often the fan comes on is about every 20 minutes with the garage temperature in the high 70s to 80s. Fan maybe stays on for about 5 minutes, it brings the temperature down pretty quick.

Below is a summary of the steps I took to install the temperature gauge, follow at your own risk as I don't take any responsibility for any damage or mishaps that could occur by following these. My mention of the Autometer products is not meant as any type of endorsement, there are other products out there that do the same job.

First step was to cut the coolant hose and install a Autometer heater hose adapter for 3/4" hose (the temperature sensor screws into the adapter). I used a hobby knife that was pretty sharp with small teeth, you want something to quickly cut thru the hose. Upon cutting the hose I put a clean plastic plug in the left piece to keep from losing too much coolant, while I installed the adapter into the hose to the right. The temperature sensor came with the Autometer dash gauge, The temperature sensor screws into the adapter, I used thread seal tape. The photo below shows the adapter on the left with the sensor screwed in, second photo is a closer shot. Following the hose to the far right you can see the black inline adapter and sensor that Toyota used.
IMG_0616_zpsbcbe771f.jpg

IMG_0618_zps84169a19.jpg

Be sure to top off the coolant to replace what was lost when cutting the hose, using a clean funnel. It requires a special coolant, G48, see manual. To get this I went to the dealership near where I worked, the parts guy brought out two different coolants that were for ICE vehicles (one was even blue but not G48). I gave up and stopped by Carson Toyota which I pass on the way home from work. The person at the counter knew what I was talking about when referring to the G48 fluid, he had to order it and it took a few days but he said they ordered a whole case to prepare for future needs. Photo below is the G48 coolant from the Carson dealer, note the Tesla label!
IMG_0665_zpsc039ecd1.jpg

Next step was to get the sensor wires inside the car. The photo below shows the top of the wiring harness that goes thru the firewall, it is located on the far right side. Just to the right of the wiring harness you can see a white plastic tube. That is what I installed to get the sensor wires thru, it is a hollow plastic tube from an old kite that I had. The interior diameter is just large enough to slide the two sensor wires thru after pushing the plastic tube thru from the interior (drivers side under dash near the floor), second photo below. I picked a spot just under the wiring harness to push it thru.

IMG_0624_zpsf9d87e3c.jpg

IMG_0659_zps2582f630.jpg

In order to get to the plastic tube from the exterior side of the firewall you will need to remove the large plastic piece that goes around the base of the windshield wipers and across the front. Windshield wipers must come off first, take the metal cap off using your fingers, take the nut off and wiggle the wiper arm off (see photo below). The large plastic piece has several small tabs that you must squeeze together while pushing thru the hole they go thru in the metal piece underneath. The large metal piece underneath (going across the front of the car has several screws that must be removed. Once you get both the large plastic and metal pieces removed you get good access to where the wiring harness goes thru the firewall. In hindsight I wish I used a slightly larger plastic tube and pushed thru a couple extra wires just in case I wanted them in the future.

IMG_0627_zpscce92458.jpg

Next step is to connect the 12 volt wires for the temperature gauge. First remove the cover that provides access to the fuses on the drivers side, per instructions in the manual (using a tape covered screwdriver tip to pry the plastic cover open, photo below).
IMG_0628_zpse7703d8d.jpg

On the bottom right there is a blue part, and just above that there are two rows of slots for wires to connect to (to the left of the black tube with wires coming out), see photo. That black tube has a white and black wire coming out that go into the top row, these are the +12V and ground that I used for the temperature gauge. When you press the start button for the car once, without your foot on the brake the 12 volts will come on. The wires are really tight coming out of the black tube, I had to cut and reconnect a couple other wires in order to have room to work. I also added wire to increase the length to give some slack and space for my connectors.
IMG_0595_zps7c3fbee2.jpg

IMG_0634_zpsee50d2f4.jpg

Final step was drilling the hole for the gauge. I used the area where the dimmer is for the dash light and the adjuster for the front lights. From underneath you can squeeze the two tabs and push these out the top, along with the four plastic dummy pieces. All six holes are keyed so the folks at Toyota building the car keep the devices in the same spot from car to car. To move the dimmer and light adjuster I put a small drill piece in the drill and used the side of the drill piece to rub away enough room to duplicate the keyed holes.

I then drilled a 2" hole using the device seen in the photo below (after practicing on a piece of wood and using the wood disc I cut out to mark where I wanted to drill in the car).
IMG_0661_zps52a3c8ee.jpg

It got a little messy when drilling, as seen in the following photo with small plastic shavings everywhere.

IMG_0599_zpsddef871d.jpg

I then installed the gauge in the 2" hole (after sanding smooth the edges), and connected the wiring (+12V (being sure to install a 1 Amp fuse per the Autometer instructions), ground, and two wires from sensor). There was a fifth wire for the gauge that goes to the dash lighting for dimming purposes but I did not use it.

Hope this is easy enough to follow.

I'm pretty sure my two existing dash switches (dimmer and the headlight tilt button) are not both one on top of the other on the right. One is in the upper left hand corner of the quadrant and the other is in the bottom center.

Edit: you moved them.

Yes, good clarification. I moved the two existing dash switches to the far right . If you look close in the last photo you can see where I used the drill to enlarge the "keyed" portion of the hole (right side for top switch, left side for bottom switch) so the switches would go in a different slot than what Toyota intended.

Hi EvBill,

I notice on the right of the adapter you installed for the temperature sensor there is an OEM temperature sensor. I wonder if you can use the same OEM temperature sensor to get the temperature reading instead of installing another temperature sensor.

Initially I thought about splicing into the wires from the OEM temperature sensor. It may have worked but I decided to play it safe and not touch the OEM sensor considering the critical role it plays in the thermal management system.

One other item I thought I should mention. There is a bracket that comes with the gauge, pictured below, that goes behind the gauge and secures it to the dash. Due to the thickness of the 4 plastic dummy pieces that I drilled a hole thru, the bracket will not work. I found that by drilling a 2" hole instead of a 2-1/16" hole the directions called for, you can get a nice tight fit (after a little sanding to smooth the edges) and the bracket is not needed.
IMG_0669_zpsb7c51993.jpg

EVBill,

thanks for the inspiration, I found a different temperature gage and this is the final product.

BTW, my coolant temperature never exceed 130F even during charging.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8317976@N05/9684928260/

Dark,

Very nice, I like the look with the rectangular gauge! Thanks for sharing the photo. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5% variation in readouts between the various sensors/gauges available.

Back